It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lesbian Couple Files for Divorce

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 12:21 PM
link   
story.news.yahoo.com.../ap/20040722/ap_on_re_ca/canada_gay_divorce

Marriage isn't what its cracked up to be I guess.........

The funny thing here though.........

The federal Divorce Act hasn't been amended to apply to same-sex couples. HA_HA

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I can't really follow your point and from the article. This happends all the time with Hetero sexuals too. It's not really new for married people to devorce so quickly.

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Oh to be a divorce lawyer right now.....

This is fantastic. It shows that gay people are human too. I love to hear arguement of same-sex marraige. People are fighting so hard for something many married people can't stand. Bieng married. Who cares, let them marry each other. It is not like it is not out in the open. The other night I was trying to find something on regular TV without a gay character. It used to be the "token black or mexican or drunken irish cop" on each show.

Same sex marraige could boost the economy with more jobs for wedding planners and such. Caterers will be needed more , and to own a floral shop would be ideal. However, I have always thought of how much of a boost divorce lawyers will get. Let them pay some child support or alimony and see how much they want to get married. NOvelty is one thing, a commitment is another.

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by esdad71
Oh to be a divorce lawyer right now.....

This is fantastic. It shows that gay people are human too. I love to hear arguement of same-sex marraige. People are fighting so hard for something many married people can't stand. Bieng married. Who cares, let them marry each other. It is not like it is not out in the open. The other night I was trying to find something on regular TV without a gay character. It used to be the "token black or mexican or drunken irish cop" on each show.

Same sex marraige could boost the economy with more jobs for wedding planners and such. Caterers will be needed more , and to own a floral shop would be ideal. However, I have always thought of how much of a boost divorce lawyers will get. Let them pay some child support or alimony and see how much they want to get married. NOvelty is one thing, a commitment is another.

As a veteran of 2 hetero marriages, and currently in a same-sex relationship, I have to say I've been on both sides of the marriage/divorce fence. I couldn't drop hubby #2 fast enough, once I found out how mcuh damage he could do to my credit and the crap he could put me through protecting my assets. I paid plenty to hubby#1 to keep my house, and #2 threatened to fight me for it, even though he had no legal right to it. Let alone the fact that his ex wife could have made claims on me too.

Now that I'm in a same sex relationship, I find myself wishing for legal marriage, not because I think a piece of paper makes a commitment any more important, but for the rights and protections it grants.

As it stands, even if I pay a lawyer to write up a will, living will, power of attorney and all that stuff, my wishes being carried out depends on the good will of my family. Right now I'd much rather pay the $54 for a license that guarantees everything, with the back up of a thought out pre-nup.

As for the token gay thing - I agree with you. I think the media is ramming gay folk down people's throats to create a backlash. People will get fed up with the novelty of it all and drop the call for gay marriage. Meanwhile it will still be the rage to have commitment ceremonies. So no social upheaval of legal recognition, but all the marketing that goes along with the whole marriage business. Ick!

--Saerlaith

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 01:03 PM
link   
In canada there is no legislation in place to allow the Same sex divorce.

[edit on 23-7-2004 by Perfect stranger]

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Oh well. This proves that gay couples can have marrige just like straight couples. But if people are going to use this against gays I have no problem with that except look at how long Brittney Spears was married.

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Perfect stranger
In canada there is no legislation in place to allow the Same sex divorce.
[edit on 23-7-2004 by Perfect stranger]

A good lawyer could make a case and win, big time.

How can Canada allow same-sex marrage without making the same changes to Divorce law?

Sounds like Hetro discrimination. Hetro's have to get divorced, but gays can just walk away. Big time discrimination.

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 02:32 PM
link   
If we are to move forward and give freedom to all we have to expect the same things to happen that already do. Look at the divorce rates of hetrosexual couples now, far more people split up than stay together. This isn't exactely a big deal is it? This cannot be used in any way to argue against the case for Gay and lesbian marriage to be allowed.

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I think this was the same couple that took the right to marry to court, now they are trying to make divorce legal for gays too. I'll bet that once the legal aspects of divorce an marriage are on the books, they will remarry, after all someone has to bring the case to court.

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 04:15 AM
link   
So they are apparently just doing this so that they will make it posible for gay couples to divorce too? Well it's pretty selfless to put yourself through that for the benefit of everyone else.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 03:47 AM
link   
They should make a tv show out this. Like DIVORCE COURT FOR GAYS. I would be glued to the television, for the first few minutes anyways.

BEFORE

AFTER

top topics

join