It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happened when Columbus landed? Opinions and interpretations welcome.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
This Thread is meant for the as yet silent History forum.

What I require is any resource (especially film/clips) or references to the "Columbus landing" and initial colonial encounter in the "Other World" (or as it is often mistranslated - "The New World").

Text or book versions are also most welcome.

The question is: can we ever agree on a truth of what happened on that day?

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I cannot find the story, but apparently, the natives could not see the boat (since they have never seen anything like it, it ceased to exist), it was the shamans that first saw strange ripples in the water, and eventually the boats appeared to them and then the other natives. Simillarly, the men who were on horseback were not distinguished as two seperate creatures, the people thought they were one thing.... again that could be a tall tale, but I heard about it in `what the bleep do we know`

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by el1jah

that would be in "A People's History Of The United States" by Howard Zinn

source

excellent story of human perception that to me goes with UFO sightings...

anyways..

Columbus put everyone to work mining Gold till 99% died...

as for agreeing about what happened.. Mr Zinn's account comes from a Catholic Priest that was with him who wrote a first hand account..
edit on 29-3-2011 by reeferman because: quotes in such..

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman
This Thread is meant for the as yet silent History forum.

What I require is any resource (especially film/clips) or references to the "Columbus landing" and initial colonial encounter in the "Other World" (or as it is often mistranslated - "The New World").

Text or book versions are also most welcome.

The question is: can we ever agree on a truth of what happened on that day?

I don't think the camera had been invented then, but good luck with your research.

2nd line.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I bet the first witness ran and told all his friend what he saw. "There were these strange white beings in these massive floating vessels, and there was strange lights and noise"

Then the native version of Phage explained to him that what he saw was impossible and that he is either wrong or lying and that he should just stop before he makes an even bigger ass of himself. Then everyone feels better and they go back to drinking coc aine leaves around the fire before being horribly slaughtered the next week.

....Yup.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
His very first trip was rather uneventful; it wasn’t until the subsequent trips that his cruelty, certainly not uncommon at that time, was made evident. There are a lot of sources for Columbus. I would argue against reading Zinn because he’s a worthless no good commie stooge who writes polemical manifestos disguised as “history”.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by reeferman

True, the camera certainly wasn't around, and our oral history in the Western stream is as unreliable as that of the Taino.
What I meant was a movie clip.
This encounter is filmed in several series and movies, and each one is different and arguably reflects the politics of the day.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
For example, a mayor debate: the first meeting reflects different interests and, since the 1980s film depiction have a foreboding of the conquest to come.
But actually, the first decades of conquest everywhere in North America were pretty peaceful.
Conquest did come, but not immediately.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
1492: The Conquest of Paradise.
A doggedly postmodern version and title.
To me it makes earlier versions of Columbus strolling ashore to meet kneeling "Indians" seem banal.
Note the Amazon Indian vs Polynesian film myth of the Taino - here they only appear in the jungle.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
The 1985 mini-series on Chrisopher Columbus.
Where did they find the "extinct" actors?
Always nice high-cultured music with Columbus moments.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
American are SO lucky.
White SA (or the template for any white "civilization") was laid with Jan Van Riebeeck.
en.wikipedia.org...
Nobody evens knows or cares, yet SA's Khoisan people are the oldest on the planet.
There's not one film, nothing - our tribal culture here passes in silence!

Nevertheless, I wish somebody could point me to the first "Columbus Arrival" in cinema.
edit on 29-3-2011 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I mean countless movies make the "enemy" the yellow peril, the red peril, the black peril, the Arab peril.
Nothing has changed since the first Columbus movie.
How sad...

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Columbus:

To this day I carry them who are still of the opinion that I come form heaven ... And they were the first people to proclaim it wherever I arrived; and the others went running from house to house and to the neighboring villages, with loud cries: Come! Come to see the people from heaven!

Columbus cited in: Brandon, William:Indians. The American Heritage Library: Houghton Mifflin Company, Boston. 1989. Pp.74-75.
edit on 29-3-2011 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Did the Taino really fulfill Columbus' hubris and shout about him being from heaven?
What really happened?????

top topics

join