It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American workers got what they deserved

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   

American workers got what they deserved

www.hollandsentinel.com

Remember the Reagan standard? Are you better off today than you were a decade ago? Two decades? Three? Unless you make more than $380,000 a year, the answer is no. In fact, your standard of living over the last quarter century has actually decreased while millionaires have added 30 percent to their net wealth. Why?
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
The author calls out how ostrich-like American workers have been. Whether you agree with all the points or not, its true that the Americans I know are more focused on today and the next day than they are next month or next year.

One key point i believe the author missed is that if more folks broke out of the slave, I mean worker mindset, they would realize a job is good only until you start your own business...

Stop being so economically lazy America, and start taking ownership of your economy, both individually and as a nation!

www.hollandsentinel.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
What?

So if everybody owned their own business, who'd be left to work for them? Your statement is asinine.

I know several business owners and most of them would MUCH rather work for someone else even if they had to take a pay cut.

I think your comments show a complete lack of knowledge in regards to the US economy.
edit on 31-3-2011 by Decision because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

If the US is anything like the UK at the moment, then the assumption that people are merely being "lazy" about the national economy is at best misguided ,and at worst utterly reprehensible. The great majority of people do precisely as much as they can to control thier circumstances, by finding work anywhere they can, or starting up small businesses, as and when a bank will agree to allow them this honour (sarcasm? Why yes, thank you for asking).
The problems the man in the street has today, are often nothing to do with thier inability to grasp life and ride it to the horizon, but are to do with the suits in power grasping at every single coin and note in a mans pocket before he has even fed himself.
When the law supports the people , they flourish. When the law supports slavery , the people perish. Welcome to the future.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Maybe if people realised that if they worked as hard at getting their outgoings down as they do at earning as much as possible to meet higher costs then they must accept that the more stuff they have, the more they will pay, the less they will have in their pockets and the more they will be in debt.

A vicious circle my friends and mosts things these days are priced according to how much the market will pay, not what things are really worth. Especially utilities and new technology.

Sorry, but I have no sympathy for those who CHOOSE to live with the luxuries of life instead of what they need (new this, new that, brand names, latest tech and gadgets, etc..). Those luxuries mean far less to those who surround themselves with them day in day out and they fuel a habit of insecurity and delusion that has been shaping our world for ages.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I also cannot stand superficial people. Fakes is what i call em.
Too wrapped up in material exsistance, theres no true depth to em.
I've been well off, and I've been dirt poor....

I'd rather be poor, life seems more forfilling that way.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Decision

You dont need someone else to work for you if you own your own business. I know many people who go at it solo.

also, b/c you know a few business owners who CLAIM they would trade, doesnt mean you have your finger on the market either. Honestly, if they were serious, they would go do it. They dont because they like the money! Regardless, the info the OP put here was good, especially showing how much you would need to make to have the same purchasing power back in the 80's. If your going to call someone out, you should put more effort into, b/c I would have to say I question your business/economic sense as well.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Decision

Maybe he thinks every employee should be a contractor?

Wouldnt be so bad for people who are actually worth hiring. Every 6 months or so you could reevaluate your contract and either be dismissed, leave voluntarily or get a bump in pay for the next contract period.

Would beat the hell out of "steps" and COLA for employees that are worth it. With it being easier for employers to dismiss contractors they could save money in the long run.

Right now where I am I can think of three positions that have been eliminated for over three years now yet they are still here. In fact it's become a full time job coming up with nonsense busy work for these three positions.
It's like we've become a charity.

We could boot them out, bump one of the useful employees pay just a fraction of what they were making and have that employee take on what little the other three were doing (amounts to about 30 minutes a week of real work) and the employer is happy and the employee is happy and the three charity cases can go retire. They dont need the money. Hell, theyre rich. This is just social fun time for them like senior citizen day care.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

The right-wing have succeeded in dehumanising working class people again - portraying them as spongers, scroungers and profligate spendthrifts, aided and abetted by their mega-rich newspaper-mogul funders and allies - to deflect from the fact that their buddies in the City and Wall street have royally shafted us all. Privatising their profits, nationalising their debts, then blaming the very people who had replenished the coffers of the Treasury coffers year-in year-out with their hard-earned cash for the fact that those same coffers have been emptied into the pockets of the Fat Cat City spivs and crooks.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Everybody hates them.

One of the most influential people of the left often referred to them as rats who needed extermination.

If they wouldnt join the collective they were animals unworthy of life.

Good ol' Gorky.

People like workers when they can use them. People hate workers when they become liabilities. Political wings have nothing to do with that. It's simple valuation.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I could be wrong with this assumption but the point I believe the OP is trying to make is this.

American people complain about everything money related unless you are wealthy, so the point is stop complaining and do something about it. Most American people want everything handed to them.

Now if that is the point they are trying to make, I shall agree with him/her. If not, I have to agree with the other posters in this thread.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Decision
What?

So if everybody owned their own business, who'd be left to work for them? Your statement is asinine.

I know several business owners and most of them would MUCH rather work for someone else even if they had to take a pay cut.

I think your comments show a complete lack of knowledge in regards to the US economy.
edit on 31-3-2011 by Decision because: (no reason given)

Actually your assumption is asinine... Once again, if you read my post, I said that a job is a temporary phase until you start a business.... Its like the birth rate and death rate... You always have workers and business owners.... But only if more Americans started businesses

I think your comments show a complete lack of knowledge of what I actually posted. It's about balance... Too many consumers and not enough producers causes what we have today.... If we simply had a 25% raise in the amount of business owners in this country we could have a huge impact on our economy.
edit on 31-3-2011 by HunkaHunka because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit

If the US is anything like the UK at the moment, then the assumption that people are merely being "lazy" about the national economy is at best misguided ,and at worst utterly reprehensible. The great majority of people do precisely as much as they can to control thier circumstances, by finding work anywhere they can, or starting up small businesses, as and when a bank will agree to allow them this honour (sarcasm? Why yes, thank you for asking).
The problems the man in the street has today, are often nothing to do with thier inability to grasp life and ride it to the horizon, but are to do with the suits in power grasping at every single coin and note in a mans pocket before he has even fed himself.
When the law supports the people , they flourish. When the law supports slavery , the people perish. Welcome to the future.

Actually in the US jobs is a big thing... Most people think that a job provides them security, and it does not... Especially when they are all being shipped away... The laziness, if you read the article, which i don't think you did, has to do with political involvement to put steps in place to protect our economy... Holding elected officials accountable etc...

I started my business back in 2003... All while working for someone else... When my "job" disappeared in Jan of 09... I was fine because my business had grown to 15 employees.... While everyone else in that cube farm fell on very hard times.... That's pretty lazy
edit on 31-3-2011 by HunkaHunka because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Castogere

Spoken like a poor person with class envy.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Trying to figure out how I can reduce the contents
of the article into something smaller that I can play
with like a mouse.
Truth does hurt!

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Spoken like a person who is perpetualy missing the point.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit

Spoken like a person who is perpetualy missing the point.

I completely agree with you TrueBrit, but getting the point for some involves admitting things they'd rather not.

What really bugs me is that all those well off people who shell out for stuff without thinking too hard about it put the prices up for everyone.

EAT THE RICH!

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

The thing that galls me is that there are people ignorant enough to belive that every negative word said about them, means that people are envious of them. The fact of the matter is, that if you have been bought up in a decent fashion, it matters not one whit wether one has oodles of cash to spare, or wether one is strapped for a bob or two. I value the callouses on my hands, the scars on my palms, and the sweat and energy I expend to earn my meagre salary. I place NO value on the work of those who do not sweat, and I am proud to say that everything I own, I earned with blood and sweat and pain. Money earned by less strenuous means is money for nothing, and hardly something to be proud of.
The elitist fools running my nation at the moment are a great example of a group of people who are so far from poor, that they do not know how to solve ANY of the nations actual problems. That is perhaps why they keep inventing fiscal explosions for us all to loose our sanity over. Without such outrages, these soft handed , over dressed and under qualified morons would have no leverage to keep thier power. Eventualy the majority will learn of these deceptions, and power will be wrested from the fists of these thieves, and be put squarely where it truely belongs, which is in the safe, powerful hands of working class people, who know the real hardships of life, and therefore are more aware of the help that people REALLY need.

new topics

top topics

join