It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radiation found in US milk

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Even a "trace amount" of RADIATION in MILK is too much.

Ridiculous.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

This is so true - even the scientists can't agree on this one - they're in an unknown area and they know it. Mix into the equation the self interests of the various corporations, the exposed depopulation plans and I say - Play Safe and follow your own nose.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

and follow your own nose.

zomg, now I want fruit loops!

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
The one thing I read is that the amounts are "miniscule" but as the plant keeps emitting radiation, could the amounts gradually increase over time. Oh the stuff that's left out of reports..

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I'm amazed that this went national. Especially since I live in WA and the local media stressed that these levels are "Far below the risk level, and in fact are no higher than have been recorded prior to the Japanese nuclear reactor disaster."

I wonder then, why would they even bring it up? Fear Mongering? WTH??

On a side note and speaking of the Japan Quake on March 11th. On March 9th, the local media aired a story about tsunami alarm testing in Grays Harbor Co. They stressed that this is a monthly test (which it is), done throughout the county, and just wanted the people in the area to be aware that they were performing a test of the tsunami alarm system. Hmmmmmmmmmm....

Even more intriguing to this is that I did a search of all major local media and this story about the "tests" does not come up anywhere!

I for one, found it odd that they would have to stress the point that this was merely a test, considering anyone who lives in Grays Harbor County should be aware of this test if it in fact takes place on a monthly basis (I might add that the series of tones generated by the alarm system is ongoing for 1 minute, then stops...an actuall tsunami warning is in short bursts, up and down in tone.) The point is, who the heck were they trying to kid.... and how convenient is it that they issued this "test" 3 days prior to our west coasts tsunami alert??? Maybe to warn the "Higher ups?"

I smell cow crap! The media is directed, and it is up to us to decipher the riddles they place in front of our very eyes!

So... now that we know our dairy farms 400 miles inland have been infected with radiation, what do we do? Ideas? I actually have noticed my urine glowing in the dark these last few days...(yes, I pee in the dark on occasion)

Answers, theories, comments??

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Cloudsinthesky

What most people don't understand concerning the safety levels is that they are based on a "ONE" time exposure.

In very simple terms half of the Iodine-131 will be non-radioactive, in 2 weeks 3/4 of it will not be radioactive and in about a month it will be back to about normal levels.

I hope you understand that.

If you are really worried eat a lot of iodized salt or get iodine tablets from your Doctor. If you load your thyroid with normal iodine it will not absorb the Iodine-131.

How come everyone forgets all the nuclear bombs exploded above ground in the fifties and sixties at White Sands and Trinity???

There were over 900 atmospheric and underground nuclear test in the USA alone. There were 12 high-altitude nuclear tests during the late 1950′s and early 1960′s off the coast of California at Johnston Island.

From 1945 until 2008, there have been over 2,000 nuclear tests conducted worldwide.

THIS is the MAP of US fallout exposure from all that above ground bomb testing.

Per capita thyroid doses in the continental United States of Iodine-131 resulting from all exposure routes from all atmospheric nuclear tests conducted at the Nevada Test Site.

I was born and raised in one of the more "heavily exposed areas" I have always been a heavy milk drinker. I drank about a quart until 1986 when I developed lactose intolerance and switched to cheese.

The introduction of iodized salt in the United States was in 1924. However most food was cooked at home during the forties, fifties and sixties. The dosage of iodized salt was much less than we get today. (I kept getting sick in Gym class in the 1960's due to a lack of salt. I dislike the taste)

So far I have lived longer than most of the people in my family. Both my parents died of cancer and so did my grand parents. I am retired and have no cancer.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by gingerkoala

Even a "trace amount" of RADIATION in MILK is too much.

Ridiculous.

Well then you had better stop eating entirely because ALL FOOD IS RADIOACTIVE and SO ARE YOU!

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by kuai137

The one thing I read is that the amounts are "miniscule" but as the plant keeps emitting radiation, could the amounts gradually increase over time. Oh the stuff that's left out of reports..

If you would bother to look it up you would see it id Iodine-131 it decays giving off beta and gamma emissions, not alpha. It ends up as Xenon, ac olorless, odorless noble gas.

The half-life is 8.0197 days

Iodine-131 can be "seen" by nuclear medicine imaging techniques (i.e., gamma cameras) whenever it is given for therapeutic use,

The primary emissions of 131I decay are thus beta particles with a maximal energy of 606 keV (89% abundance, others 248 – 807 keV) and 364 keV gamma rays (81% abundance, others 723 keV).[4] Beta decay, as always in this process, also produces an antineutrino, which carries off variable amounts of the beta decay energy.

The beta particles, due to their high mean energy (190 keV, with typical beta-decay spectra present) have a tissue penetration of 0.6 to 2 mm.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
even low levels of radiation ingested over time will kill you and has other adverse effects.

its in the air it moves on it goes into the ground and cattle eat the grass that comes from the ground now its milk next its your burgers if you think being a vegetarian will save you nope.

once the ground becomes contaminated even with low levels the cummulative effect is what matters.

they are lying to you its that simple.
edit on 31-3-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
scary indeed.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Much Ado About Nothing

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
What a mess....ugh......Best case scenario more fear tactics, worst case no fresh food is save...

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
you gotta love it! two threads on the same subject!
one has people making sense and one does not.

the question is....what do we really know

answer is... a huge NADA.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by crimvelvet

The half-life is 8.0197 days

and we can start counting those days when the fallout stops...what day is that going to be??

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I just wanted to take a minute to say something about the Iodine and Cesium being found in milk. This is going to apply more to the northerly states (Vermont) Very few dairy cows are going to be on pasture at this time of year they will be being feed crops harvested during the last growing season. The vast majority of this feed will have been kept covered since harvest with the express purpose of preventing precipitation from coming into contact with the feed.
The dairy cattle's water supply will have been a well plumbed to a water tank most likely also covered. Dairy cattle are not normally allowed to drink from rivers or other sources of ground water as their many hooves quickly churn the ground to mud and their udders are prone to infection.
For the most part dairy cattle currently producing milk will always have their feed brought to them and those you may see on pasture are either younger stock or in the later stage of pregnancy during which they are not milked.
Dairy Cattle eat Corn, Alfalfa (Hay) and a little soybeans as a supplement. The first feed the would be eating grown this year would be right after 1st cutting of Alfalfa in your area (often right after corn is planted).
I'm not sure exactly what this means but I am sure that a dairy cow in Vermont is not going to be out on pasture eating great quantities of grass that has been dusted with fallout because the grass isn't there right now and the Dairy Cows mostly never are.

I posted this in the main Fukushima thread but thought it might fit better here

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by iforget

Exactly. Which is why this thread was started earlier: abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by webworker

ok ill put it there also as i feel it is important didnt meant to step on your toes

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join