It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Duplicate posts and why people do it !

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
you have an idea for a topic... you do your search and find this has already been discussed... what do you do?

if it's me, i'll post my new thread anyway for one simple reason - people lose interest and don't subscribe to threads for ever... i wanted to start a thread on Jedi so i did my search, found an existing threadm read through it, thought it was cool and posted a reply and waited and waited and waited... nothing! THEN i realised the thread was started in 2003 !!! if i post a thread i do so because i want discussion, not to have my thread sit in a mouldy corner of ATS!

hope this makes sense :-)

not sure how to address the problem but i believe it is a problem...

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
This post is as effective as telling people not to ask for questions when stores have huge signs saying "No CHEQUES!"

We are human, not machines. Deal with it

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Maybe what you posted didn't garner any responses hence it sat there. You post it goes to the top of recent discussions so many have the opportunity to peruse.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by HoldTheBeans

it would all depend on how you use ATS... i have REAL TIME ATS ACTIVITY open in one tab and MY ATS in another... the posts don't show up there...

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by gaia.chi.au

From what I understand, its OK to start a new thread on the same subject matter of an old thread so long as the older thread is dead and is quite old. What "quite old" is, is up to you to decide. I would say at least a year old in most cases.

Also, if you have a unique take on an old thread or want to explore it from a new angle, its OK to start a new thread unless its a subject that's been done to death.

Of course, creationism/ Darwinist threads don't seem to follow these rules. A new one seems to pop up arguing over the exact same material every day.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

The same goes for the gay threads. It is pretty much a sure thing that there will be a new one every week and every week the same things get said -- the same pros and the same cons and almost no-one ever moves or changes their opinion or belief as a result. -- and yet they go on and on.

New ones get started before the old ones have actually died out. Some of this rehashing just gets extremely boring as it doesn't seem to get anywhere.

I seriously hope this doesn't derail this thread because just mentioning the subject will often garner a blast of pros and cons; even tho it isn't the subject at hand here.

It is a good thing for an important subject to get brought up anew from time to time if the issue is getting neglected. Then there are the other subjects that probably should be "curfewed" from time to time because just like an off road trail, the trenches can get too deep to navigate after awhile.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I always thought it came from double clicking

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
It's old thinking. Outmoded thinking from an imbecilic paradigm ruled by the stunted, withered spirit.It is where we use the thoughts of others as our own. It is where we know not our greatness, our capacity to love...to create. In the new reality we ourselves are more so the Creator. We create our reality as one. So create your own. Learn how to do it now. It will make the change easier.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I did a reply on a thread that was a year old on oop artifacts and the thread got removed because it had already been discussed!
I didn't start the thread and it was a year old!
Com'on,really??

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Better to beg forgiveness than ask permission.

Just make the new thread if you want. Anything more than a year old will probably not get called out anyway.

That said I would still do the search and check forums because if there is an active discussion or fairly recent the jackals here will come to feed on you.

new topics

top topics

join