It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists announce discovery of new species of seabird

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Scientists have announced they've discovered a new species of the storm petral seabird on the coast of Chile. One of the most amazing things it that it has been right under people's noses the whole time..

Scientists announce discovery of new species of seabird, the first in 89 years

“This is the first new species of storm petrel discovered in 89 years, and the first new species of seabird discovered in 55 years –- and if we had won the lottery we could not feel better," Harrison said in an interview “We believe this is a relic population that was completely missed by Darwin himself, who sailed along that very coast a century ago,” Harrison said. “And guess what? There are thousands of them in that area, which is plied by cruise ships, cargo vessels and fishing boats, all within sight of crowded beaches.” Researchers at the University of Chile in Santiago are analyzing collected blood samples and feathers to learn more about the birds, where they breed and if they migrate to wintering grounds elsewhere.

Very cool - it always makes me smile when the think we know it all and find we do not.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Nice to hear some happy news for a change.

First one in many decades is a rare event.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Very nice indeed. Also it always amazes me how people can think life is only possible on this planet, if we dont even know of all the life on our own planet to begin with

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   
As a keen birdwatcher myself, I find this news very exciting. Unfortunately though, with the rather wanton attitude some in power seem to have towards the world's ecology, I fear that we may have just discovered it not long before it goes extinct because of what our activities may be doing to its habitat or food chain.

top topics

join