It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Record Industry says, "Limewire may owe $75 Trillion!" the Judge says, "Absurd!"

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Ok ok, I'll admit - $75 Trillion is what the recording industry says Limewire may owe on the high end.

At the low end they estimate Limewire may owe only a mere $400 billion!! To put it perspective that $75 trillion is more than the GDP of the whole world.

Thankfully the judge has labeled this "absurd".

Record Industry: Limewire Could Owe $75 Trillion – Judge: “Absurd”

What in the world is wrong with these people?

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Okay okay i'll have to admit it.
I owe some as well.

Here y'ah go judge, this is 1/1000 of what i owe, but i'd rather not spend $1+ on a song to listen to.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9249d438c7f6.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 25-3-2011 by Anttyk47 because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-3-2011 by Anttyk47 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

Im still surprised they even say a billion....seriously without Lime wire we would hardly listen to those musics or find another way, just how stupid are people?

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
anyway one could look at it, limewire is in a spot of bother.

75 trillion is really a lot of money

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Operation Commencing in 38 mins.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8d677a7d99ec.png[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I don't know but I would say that there is not that much printed money in the world....

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

Well what about torrent? They probably owe the same amount or perhaps even more. Limewire gave me viruses the first time i used it. Thats a lot of money... 75 trillion just doesn't seem enough

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

Imagine if we had the same freedom we have on the Internet

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
It is okay we are only hurting ourselves when we rob the musicians...
we take money we could have given to them for their time writing a song instead of buying an album now we just download it i bet theres a lot less rich musicians in the future .
u cant tell me if there was no way to steal the music that you would not buy more albums

the costs associated with marketing and producing an album are not cheap they do charge a bit much for songs and albums still but i do not think its an absurd amount to pay for good music.

with digital media like ipods and the likes we have options my father knows he can steal music but he chooses to buy it for his ipod.

i do not download music.. i download movies so i am just as guilty lol but to a different party...
but never with limewire wth.... thats so 1999. lmao

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Seems that the RIAAA will be responsible for devaluation to dollar to zilch

Where can I trade my hard drive for a few million ? anyone ?

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Pretty dumb considering the people that download stuff half time would never buy it in a store. So really, how do you prove that there are damages at all? All it proves is that people like free stuff when they can get it.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

Obviously, the RIAA is run by the same retards the run the governments. I still can't get over that number though of $75 trillion. The only three people I know of with that kinda debt based currency would be from lowest to highest, da pope, queen liz followed by the rothschilds character. Wonder if any of them can spot ole' limewire a few trillion?

Cheers - Dave

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by no special characters

My hard drive must be worth at least a few mill myself.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by guessing
anyway one could look at it, limewire is in a spot of bother.

75 trillion is really a lot of money

Understatement of the century... That is more money than GDP of the entire world!

Makes me think of the scene from Austin powers when Dr. Evil goes back in time to the 60's and tries to hold the world ransom for 100 billion dollars... The president laughed and said : you might as well be asking for a million gajillion dollars!

Same kind of thing here... And it is beyond laughable that they are even trying to ask for such an absurd amount.
edit on 25-3-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by MarkofCain
Operation Commencing in 38 mins.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8d677a7d99ec.png[/atsimg]

We don't speak of /B/!
edit on 25-3-2011 by sevensheeps because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by xShadow13

The problem is that software such as Limewire and torrent related software is that if anything the users are responsible. Limewire only provided a medium. It was the users that uploaded, shared music and seeded files.

There was a story last year about a guy that got caught uploading the new mario game for Wii and was taken to court. They found that the file had been downloaded about 25,000 times and he was ordered to pay Nintendo damages in the amount of about 2 million... Poor guy was still living at home with his parents, talk about a lifetime debt.

The only problem i had with that ruling is that there is no way Nintendo could have proved that those 25,000 people would have actually gone out and purchased the game.

So really if anything its the uploaders that are liable. Even using torrents, you may not have uploaded the original file but one you have it in your libarary and if you share it even for 1 week then technically you are just as liable.

Haha i always found it kind of ironic that Justin Timberlake played the part of Sean Parker on the social network....
edit on 25-3-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-3-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Doesn't limewire state on there website they are not responsible for what is uploaded or downloaded, what a get our clause so realistically they dont owe anybody anything at all.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
The record industry is retarded on their best day. They already get 80-90% of the artist's earnings and the rights to their material. They sell digital media for the same price as physical media with no distribution expenses. They pump carbon copy crap into the mainstream market and rarely promote real artists. The digital market would be the best place to do this with the least risk.

Artists should produce their own music and leave the industry to cannibalize itself.

Limewire was always lame.

These lawyers should hire someone that understands technology to tell them what really goes on.

Hollywood is the same deal. Quit outsourcing mastering and DVD production to 3rd world countries and you'll stop losing your media on the internet.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Considering most mainstream artists make pennies on the dollar for album sales and most of their money comes from live performances and merchandise, the artists are actually benefiting from the exposure that free downloading and streaming offer - it's free advertisement which draws more people to shows and generates popularity that creates more merchandise purchases.

It's impossible to even say that because someone took something that was free would have paid money for it if the free option wasn't available - it's a guess at best and an attempt of opinionated-persuasion for profit at worst. Even if it were true that you could assume a percentage of downloaders would have instead spent money on music, that money is going to the morally-deficient people who set up, control and profit from this "entertainment industry" that catapults certain entertainers who "fit the agenda" into celebrity status, influencing the youth to be morally reprehensible and dragging society down into a most primal and degenerate form.

In short, the record companies should figure out how to work WITH the internet rather than work AGAINST it - the customer is always right, even if they don't buy. Either revise the copyright laws to work with the internet-era, and find a new profit model, or imprison the people who support your artists. The choice is yours.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
The checks in the mail
But don't cash it till Monday lol!!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join