It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michigan is screwed!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Wow!

Apparently the GOP Governor of Michigan, Rick Snyder, has finally come to the realization that Michigan will have to raise taxes. So, guess who's going to see the tax increases? The poor, the elderly, and students.

Well at least this will have some positive effect, by closing the budget gap by $1.7 Billion.

But wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The $1.7 Billion will NOT be used to close the gap. Nope! Governor Snyder wants to apply it to his proposal for $1.8 Billion in corporate tax cuts! Yup, you heard right. Tax the poor, the elderly and the students and turn right around and give it to corporations. Since this won't do squat for the budget gap, any bets you'll hear more deficit hawks in Michigan crying "we have to cut entitlement and benefits"?

Please watch this video which I find myself unable to embed...

www.youtube.com...

I know there are a lot of people who do not care for Rachel Maddow, but please concentrate on the message and not the messenger.

Thoughts?

P.S. - Would some kind-hearted ATSers embed the vid please? Thanks!
edit on 29-3-2011 by Hessling because: Add a P.S.

edit on 29-3-2011 by Hessling because: Spelling

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Hessling

Here you go.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
welcome to the new re-distribution
of wealth.

ETA: retracted the video embed, poster
above me posted it.
edit on 3/29/2011 by boondock-saint because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by AdamsMurmur

That's more like it!

Kind regards for the assist AdamsMurmur!

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
welcome to the new re-distribution
of wealth.

ETA: retracted the video embed, poster
above me posted it.
edit on 3/29/2011 by boondock-saint because: (no reason given)

Ain't it the truth!

As far as the vid goes, hey! It's the thought that counts. So I give you a hearty thanks as well.

Peace.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Hessling

No problem.

This is some pretty harsh stuff right here, akin to dictatorship.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
This has been posted several times. How do you tax the poor? They get all their income tax returned and more, they get WIC, food stamps, welfare, unemployment, the list goes on. They get more out of the tax system than they could ever put back in.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by jjkenobi

im poor i pay child suport and i have my kids half the time if not more i get no asitance from the state i barly get buy.i go to my parents house to get food for my kids its not like the goverment is thare for you maybe some people but i take care of my own nomatter how hard it is.just have to get back to the things like takeing the kids to the park or haveing a bawnfire the kids love and not buying stuf you dont nead. i have happy kids top of thare class and im broke as crap no help from the goverment i just pay them rrrrr sorry makes me angry.i just wacthed a video on detroit and think thay need to get the people back give companys atleast 5 years tax free insetaves it still would help the local aconamy with the work force spending thare mony thare. in dubi thar is no taxes and look how that has grown detroit need to do that to. and rick snyder? omg werse than hittleri mean really tax the poor and elderly? i know times are ruff i live it daily but make the most of it rick dic,, snyder is going about it all rong!! wish i was govaner i would try and fix things not take out local afishals thats so crap and rong

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   

thare is alot of poor people that dont get crap from the goverment that could and still pay taxes and get buy

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
bump and really like some replys
thanks

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Tax the poor and elderly is just sound bites for the democrats. The poor don't have any money and don't pay taxes. The elderly may or may not have income to tax.

It's always the middle class that gets stuck with tax increases. You can't take money from people that don't have it.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildbob77

im poor and work pay 200 bucks a week to taxes im far from middle class thow

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
This is nuts, how could such a politician expect to get re elected? Maybe when these corporate bonuses go to fema camps to lock up the people for the crime of being poor and taking them of the electoral role. When the people just roll over an take it, the big business is just going to keep on giving it.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
What business are you going to tax? Manufacturing no longer exists in the US. Taxes are higher than anywhere else in the free world. Rregulations eat up all the profits, i.e. OSHA, EPA, CARB, insurance, That pretty much just leaves the service industry. Go after the banks and the consumer will get the bill passed onto them through fees.

Who are the rich? At what income level do you start? 100K 200K, 1Mill. Corporations are no longer based here, so they cannot be taxed. This is all due to NAFTA and GATT folks.

THE USA HAS NO MONEY!!!!!!!! The people have no money! We have spent our way into oblivion and there is no way out. If you tax EVERYONE AT 100 % you still cannot make up the difference the government is spending, WE HAVE TO STOP SPENDING!!!!!! Unfortunately, yes, the underpriveledged will feel the cuts first and hardest. Not to mention that we may well see people starving in the streets soon if the dollar is not strengthened. People it is only going to get worse. The bad thing is, it is our own greedy fault!

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by slayerfan

thare is alot of poor people that dont get crap from the goverment that could and still pay taxes and get buy

You're darn right their are slayerfan. I know because I was there once and still know several people in that situation. They refuse to accept any sort of "hand-out" from the Government no matter how dire a situation they are in. I used to be one such person, during a particularly brutal part of the 2000-2001 recession. Then someone said, "hey, haven't you ever paid taxes?". I replied yes and they said "then it isn't a hand-out; your taxes paid for this if/when the time should come".

Peace.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by reluctantpawn

oh
I hope the nice cashier that cashes out our groceries isn't one of the ones who starves, or the kind chinese guy that delievers us food every once in awhile, or...........

the idea that the poor just a bunch of idle people who are sitting one their arse and not doing anything isn't true.
many of the poor (at my defination of poor), are working 40, sometimes more a week. they pay taxes, they make too much for the handouts, although their paychecks don't fully cover their necessities. tax them and I betcha ten to one, they will have to open up the guidelines for the handouts a little more (again!!) to keep them happy...so, well, what good did taxing them more do anyways.....it's probably costing you more when they fall into the category of ward of the state!
and well, starve them??? who then would cash out the rich's groceries, take care of their kids, prepare their ritzy food at the resturant?? who would clean their hotel room,make their bed???
na, they ain't gonna starve their servants, at least not all of them...
if they did, well...
they'd have to do some of the real work.......
na, never have to, they'd starve a little while after the last of their cooks died off!

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
And the hits just keep coming...

Just saw this moments ago and thought I'd add a little spice to the thread...

Michigan Cuts Jobless Benefits by Six Weeks...

www.nytimes.com...

A couple of tidbits from the article...

Michigan, whose unemployment rate has topped 10 percent longer than that of any other state, is about to set another record: its new Republican governor, Rick Snyder, signed a law Monday that will lead the state to pay fewer weeks of unemployment benefits next year than any other state.

And...

The measure, passed by a Republican-led Legislature, took advocates for the unemployed by surprise: the language cutting benefits next year was slipped quietly into a bill that was originally sold as way to preserve unemployment benefits this year.

And...

But business groups saw the state’s need to change its unemployment law as an opportunity to make the cuts to benefits that they have long sought.

Corporations winning out over the little guy? Who'd a thunk it?
edit on 29-3-2011 by Hessling because: More to add.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
the republicans act like the next election is a sure shot, as long as there is no drastic improvement in the economy. but, well, got to tell ya, they are getting too bold, too blatant on their desires I think. and that could cost them the election. waht it just might all come down to is do ya want people in washington who will work to preserve the food on your table, or do you want someone who will take that food away, and give it to a rich banker or ceo, or large corp??
I'm halfway incline to think that there might be a third party raising up, god knows we need one, who will take it by surprise. although, that just might be wishful thinking...

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hessling

Corporations winning out over the little guy? Who'd a thunk it?
edit on 29-3-2011 by Hessling because: More to add.

Apparently it seems Republicans have a delight in "thunking" things out like this...

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by dawnstar
the idea that the poor just a bunch of idle people who are sitting one their arse and not doing anything isn't true.
many of the poor (at my defination of poor), are working 40, sometimes more a week. they pay taxes, they make too much for the handouts, although their paychecks don't fully cover their necessities.

Yes. One definition of middle class was the ability to save, pretax. When paychecks (not from one job but three or more these days) won't cover the expenses, let alone offer any left over to save, that's poor.

Here is a sad read about this country's growing working poor...and that was from 2008, using date from 2002-2006! Pre current economy crisis!

Even the now-much-beloved-by-the-right-wing-for-the-wrong-reasons organizer, Saul Alinsky, said that the poor cannot bring change in the United States, as they do not have the money/power to do so. Only the middle class could make changes in this country.

(Maybe there was a conspiracy to get rid of the middle class starting 30 years ago? Want to become a teacher? According to this article, if you have a family of four, you'ld start out as a low income family, And this income is what has the GOP govs all in a snit? Seems like the GOP won't be happy until every working family is low income.)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join