It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Philosophy is one of those crazy new age ideas!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Last week I went to a book store in the local mall of Phillipsburg, NJ. While my girlfriend was camping out in the cook book section, I got bored and decided to ask where the philosophy section was because I can never find it there. An attendent lead me the a section of three book cases (two of religion (all christian), one of new age (all 'look at the scary witches' isn't it trendy) and half a shelf at the bottom of philosophy).

WTF you backwards hicks!!!

I was utterly aghast at this and wanted to get out of that town as soon as possible never to return as I had just watched The Hills Have Eyes the day before this. Now Phillipsburg is quite a populated, although dingy, town. I really wasn't expecting this in New Jersey. I suppose that my question to you all is: Is philosophy really seen as such an uncredible thing.

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 09:42 AM
link   

While my girlfriend was camping out in the cook book section

Your GIRLFRIEND!

i take it i'm out of the picture then :shk:

anyways, philosophy has always confused me

[Edited on 24-7-2004 by infinite]

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna
Last week I went to a book store in the local mall . . . .

Well, there's you're problem.

Now if you told me that you wanted some authentic Barbeque, and had gone to the local McDougal's, and ordered the McRibs, I could understand your shock and dismay.

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 04:48 PM
link   
That is funny Jonna,

In the local bookstore where I live you have and entire section of dedicated to the southern civil war (I am from the south)

Third of the store is on religion alone,

One shelve for the alternative mix with witchcraft,

One shelves for world history but we have a large selection of Philosophy!

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft

Originally posted by Jonna
Last week I went to a book store in the local mall . . . .

Well, there's you're problem.

Now if you told me that you wanted some authentic Barbeque, and had gone to the local McDougal's, and ordered the McRibs, I could understand your shock and dismay.

I have never had this sort of thing happen in NJ before. There has always been at least one book case devoted to philosophy in stores like Walden books and Barns & Nobels before. Funny thing is that I owned 75% of the books they did have.

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I kind of like the book store because it has a cafe and I like to sit and socialize while drinking my breve with a hint of hazelnut.

However, when I want a specific book I go online and research the topics and when I find what I want I go and order the book from the store.

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 05:06 PM
link   
seriously, B&N try to carry mostly the books they bind themselves. In history especially, this means that they publish mediocre or dated authors, merely because they have purchased the copyright. They can manufacture their own books, and get more of the mark-up for themselves.

The government is not the one engaged in thought control. B&N defines debate in America more than Rush Limbaugh or Paul Harvey could ever hope to.

Talk the the B&N manager. Recommend several books you found on AMAZON that are classics that they don't carry. I did this, and they ordered me a copy of a Mishnaic Hebrew Dictionary (Jastrow), for FREE! The thing retails probably $65!

B&N and their competitors try to run a "just in time" inventory. They have a computer model of the public's buying habits, and try to only set out as many books as will be purchased. This means they rarely carry 'slow movers.'

They are extremely sensitive about this shortcoming, and will bend over backwards to hide the fact from the public, that they push their own imprint, and try not to sell anything they didn't print. Once you point this out, they start giving you free stuff.

If only my boss was like that!!!!

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 05:18 PM
link   
You can order books online used for lest than that, I will pay a reasonable price but that is if the book I want is too expensive to order from the store I will get it used on line.

I like books that are controversial and my local bookstore does not carry these books so I order online.

new topics

top topics

join