It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michael Moore booed off stage!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Politics grabbed center stage at the Academy Awards on Sunday as the winner for best documentary, director Michael Moore, charged President Bush with waging a "fictitious war." He is the director of the new documentary "Bowling for Columbine", he did receive a small applause but was mostly drowned out by boos.

Story Here

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 03:22 AM
link   
He received an outstanding response throughout Europe however, clearly showing how the fascist suppression system in the united states leads to extreme amounts of civil violence (11000 kills/year). Thats probably more than a hundred times more than Saddam does. He must also be credited for making the NRA's president get his convictions clear.

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Moore is just an idiot. He really doesn't have grasp on the real world. If he wants to destroy what little credibilty he ahs left then let him. Who cares what a 3rd rate celebrity has to say. Those that could possibly be swayed by his comments would have to be of weak mind.

Rudra, get your facts straight - Saddam kills far more than 11000 people a year.

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Who's Michael Moore? A celebrity? Funny ... never heard of him... Guess he isn't that big of a celebrity at all...

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Quote:

"Moore is just an idiot. He really doesn't have grasp on the real world. If he wants to destroy what little credibilty he ahs left then let him. Who cares what a 3rd rate celebrity has to say. Those that could possibly be swayed by his comments would have to be of weak mind"

Yeah, that must be how he won the British book of the year awards with 'stupid white men' after selling 400,000 copies...

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rudra
clearly showing how the fascist suppression system in the united states leads to extreme amounts of civil violence (11000 kills/year).

Say what Rudra?

How on earth do you expect to support such a statement?

I'm interested in your response.

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rudra
He received an outstanding response throughout Europe however, clearly showing how the fascist suppression system in the united states leads to extreme amounts of civil violence (11000 kills/year). Thats probably more than a hundred times more than Saddam does. He must also be credited for making the NRA's president get his convictions clear.

I saw Bowling for Columbine this Friday, and it is one of the best movies I have ever seen. The longest standing ovation ever at Cannes was for BFC, and it has won several awards (Including Best Documentary at the Oscars) I dont understand Rudra's statement about Facist Suppression causing violence, as the whole point of the movie was that there was no answer for this violence, other than perhaps fear. There were points where I was on the verge of tears and other parts where I laughed at the bitter irony in the movie (the psycho involved in the Oklahoma city bombing was a very good example of this). I recomend this movie to everyone, you should go watch it today.

XAOS

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I would urge everyone who thinks his response was crap to SEE THE MOVIE FIRST, before you start throwing out judgement on this movie. It is by far one of the best documentary's I've seen in a very long time. I think he's got balls for getting up there like that and sticking to what he believes in.

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Actually it was more like 80% applause, 20% booing, Fox News Made it seem as if 100% Boo, Then showed Steve Martin trying to belittle him. Jesus Christ, Steve Martin movies blow. He should be banned from making any more.

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Lysergic is right. The majority of reports I seen said the same.

What else would you expect from FOX? I've seen reports from third world dictatorships that were more impartial and factual than that so called 'news' channel.

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 08:22 AM
link   
People, I saw it as it happened. There were some cheers, but the boos and anger far outweighed any audible positive response.

However, I doubt the booing and anger was related to the intent of his message, but more related to Moore's attempt to turn the Hollywood protest tone from quiet peace symbols and subtle remarks, to overt rage and extremist comments.

He stepped beyond decorum, which was my take on the reason for the highly negative response.

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by kegs

Lysergic is right. The majority of reports I seen said the same.

What else would you expect from FOX? I've seen reports from third world dictatorships that were more impartial and factual than that so called 'news' channel.

Who needs reports if you possess eyes and ears. It was quite obvious watching it on TV that the booing was far greater than any cheering.

Poor kegs FOX news get under your skin.

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Fair enough, I didnt see it. It would have been about 2am over here and I need my beauty sleep.
I'm just going on the (many) different reports I seen. I like to check the views of many different news sources of differing political stances on most things instead of blindly following one.

And yes, FOX does get under my skin, not least because so many of you seem to rely on it as your main source of 'news'.

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Firstly, I watched it live as well, and no matter what euro-liberal news channels say, the boos far outweighed the cheers. Secondly, when will someone tell these people that they are entertainers not military strategists, politicians, or monarchs. Now, tell me that everyone is entitled to free speech and I agree with you, but is every American given a fair chance to state their point on stage at the Academy Awards? He was up there as an artist, not a military expert or political analyst. I am no expert either and do not claim to be, but if you live in this country, don't call our president fictitious. If you don't like it, Canada is very welcoming. Baldwin had big balls before the election and failed to back it up by leaving the country, Moore is the same. Blah blah blah and then nothing. Thanks for the memories Moore-on.

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 09:32 AM
link   
So who is allowed to comment on wars then?

Quote:
"Military strategists, politicians, or monarchs"

So you wouldn�t find that in the slightest bit biased? Obviously if a country is at war their "military strategists, politicians, or monarchs" aren't going to protest it are they? I couldn�t give a badgers bum what the celebrities say either way, but I'm damn sure if they were proclaiming their undying love for Bush and his policies you lot wouldn�t say a damn thing. In fact I could even see some of you saying "Oh look, even Elton John's for the war!"
As for Moore, he is a satirical comedian and social commentator and this kind of stuff is the reason why he's a celebrity; it's what he is famous for. He didn�t just wake up on 12/9/01 and say, 'I think I'll go and lambaste the Government!' Have you even read any or his stuff or seen his film (for which he has also won awards, including at the Cannes film festival) Until you have I think it's a black mark on your own intelligence to call him a fool.

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProudAmerican
Politics grabbed center stage at the Academy Awards on Sunday as the winner for best documentary, director Michael Moore, charged President Bush with waging a "fictitious war." He is the director of the new documentary "Bowling for Columbine", he did receive a small applause but was mostly drowned out by boos.

This is what I heard on the radio today. The radiospeaker was telling that he was a " hero " for his anti-bush documentary and position. Of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A " hero ".

A " hero " of what ? Did he save anybody ?

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I was hoping to get a few replies from someone that has seen the movie, and both said they highly recommend it. I cant seem to find anywhere near me where it is playing. I am anxious to see the movie, I saw some short clips on the website and it looks good. I dont like the fact Moore used an awards stage to call our President fictitious but that is his right and I still want to see the movie. I included the link to the site, you can watch a couple of clips, including a short cartoon called "A Brief History of America".

www.bowlingforcolumbine.com...

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 10:42 AM
link   
When you keep in mind that Moore is a extreme-left satirical comedian/entertainer... sort of the Yin to Libaugh's Yang, it all comes into focus.

I was actually hoping he'd win (the movie is very good, but portions go a bit too far in describing the "evil right"), so we could get some good entertainment. While I think he may have gone too far, he didn't disappoint.

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 11:13 AM
link   
"He pissed off alot of Hollywood people too"
Thats Michael Moore for ya.

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 11:56 AM
link   
To answer kegs, my problem is that the "celebrities" of hollywood have established themselves as a group of know it alls. This is plainly obvious just by watching their conduct and listening to what they say. They have to understand that they are normal humans like everyone else. Susan Sarandon is an actress, so is Tim Robbins, so is Sean Penn. Their opinions are their own right, but they and the world have to realize that they don't know any more than any of the rest of us do. Just because they are famous for acting does not make them knowledgable in the affairs of the world.
And in response to your statement that many of us would not complain if the "celebrities" were pro-war, that's not really true in my case. My party affiliation is Democrat (though not liberal) and when Alec Baldwin threatened to leave the country if Bush won, I was one of the first people to offer to host a bon voyage party for the moron.

This is not your fault or mine Kegs, it is the public's fault for turning a bunch of coke sniffing, prostitute buying humans into semi-divine entities. They are famous because the public makes them famous, everyone needs to remember that.

[Edited on 3-24-2003 by Djarums]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join