It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two"Super Monsters" detected in the centre of our Galaxy.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Big. Really Big Giants Bubbles in the centre of the Milky Way. FERMI has discovered two giant gamma-ray-emitting bubbles that extend nearly 10kpc in diameter north and south of the galactic center (GC).

They may be stars that fall into the giant black hole, located in the center of our galaxy, to cause the two huge bubbles of gamma rays discovered for the first time since space satellite FERMI a few months ago. Scientists were stunned in front of this structure never observed before, which emits gamma radiation and extending for 25,000 light years above and 25,000 light years below the galactic disk. The two superbubbles - remained unknown until such time as the most sensitive detector of Fermi LAT failed to unravel the "fog" range that obscure the view - take up more than half the visible sky, the constellation Virgo. Their nature and their origin, however, remained a mystery.

But a group of researchers at the University of Hong Kong offers an explanation for the two huge bubbles of gamma rays observed by satellite FERMI. Perhaps they are caused by single stars that fall in the supermassive black hole at the center of the Milky Way. Or maybe the "ashes" of a catastrophic event in the past.

arxiv.org...

www.media.inaf.it...

edit on 24-3-2011 by Arken because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   
This universe never seems to lack in astonishment thank you for posting this. Makes you wonder just how small we are, but what is kpc stand for if you don't mind my ignorance?

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Golithion
This universe never seems to lack in astonishment thank you for posting this. Makes you wonder just how small we are, but what is kpc stand for if you don't mind my ignorance?

Kpc= Kiloparsec.

1 kpc = 3.08568025 × 1019 meters.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Cool, that is astonishing really that we just found them now I am highly interested to know if they figure out what exactly they are made out of. Thanks for indulging my ignorance.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arken

Originally posted by Golithion

Kpc= Kiloparsec.

1 kpc = 3.08568025 × 1019 meters.

ok..so that realy defines a "KPC".....

2nd line

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Somewhat ashamed, Ive given up trying to understand space news in detail until I have more free time to restudy basic astronomy.
BUT, Ive see that pic here and there and it reminds me of visual representations Ive seen of quantum physics/string theory stuff. Seems like anything is everything, vice versa, were all one sorta stuff.

Very cool

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   
It also reminds me of these:

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Moonsouljah

You had better put your "water wings" on Moonsouljah.

2nd line

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Lately the most poular words in the mouth of scientists and scholars in every fieldsare... We are stunned...astonishing .... surprise.... havoc in our theory...change of paradigm!

Finally they admit: Our huge ignorance is galactic!

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Our galaxy has balls, huge ones.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by mileysubet

Explanation: Kilo = x1000 and 1 Parsec = 3.26163626 light year

So about 32,616 light years [aprox] across in diameter.

Personal Disclosure: I hope breaking that down into laymens terms helps!

P.S. [edit] BTW the Milkyway Galaxy is about 100,000 lights years in diameter [30kpc] for comparison.

edit on 24-3-2011 by OmegaLogos because: Edited to add the P.S.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   
AWSOME!
What else is there we dont know?

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
So do dogs and horses
second

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Something entirely new? What little I googled after your post offered little more than sketchy information.
The statements by scientists that I browsed ran generally like, "well, ah, it may be this or maybe that, ah, maybe.

Since there is so little to go on at this point I can feel free to imagine with little scientific restraint.

What if these energy sources are two cosmic voyagers that have met in their journeys across the universe. As portals open between them at their joining, a physical or material galaxy is formed between them establishing a vast interface and playground.

Our whole galaxy is this interface. Galactic and human consciousness(if there is a difference) is/are simply a sampling of each other.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arken
Lately the most poular words in the mouth of scientists and scholars in every fieldsare... We are stunned...astonishing .... surprise.... havoc in our theory...change of paradigm!

Finally they admit: Our huge ignorance is galactic!

Yes I love reading these words in articles!

The arrogance of the human condition discarded and at it's heart REAL science can begin. The discovery of everything and knowledge of nothing.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Hmmmm.. intresting article.. Part of me has a wacked out theory that maybe our universe is in reality the size of a particle in another plain of existance. The picture above almost looks like a picture of an atom in our world. Maybe that is what we are, the size of an atom, to another existance.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
There's no need to banish man's quest to discover and understand what it is that makes us up. I don't recall arrogance among the scientific community about things that demonstrate provable and repeatable factors of interactions. I only hear arrogance in people trying to feel superior to the real mathematical scientists with none of their calculations offered. I always tend to side on the community that demonstrated repeatably the successful detonation of nuclear fission, yes the community that made the bomb. They proved their 'theories' are not just pie in the skies.

So they don't know everything about everything but I never heard that they claimed to have.
edit on 24-3-2011 by Illustronic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Very fascinating indeed!

Isn't this a wonderful time to be alive?!

S & F!

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Exactly what I was thinking.In fact I wonder if we are some speck or cell in a gigantic living organisim or host.
Anything is possible

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by paperface

I once had a Philosophy professor who proposed that perhaps "We/our version of life, are merely a dream that some other-wordly entity is having, and when he/it awakes we will all just disappear."

Kinda makes you put things into perspective. We are not as important as we may think we are in the grand scheme of things.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join