It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inspired by v1rtu0s0's Thread, Here are 4 question's I'd like to put forth to ATS members.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
1) What motivates you more, fear or love?

2) What does freedom mean to you?

3)What makes you happy?

4) What is the meaning of life?

Inspired by v1rtu0s0's thread Just Keep Going, You Got Nothing to Lose I present these questions to all ATS members as to what each of these questions means to you? It's really to just have spirited conversation without all this disconnect and division that surrounds one another. To get to know one another and have a glimpse at how each individual views the world we currently live in.

edit on 27-3-2011 by born2BWild because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by born2BWild

To be honest I think the ultimate motivation is the fear of not being loved. This combination seems to be the most powerful factor in all of human behavior. Our need for acceptance and affection tends to be the core issue in just about every single human action.

The concept of freedom, to me, is tempered far more than most Americans today. We live in a culture where the word "freedom" has become the mask that people wear whenever they wish to hide their selfishness, prejudice, bias, and hate. It always eats at my soul when I see people screaming the word "freedom" as a justification for evil. They say "I am born free and nobody can make me do anything, at all, ever." They distort the word until it seems to infer that these people think themselves God, and the rest of us as their servants. It's pathetic.

Freedom is a blessing we are granted by virtue of our responsible participation within society. It is absolute in scope, but not in application. IE I am free to pick up a machete and rob my local bank. I have the freedom to do this. I am not inhibited from exercising this "freedom". But, if I choose to do so, I place myself into a position for others to exercise their freedom to punish me for breaking the rules of society.

3)What makes you happy?

Fulfillment of want. That's the most basic and honest answer anyone can give. Even acts of charity, that bring joy, bring that joy because they fulfill a function of want. If you want to help others it is, effectively, a somewhat selfish prospect.

In my case that fulfillment can come from many different sources. Watching kids open presents on Christmas morning makes me very happy.

Then again my most recent ex also had a habit of getting drunk and making out with her female friends in front of me... this made me kind of happy too. At least at the time.

Watching a good movie, reading a good book, running into an old friend out of the blue, Jolly Rancher jelly beans, new installments of the Elder Scrolls games, a full bottle of Crown Royal, Mongolian beef and fried rice, spring time, new clothes, waking up NOT dead... just some of the things that make me happy.

The promulgation of long strand proteins, which arrived here trapped in meteors, seeding life on this world, and, in the end, will one day leave this world and go on to seed basic life on other planets.

It is my belief that space is filled with this type of basic life and that all it needs is a suitable environment. The meaning of life is to live.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

That is great response. I'll be able to respond with my answers as soon as I've thought it through more thoroughly. I didn't realize the depth of the question until now. haha.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
The fear in the love motivates me the most

Freedom is in your heart and mine, it will never exist outside of your own feeling of freedom.

In my heart i am free and nothing can take that away.

3)What makes you happy?

"Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici"

To witness the world unfold around you, to feel, to fear and to love, to witness
existance itself and to live every moment, to take every breath, to shed every tear
and carry on over the horizon onto a new dawn.

edit on 27/3/11 by TedHodgson because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   

pretty equal. Fear of no love and love of no fear.

Living life without anyone or thing bugging me.

3)What makes you happy?

Fixing stuff, making stuff, chilling out, riding my motorbike, my cats, my house, food, beer, fluffy clouds, my sister, my record collection, more beer, reliable internet, steak & kidney pie, someone else driving to the bar, shooting stars and basically anything that makes me smile or feel gooey inside.

42 of course.
Or...a really good film by Monty Python.
Or...the ability to change things.

Interesting questions once they are considered. Can't wait to see what others think.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   

3)What makes you happy?

1) Love, it can make you overcome your fear. I'd normally be afraid of fire, but I'd walk directly into one to save my child.

2) Choices, if you have no choice you aren't free.

3) Love, it is the root cause of happiness, and a lack of it is the root cause of sadness.

4) Happiness, which by necessity requires both love and freedom.
edit on 3/27/2011 by budaruskie because: Spacing

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Love motivates me but increases the amount of fear in me (Worry too much about those close to me, With no love I would have no fear).

Freedom would be the ability to speak freely, To live without following trends/fads, Peace, Trust

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by budaruskie

The way you've answered these questions is quite interesting because of the way each question builds upon the previous one. The answers are able to draw from the previous ones until they reach the end answer, the conclusion. Each answer can use the the previous one to support it.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
One it really depends
Two it really depends
Three having found ATS
Four I'm sorry, what was that about hats?

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Fear

Being left alone.

3)What makes you happy?

Being left alone.

To suffer on Earth, and then die.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Love. It's something that not only can motivate but can also be shared with others, which is how it's meant to be used. Fear is good to get the ball rolling but it doesn't feel as natural to me. Love on the other hand feels like the proper way to make things happen. No harm can come when people act in love, and it's power is so great that it can invoke all the righteous and benevolent emotions in an individual. It's not destructive like fear can be.

Being rid of all the evil that's choking this world. When we're free from all the greed, deception, temptation, and so on, we can actually learn to truly be joyful in our lives, feel no constraints, and be able to explore all facets of this world. All things are considered free, and everyone works for mutual interests. Nothing hidden, equality, balance.

3)What makes you happy?

Other than faith, a simple life is something I used to think would be enough to make me happy. And while a simple life is wonderful especially in these times, I'm starting to feel that just being with my soul-mate and exploring everything this world has to offer would have me overflowing with happiness. I want to learn, be in enlightened, and feel other people's happiness because I'm empathetic (we all are really). One day, perhaps in "death", I will get to explore the universe itself. Fighting for justice and what's right also makes me happy.

To keep God company? Well, think about this: togetherness is the driving force for all life; nothing wants to be alone forever. We have children, friends, brothers, sisters, mothers, fathers. We do these things so we are not alone. The same goes for animals out there. Nothing wants to be alone. Can you imagine a life where you are the single only thing in existence? How sad would that be? Simple right? Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. Again, think about it.

Cheers.
edit on 27/3/11 by AdamsMurmur because: small addition

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

I found those answers so morbid that i burst into laughter....

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I transfered my post from the other thread here...

For me, it used to be fear, but now it is love, which embodies compassion, empathy and tolerance.

The ability to express, choose and pursuit my interests, as long as they do not harm anyone.

3)What makes you happy?
Art, natural beauty and aesthetics of our planet AND people(s), music, friends and family, forgiveness and ATS!
Oh yea, animals for sure too!!!

I have pondered this before and for me, it is the 3 L's, a chance to live, learn and love.

Peace,
spec

ETA: That website, we are change, is very cool too! www.wearechange.org...

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by born2BWild

makes a lot of sense too, doesn't it? Life is a simple as you make it.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Yeah, I checked it out it's a good site to poke around in. I found quite a few cool things that got me interested and I spent a while just browsing and reading and watching lol.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
1) What motivates you more, fear or love
I am not motivated by fear, therefore I must be motivated by love I would assume. Neither are motivational factors alone, so to say only one factor comprises me is quiet bland. My motivation is to experience, whether it be love, fear, hate, ignorance, bliss, etc.

The act of being free.

3)What makes you happy?
The ability to be free.

There is no meaning, I'm just in it for the ride.

edit on 1-4-2011 by prolific because: quote

new topics

top topics

join