It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What other things do religious poeple believe?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Now before I start this is NOT a thread for ATS'ers to come an bash the religious folks on here...

What I was interested in was what outlandish things do religious people believe to be true or will happen.

What I'm talking about is do you believe that one day scientists will be able to harness the power of time travel, do you believe that nuclear fusion is possible, do you believe that scientist will be able to create a teleportation device or that wormholes are real?

You know the kind of sci-fy stuff I'm talking about...

As I said this is not a thread for (you know who you are) people to bash people with faith, I'm not a religious person but I respect other people's believe and I thought it would be interesting to hear a religious person whether they are Christian, Hindu or Islamic on whether they thought time travel was possible its something I have never personally discussed...

So the table is open, time travel, teleportation, wormhole's, vampires, aliens, shape shifters, teraforming, alternate universes, alternate dimensions etc. you know what I mean, look forward to your responses!

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Religious people believe in what they are told to believe in.
Because god says so.
Blind faith is good, it shows obedience to god.
Me myself, i believe religious people believe killing is ok as long as someone from the church says it's ok.
Religion, such a tool that could be used for good but somehow it wasn't.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I had to read your thread twice because, in my mind, I keep reading "what OTHER outlandish things you believe in".

Anyway, if it will help, my religious Christian cousin believes that Voodoo works so well that she was scared to death when we met a real voodoo practicer. She made sure she didn't leave anything of hers the voodoo practicer could use. But she had an accident one day while driving. She ran a red light and her car was hit from the right side. She thanked god for "saving" her and believed it was the voodoo guy who caused it (despite the FACT she is a bad driver)

She also believes in spirits and ghosts but not aliens. She thinks aliens are really visible demons (I know she sounds like a country hick but no need to insult her for her beliefs).

Hope that helps!

edit on 25-3-2011 by DevilJin because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   

...this is NOT a thread for ATS'ers to come an bash the religious folks on here...

...What I was interested in was what outlandish things do religious people believe...

Might want to reword that.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
Religious people believe in what they are told to believe in.
Because god says so.
Blind faith is good, it shows obedience to god.
Me myself, i believe religious people believe killing is ok as long as someone from the church says it's ok.
Religion, such a tool that could be used for good but somehow it wasn't.

MOD this is off topic!

Are you an idiot? I specifically said no religious bashing, I'm not a religious person, I don't believe in god but that doesn't mean I KNOW there is no god I simply believe it the same way religious people believe there is a god so shut up and stop spamming this thread with your crap.

I have a genuine interest in what we would call "crazy" stuff such as time travel or teleportation... this isn't a debate thread just a thread for people of different believes to share common believes...

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Whyhi

Again off topic, I'm interested in whether religious people believe in time travel and such...

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by DevilJin

i am so sorry op but this comment made me ROFL..

on topic:
cool thread flagged will be back to read
i am not religious but am interested to hear what they have to say

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
If something is off topic a friendly reminder and an alert would serve you better than calling someone an idiot.

I had to read your OP twice before I figured out what you wanted.

You want to know if religious people believe in Sci Stuff as well, correct?

Well I am a religious practitioner of sorts and I can say that I think most of the "Sci Fi" stuff you posted is likely one day if civilization lasts long enough.

I am convinced we will discover how to use alternate dimensions within 100 years. And that we will also make advances in medical science that will allow people to live for hundreds of years if not longer. This will be a difficult technology with the rising population though which is why I'm only having 1 kid... just in case ya know?

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jinglelord
If something is off topic a friendly reminder and an alert would serve you better than calling someone an idiot.

I had to read your OP twice before I figured out what you wanted.

You want to know if religious people believe in Sci Stuff as well, correct?

Well I am a religious practitioner of sorts and I can say that I think most of the "Sci Fi" stuff you posted is likely one day if civilization lasts long enough.

I am convinced we will discover how to use alternate dimensions within 100 years. And that we will also make advances in medical science that will allow people to live for hundreds of years if not longer. This will be a difficult technology with the rising population though which is why I'm only having 1 kid... just in case ya know?

Yes I know my OP has a Double entendre meaning but I don't want to change it, because its exactly what I mean, if you have a better explanation then tell me and I will change it, as you said I just want to know what things that seem a bit out there in science terms... do religious people believe to seem possible/feasible too.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Is this what you're looking for?
Jehovah's Witnesses (the only religion I know anything about, I used to be one) believe that only 144,000 of them will be chosen to go to heaven, while, after Armageddon (Gods war), the rest of the faithful dedicated Jehovah's Witnesses (only them) will live FOREVER on a paradise earth, along with every single person that's ever died being resurrected to live with them as well.

Anyone else that is alive when Armageddon happens, adults, and their children, will die.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Weeeden
Is this what you're looking for?
Jehovah's Witnesses (the only religion I know anything about, I used to be one) believe that only 144,000 of them will be chosen to go to heaven, while, after Armageddon (Gods war), the rest of the faithful dedicated Jehovah's Witnesses (only them) will live FOREVER on a paradise earth, along with every single person that's ever died being resurrected to live with them as well.

Anyone else that is alive when Armageddon happens, adults, and their children, will die.

Yes kind of! but Im looking for more of si-fy stuff...

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Oooooh ok!!!
lol

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by roughycannon

I think its clever and even smiled when I read which is why I even replied.

If I was trying to get religious people to tell me what type of fringe science they also believe in I would have asked more directly.

"For those who have a devout religious faith to what extent do you believe fringe science is also possible?" I would probably have also threw in some stuff to make it sound nicer towards the legitimacy of religious beliefs. The way the question is posed seems like an intellectual trap with the punch line being "Ha ha haa You believe in a sky fairy so of course you think time travel is possible!" I'm not saying that is your goal but it sure looks like it the way it is phrased.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Your thought pattern indicates that you have no Idea what you are talking about.

To spew such nonsense is wonderful, as many will believe because YOU said it therefore it is true.

What you say holds true for atheist beliefs of evolution, because over paid college indoctrinated people devise whole theories from a pig tooth and write a paper and make a model of a Man and his Wife and people accept is as truth.

Or they tell you it takes millions of years for fossils to be made yet it has been shown to take less then decades, yet it is accepted as truth because it is in a Public Text book.

Or Haeckel draws embryos as though they were alike in certain stages to bolster evolution. They were disproved within 7 years and yet are still in public text books today as though it were truth.

So to me who does believe in God through my own thoughts and not because some one told me to but through reading and research of the Bible and science I know my faith is solid.

Faith is not always blind as you simply put it though there are many cases where it is not tangible to empirical proof.

That does not make a person who relies upon faith unstable, if it does then we are all unstable as your belief in evolution is faith based and has no empirical proof.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by roughycannon

This post is smack on topic.
About me being an idiot, i will not answer that, but leave you hanging for a response.
You asked a question and i answered.
I do believe in a superior being, i'm sorry you have no hope. or do you believe? you have flipflopped a few times within the same sentance.
I have posted my observation of peoples beliefs.
Now if you wish for people to shut up plz do not post, and 1 response on your thread i would hardly call spamming.
I am glad you have an interest in the....weird as you are on the right forum for that sort of thing.
I have shared my beliefs with you, bottom line zealotry is the endgame for religion.
Hope it helps.

reply to post by ACTS 2:38

I can tell from your avatar you are religious so...
Please, tell the OP of your beliefs not me.

edit on 26-3-2011 by g146541 because: 2nd act

top topics

join