It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tools Suggest Earlier Human Arrival in America

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
For all of those who darkly mutter about the repression of archaeology, here's another example of changing paradigms. Though the 12.5 kya Beringia date was shattered by Monte Verde in Chile, the door is now open to dig below Clovis, and accept the results. The bar is held high for a reason...but this site changes matters yet again:

Archaeologists and other scientists report in Friday’s issue of the journal Science that excavations show hunter-gatherers were living at the Buttermilk Creek site and making projectile points, blades, choppers and other tools from local chert for a long time, possibly as early as 15,500 years ago.

“This is the oldest credible archaeological site in North America,” Michael R. Waters, leader of the discovery team, said at a news teleconference. www.nytimes.com...

OK, everybody back to the Atlantis threads...

edit on 24-3-2011 by JohnnyCanuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Most of the evidence is buried under hundreds of feet of muck. During the dumping of lake Agazzi , North America was pretty hostile and almost uninhabitable with sea levels rising 120 meters.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadow Herder
Most of the evidence is buried under hundreds of feet of muck. During the dumping of lake Agazzi , North America was pretty hostile and almost uninhabitable with sea levels rising 120 meters.

Well, thank goodness for artifact traps like rock shelters and such. But in many cases, it's a matter of using predictability models...then testing. Not to mention that field archaeologists develop a radar, as in "if there isn't anything, it's because I just haven't found it"
edit on 24-3-2011 by JohnnyCanuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I think that the conventional view of history is less than perfect.

Every month, there are more outliers found that push the conventional models limits.

I'm still waiting for them to find something that has written word that is "too old?

Good post.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Excellent find my East Coast Friend.

Looking forward to see what else developes from this.

You are more than aware of my own views, so I will not bother clouding this issue at hand with those thoughts.

Ciao

Shane

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

S & F

I read this when it was first posted. Pre Clovis people had to be a given. It takes a pre-clovis people to invent a Clovis point. Being either Older North American natives or European ice age immigrants is irrelevant IMO. Clovis could have been developed separately. Same solution to the same problem...

With the bulk of North America under ice and snow it stands to reason that there would be at the time migration to the south, lower half of the Lower 48 and Central/South America etc. What I haven't been able to find was the extent of South Americas higher elevations snow and ice coverage during the height of the last ice age...?

The following is an animation from an upcoming thread of mine...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/46dbdd5dafd9.gif[/atsimg]

edit on 25-3-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
With the bulk of North America under ice and snow it stands to reason that there would be at the time migration to the south, lower half of the Lower 48 and Central/South America etc. What I haven't been able to find was the extent of South Americas higher elevations snow and ice coverage during the height of the last ice age...?

Not sure...but inside the Monte Verde camp, there are mutterings of 40kya, though it's only been proven to around 14.5

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Nice find!

There's a hardcore group of archaeologists who believe that humans arrived in North America as long ago as 20,000 years and perhaps as early as 30,000 years ago. It's exciting to see good evidence for the pre-Clovis culture. As the years go on and better evidence is located, the number of "Clovis first" supporters goes down.

I personally like the 25,000-30,000 year figure, myself but I have no real basis for supporting it beyond the apparent levels of the population when the Europeans arrived.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
I personally like the 25,000-30,000 year figure, myself but I have no real basis for supporting it beyond the apparent levels of the population when the Europeans arrived.

OK Byrd.

Now that is awesome news to hear...

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
In a semi-not-too related note, archeologists found what they believe to be 1.5 million year old stone tools (the oldest found so far) in India, these are connected to Homo Erectus.

Million-year-old tools found near Chennai - India’s prehistory pushed back

It definitely took us monkeys a long time to reach the Americas.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

slayer, just for grins, care to take a stab at defining "height of the last ice age"? you know, i think, the axe i grind! ha! nail away!

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by boxturtle
reply to post by SLAYER69

slayer, just for grins, care to take a stab at defining "height of the last ice age"? you know, i think, the axe i grind! ha! nail away!

Sure
Ice Ages

The amount of ice on the Earth's surface has varied greatly through time. For example, the extent of ice in North America has changed dramatically since the height of the last glacial advance 20,000 years ago.

What I'm looking for was the maximum extent of the expansion at higher elevations in South America
edit on 26-3-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to [url=http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread679665/pg1#pid10916260]post by SLAYER69[/ur and perhaps the height of the last " ice age" was the earth's situation before the last crustal shift. being playful; don't expect a response to this.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
i for one relive than man, yes man as is known now came to this land the USA some 35,000 years ago could be as old as 50,000 years, just waiting for them to dig deep and find it. look in the north east main as seen here www.united-states-map.com...

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by bekod
i for one relive than man, yes man as is known now came to this land the USA some 35,000 years ago could be as old as 50,000 years, just waiting for them to dig deep and find it. look in the north east main as seen here www.united-states-map.com...

I'd say that's the wrong place to look. Look, perhaps, at migration into the Southern Hemisphere from that sector. But I don't think you had humans in North Eastern Asia until about 35kya...and farthest north around 18.5. However, those figures are only relevant until the next discovery.

What this thread demonstrates, though, is that there is an ongoing process of discovery, ruled by very high standards of evidence.
But ongoing, just the same.

new topics

top topics

join