It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Kerry Can Win

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 10:20 AM
link   
First of all, I want to preface this with I AM NOT ENDORSING KERRY! Nor do I support Bush. I'm just kind of watching it all from the sidelines. I voted for Bush in 2000, but now I think he HAS GOT TO GO! He is the most dangerous president we have ever had. Cheney is the most dangerous VP we have ever had. And Rumsfeld? Don't get me started on that evil little twit! I don't know what I'll do come November. I may swallow the bile rising in my throat and vote for Kerry and then again, I might just sit this one out. It's all very interesting, though.

The two contenders are running two very different campaigns, which I find quite telling. BushCo.'s campaign is full of attacks and vitriol. Why? Because they have absolutely NOTHING to run on. So, they are going to do everything in their power to make Kerry out to be a weak-kneed, candy-a$$ed, liberal ____ you fill in the blank. He is not any of those, by the way. At least not in my opinion. And I've been following him for quite some time. It's important to point out, too; While Kerry volunteered for hazardous duty in the 'Nam - when he did not have to - Bush was busy bein the playboy back in Texas. At least Kerry understands what it means to send men and women into harm's way. Bush does not.

Kerry's campaign, on the other hand has borrowed largely from Edward's failed bid. (Which caused him to end up at the top of the heap, just below Kerry.) It's positive, and doesn't even mention the opposition. Talk about a breath of fresh air. I don't know about you folks, but I'm sick and damn tired of all gloom and doom all of the time since 9-11 (from this administration) and the viciousness emanating from the GOP. If they can't appeal to me with their superior arguments and positions than they can just get outta my face with their hostile behavior and rhetoric. And I'm saying this as a lifelong, conservative Republican.

Here's a good article on how Kerry can win:

How Kerry Can Win
By Kevin Phillips
The Nation

John Kerry can win, given George W. Bush's incompetence, and White House strategists realize that. All the Democrats need to do is to peel away some of the Republican "unbase" - the most wobbly members of the GOP coalition. The caveat is that not many Democrats understand that coalition or why it has beaten the Democrats most of the time since 1968. Nor do most understand the convoluted but related role of Bill Clinton in aborting what could have been a 1992-2004 (or 2008) mini-cycle of Democratic White House dominance and in paving the way for George W.

Elements of this shortsightedness are visible in both the party and the Kerry campaign. While attempts to harness "Anybody but Bush" psychologies and to attract voters without saying much that is controversial might win Kerry a narrow victory, this strategy would be unlikely to create a framework for successful four- or eight-year governance. Deconstructing the Republican coalition is a better long-term bet, and could be done. The result, however, might be to uncage serious progressive reform.
www.truthout.org...

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I don't think Kerry has a chance in hell to win the election, I think what the Democrats are doing is setting the stage for Hillary Clinton in 2008.

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by jeeze louise
I don't think Kerry has a chance in hell to win the election, I think what the Democrats are doing is setting the stage for Hillary Clinton in 2008.

What do you base that on? It is Hillary Clinton, in my opinion, who doesn't stand a chance in hell. She is WAY too polarizing. Still.

CLARIFICATION

Let me clarify something I stated in my original post. (Before I get flamed off the board.)

So, they are going to do everything in their power to make Kerry out to be a weak-kneed, candy-a$$ed, liberal ____ you fill in the blank. He is not any of those, by the way.

Kerry is considered the most liberal member of the Senate after Kennedy. What I meant was, they are gonna shove that 'he's a coward and traitor' message down our throats from now until November.

Although I used to abhor liberal policies and those who pushed them, we're are at a crossroads here. The fate of our nation, not to mention that of the entire world, probably rests with who takes the helm in November. All those liberal positions I used to feel mattered so much still matter, but not nearly as much as what is right before us. Wonton Death and Destruction trumps all of the rest.

When Bush is out of office we can go back to debating all of those issues from our respective corners. Yes, Kerry is a liberal. That does not make him a coward or a traitor. It means he's got a much broader perspective and is more willing to see things not so much in the stark terms of black and white and might makes right. Right now, I say its not such a bad thing. Our nation is desperate need of balance. And until George Dubya rode into town, honest dissent and disagreement never hurt this nation. It only strengthened it. If you don't believe that, take another look at the Civil Rights movement.

[edit on 19-09-2003 by EastCoastKid]

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Hillary would be my last choice, I would vote for Mickey Mouse first! but based on what I read in the media, and from talking to people, it just seems to me that she is being groomed for the role. How a Junior Senator from New York has so much power(Bill of course) is still mystifying.She is everywhere these days.

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 11:19 AM
link   
She's been working all her life for a shot at the presidency. Anyone who thinks Hill and Bill married because of love is naive in the extreme. Their marriage was a cold, calculated business agreement. Had it not been for him, she wouldn't be anywhere near where she's at now.

I was so glad to see Kerry not fall for picking her. It would have meant sudden death for his campaign.

Out of the two, Hillary was the scary one. Bill's just a political whore who loves face-time.

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 11:22 AM
link   
First let me state that I am independent and as of yet undecided on my choice for this fall.

Now, what troubles me is that with all of the negative feelings people have of the current President, Kerry has not capitalized on any of these. Right now it is still basicly a dead heat and even Kerry's choice of the personable "down home" VP candidate Edwards, still did not give Kerry the expected bump in the polls.

I think that many voters are on the fence right now and if Kerry wants to win he needs to focus on talking about what he will do if he is elected. I know he has been saying to anyone who listens "I have a plan", well the American public has heard this message and want to know "what is the plan?". Spell it out, show that your plans even have the support you would need to implement these plans.

This election is very important and voters are going to have to make a lot of tough decisions so the message must be transparent and as complete as possible, though the details may be boring without them the voters are left with promises which we all know come in bucketfuls during election season soon to be discarded after the elections are finished.

I await Kerry's message and plans, but time is running out.....

This is one undecided voter's opinion on Kerry, what is yours?

[edit on 23-7-2004 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I certainly agree with you on that one! Of the two she is by far the smartest and untrustworthy, I would not trust a thing she said. I think anyone and anything would be a stepping stone for her. I imagine there are 100's if not thousands of people stomped down by her footsteps.She is one scary woman-who says the antichrist has to be a man?

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 11:42 AM
link   
East Coast,

Please don't continue your "I am a long time Republican" rhetoric. No one buys it.

The venom you spew overwhelms any attept of yours to come accross as anything but a died in the wool anti BUSH liberal.

I do not doubt you are a good person so save your venom. I am not accusing you of being anti american. just misguided.

1. Not one person in the administration is saying Kerry is a traitor. What they are saying is that this man has never a decision he can not change sides on. Do you want a President that changes side like underwear?

2. Kerry has missed more votes then ANY OTHER member of Congress. He can't do the job he was voted in to office for. All to run for another job.

3. YOU NEVER CHANGE A WAR TIME PRESIDENT. Unless he /she is caught personally torturing puppies you give ammo to the enemy. We changed to Nixon and what did that get us? More war because he wanted to prove how hard he is.

Stop the bashing. But even more be honest with yourself. You are a liberal anti war person. Don't try to hide who you are.

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I think it naive to base the reason for a vote for Kerry on the supposition that it is a vote for an end to the war on terrorism. Very naive.

new topics

top topics

join