It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nuclear Disaster - Plutonium found

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Nuclear Disaster - Plutonium found

af.reuters.com

TOKYO, March 28 (Reuters) - Plutonium has been found in soil at various points within Japan's stricken Fukushima Daiichi nuclear complex but does not present a risk to human health, operator Tokyo Electric Power Co (TEPCO) said on Monday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Ok. I just saw on CNN that they found plutonium in soil. But it does not represent a threat to human health. HOW stupid do they think we are?!?! This is the worst poison.

If there are still people here who think it's all ok and they are ''taking care of it''. Then whatever. But I think we should prepare for a grave situation and take this serious. This war in Lybia and the rising conflict in the middle east is just another distraction. The media should be focusing all their attention on this Nuclear situation, instead all you hear it this bull# conflict in Lybia. ITS A JOKE!!! Is it coincidence that Europe decides to invade Lybia just after the tsunami?
These tricks are so old and I have seen them all. Now they are going to stir more conflict in the middle east. Just to provoke more war, conflict and chaos. That is the state they want this world to be in.

af.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Sanjur0

Ordo Ab Chao

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
they should have buried the reactors in concrete ages ago.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
We will never get the truth, not now, and not in 20 damn years.

I want to know what 100,000 times above normal levels in the reactor pool means in laymans terms.
Is it enough to kill, maim, stop reproduction? They use energy levels that are hard to convert. In the beginning it was milivert????? something. I looked it up against a health site using RADS and it took 50,000 milivert??? to even be found in human blood samples. So there is no real way to quantitate what the hell is being released.

Just tell us what the levels are and how the really can be applied to human health risks. 100,000 times means squat. The same with " trace levels are being detected in California and Nevada? What in the hell is trace levels and again what do they mean to human health both acute and chronic.

I now move back to my herd of sheep, just one on billions

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
You know what's even more interesting?....

The fact that the plutonium was found from samples taken in Tokyo a week ago... when they were saying ... "nothing to see here... move along."

Now they realize they HAVE to admit it.

Of course that didn't stop the name-calling of "fear-monger!" cast upon anyone who dares say there's trouble and the people responsible for acting are playing public relations games and pursuing 'politically expedient' answers..... it appears corporate sovereignty rules us all... regardless of the nation involved.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Plutonium doesn't pose a risk to human health????????????

Um, ok.

It's only going to get worse before it can ever 'get better'.
I fear the most for the citizens in Japan.

reply to post by Maxmars

it appears corporate sovereignty rules us all...

Ne'er a truer word said.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

True they are using double speak to lie through their Teeth with statements such as no immediate health concerns etc. The Radiation health problem is something to be very concerned about especially considering 1-4 of the reactors are near going critical and melting down we will see what happens in the next few weeks or days!

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Here's a PDF file for anyone wanting to know more about Plutonium Toxicity.
muller.lbl.gov...

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I remember one night a week or so ago, they said "it isn't getting worse"

then they said the next night "it isn't getting worse quickly" whatever that meant

Now they're finally admitting a "turning point for the worse" and "crisis deepens"

1850 times worse radiation in the ocean.....
100, 000 times worse radiation (somewhere around reactors?) - instead of 10 million times worse , means what? Isn't 100,000 times worse still really really really bad?

Now, plutonium is out there in the soil, just great.

CNN just announced that an episode of the Simpsons, having a nuclear meltdown, will not be shown in some countries....

~ sigh ~

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Plutonium 239 has a half life of 24,000 years.. It just doesn't go away, I'm surprised they haven't found it before now, especially considering that reactor three contains about 90 tons of MOX/mixed fuels, and about 88 tons of spent MOX fuel.. and all of it contains a percentage of Plutonium... Number 3 unit was the most severely damaged from explosions and fires.

Maybe these are old samples and it is actually much higher now?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by squeakyclean

It wouldn't help anything. "IF" the reactors were melting down, they would continue to do so, even if there was concrete poured on top. In my opinion they are all currently melting down. Rods are suspended in fluid while fusion is taking place, extreme heat upwards of 2500 degrees C which in short powers the generators. Sorry concrete pads that the reactors are sitting on yes sadly don't stand a chance either. There is a vid I posted in another forum about Chernobyl, it has some interesting info on it about the processes of a nuclear meltdown, either way you slice the pie, the filling still pours out. Any problem with a nuclear reactor is bad, seeminly worse if the meltdown occurs and hits the water table beneath the site, Well anyone reading this thread should know what happens and if not, research. Sorry to sound rude but there should be some forehand knowledge on the subject.
BTW concrete would help with the radiation "leaking" so to speak, however you inhibit your ability to do any further damage controll on the reactor. If its cased in concrete, how do you cool it off? Hense re-fusion no?
edit on 28-3-2011 by Techata because: Forgot vital info.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I hope you don;t mind. I figured a Nuclear fission primer might be welcome

Nuclear Fission
For a nuclear reactor, Uranium is enriched to achieve 5% U-235 and 95% U-238. U-235 occurs at 1% in nature and is what makes the process happen. The mixture is formed into pellets. The pellets are placed into long tubes which are then arranged with spacing for cooling water channels into what are called fuel assemblies.

The fuel assemblies are shipped by truck to the reactor site. They're not highly radioactive. There are some spontaneous fissions but the resulting Neutrons are fast Neutrons. Fast Neutrons just bounce off the U-235 nuclei.

It is not until the fuel assemblies are installed into the reactor vessel and water is added that things start to happen. Boron control rods that absorb Neutrons stop the reaction from starting. The control rods are slowly withdrawn to expose a portion of the reactor core to itself. Spontaneous fission neutrons enter the water channels striking Protons in the water, slowing them down. (Not unlike a queue ball striking a billiard ball where the queue stops and the billiard ball moves on.)

The slowed neutron then migrates through the water channel into adjacent fuel where it encounters a U-235 atom, is “absorbed” and the U-235 subsequently fissions.

The fission rate proceeds and a criticality factor = 1 is maintained. That is, one fission creates one more fission, no more, no less.

The Boron control rods are periodically withdrawn to expose new U-235 as the initial exposure starts to burn out.

The water has two functions;
It provides cooling.
It is the moderator that controls the fission rate. Neutron's have to be slowed down because fast Neutrons just bounce off the U-235 nuclei. Too much fission and the water heats up, becomes less dense and less Neutrons are slowed down decreasing fission rate. Cooler water, more fission occurs. The water moderator maintains the criticality factor = 1.

In addition, some of the U-238 absorbs some of the slowed neutrons. It becomes U-239 which decays by Beta to become Neptunium 239 (Np-239) which again decays by Beta to become best friend, Plutonium 239. In effect, the reactor manufactures more fuel for itself.
+
www.howgravityworks.org...

For what it's worth....

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Techata

BTW concrete would help with the radiation "leaking" so to speak, however you inhibit your ability to do any further damage controll on the reactor. If its cased in concrete, how do you cool it off? Hense re-fusion no?
edit on 28-3-2011 by Techata because: Forgot vital info.

They can't just entomb them with sand and concrete and walk away.. They may as well do nothing and just walk away now if that is their plan.

That is the ongoing horror of this crisis ... Cooling and containment and removing the active fuel rods from the cores (if even possible now) so as to limit or prevent catastrophic meltdown is how it needs to go.

If it was as simple as burying the problem and walking away they would have already done that.

It is almost at a point where they are damed if they do, or damned if they don't now.

Only hope is to get constant cooling to the reactors and the spent fuel pools and when that is constantly applied they can then work toward a containment construction project once the threat of catastrophic meltdown has been thoroughly eliminated.

So far the cooling efforts are continually disrupted, and the existing systems are not yet working in the damaged units ... It isn't looking very optimistic anymore.

If radiation at the plant becomes too high, and they are forced to abandon the site completely then the worst could happen... Lets hope it doesn't.

top topics

join