It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World's First 'Practical' Artificial Leaf Can Cheaply Turn Water Into Energy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Researchers in a lab at MIT have finally produced an artificial leaf that is capable of photosynthesis:

A team of chemistry and engineering scientists from MIT today announced the completion of their quest to create an artificial leaf that creates electricity from water like a leaf produces oxygen and food from carbon dioxide.

World's First 'Practical' Artificial Leaf Can Cheaply Turn Water Into Energy

Whilst this isn't the first attempt at artificial photosynthesis, it is so far the most practical.

Made of silicon, electronics, and various catalysts that spur chemical reactions within the device, the artificial leaf uses sunlight to break water into hydrogen and oxygen which can then be used to create electricity in a separate fuel cell. Placed in a gallon of water and left in the sun, these artificial leaves could provide a home in the developing world with basic electricity for a day, Nocera said.

MIT Lab Creates the World's First Feasible 'Artificial Leaf'
edit on 27/3/2011 by Griffo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
This is basically the technology of low-temperature hydrolysis.

But I don't see it as quite up to the level of being an artificial leaf.

After all, real leaves not only absorb CO2 and light and give off oxygen, they also create numerous nutrients in the process. So I think the "leaf" thing is hype.
edit on 27-3-2011 by l_e_cox because: typo

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Yeah i'm not getting the artificial leaf connection here?

so it electrolyzes hydrogen and oxygen which you then have to feed into a fuel cell? I mean it's better than getting the hydrogen other ways but... I still think there are probably better MUCH MUCH cheaper ways to power developing nations. On top of that I'd bet some pretty serious dollars that you need CLEAN WATER to make the "leaf" work without dramatically decreasing it's lifespan.. and even with the fuel cells output being water I think most people in developing nations would rather have the clean water than power.

There are other inventions out there that are just so much better and more appropriate that this seems like a solution in need of a problem.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by l_e_cox

I think they are calling it "artificial photosynthesis" because they are doing hydrolysis from the sun, without using an external input of power.

I think this is referring to the same person. ARPA-E Funded MIT Chemist.

I wish they would go into more detail because it is a little "hype"ish the way it is being represented. A humorous fact is it seems he is using the same catalysts for hydrolysis that Rossi says is giving him cold fusion. No claims of that here

edit on 27-3-2011 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by roguetechie

These catalysts are what split the water into hydrogen and oxygen under very simple conditions - even dirty water can be used.

Seems dirty water isn't an issue. Water might be, but T. Boone Pickens and some other major players have been working on (preparing) to privatize most of the water supply around the world.

Not sure where that issue is now, but people in the market a few years ago were calling it as the next oil.

top topics

join