It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India says Monsanto covertly, illegally conducted GM corn trials without approval

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
Monsanto's technologies are very pervasive. It is nearly impossible to avoid their direct influence and impact on anything we see marketed for public consumption.

But what is worse is that now they are using legislative power and regulatory influence to hide GMO's from the consumers. That's a bad sign. Really bad.

This is no different than the proliferation of PCB's in our environment (it can even be found int he snow in Antarctica.) Another - closely related kissing cousin of Monsanto is responsible for that. Yet no one speaks of it at all anymore. I believe that is precisely what Monsanto wants for their 'products'.... that we not even acknowledge or recognize that they exist. That we simply rely on them, and them only, for 'acceptable' food stuffs.
edit on 23-3-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

Very true! They have strategically placed certain people in certain positions thru out our govt. to achieve their global dominance agenda. I wonder
where the EPA fine's against Monsanto get recycled, have to make it look good I guess. Yes........bad sign.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Tagging this thread so that I can comment on it tomorrow.

2nd line.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I so want GMO to be labelled. Full disclosure please!

S&F&

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
Monsanto's technologies are very pervasive. It is nearly impossible to avoid their direct influence and impact on anything we see marketed for public consumption.

But what is worse is that now they are using legislative power and regulatory influence to hide GMO's from the consumers. That's a bad sign. Really bad.

I believe that is precisely what Monsanto wants for their 'products'.... that we not even acknowledge or recognize that they exist. That we simply rely on them, and them only, for 'acceptable' food stuffs.

I could not agree more with this. I have 2 examples that will back up these statements.

1. Monsanto owns one of the largest seed distributors in the world, Seminis. They purchased Seminis back in 2005, much to many a farmers dismay. Now, as an average Jo backyard gardener.. would you necessarily know that Burpee...a very reputable seed company for many many years gets some of their seeds from Seminis and that by purchasing from Burpee you may be supporting Monsanto indirectly? No, chances are you would not... because Monsanto does not want you to know that. That kind of knowledge is power..and we all know that Monsanto does not want the everyday Joe to have that kind of power through knowledge. Here is some company info on Seminis from their own website:

Company Info on Seminis' Website

And a very interesting read from the Burpee website where you can see the connections to Semins and Asgrow, both of which are owned by Monsanto.

In 1994 I was asked by my father, the late G. Carl Ball, to assist in part of the transition by serving on the board with him of the new Mexican company—Seminis—composed of Petoseed and several other free-standing companies Mr. Romo bought, from a small watermelon breeding company in Texas to the large corn breeder, Asgrow, of Kalamazoo, Michigan. I served about a year and then left to focus my energies on Burpee, which I had bought, first with my family in the early 90s, and then from my family, in the late 90s. Naturally, as the president of Burpee, I continued to produce seed, as I have done my entire career, but also bought from any company that could do better than I, including my old friends—and former colleagues—at Petoseed, now called Seminis. (This is the core of my business philosophy: sell only the best.)

Source - Burpee's Website

2. Now this piece of information on Monsanto is very very new..at least to me. It occured late in January of this year and has to deal with the USDA strong-arming the organic movement including WholeFoods Market, Stoneyfield Dairy and others of the organic movement. Basically, Monsanto through the USDA is forcing them to accept GMOs to a degree. I will post an article slamming WholeFoods et. al. for what appearsto be them giving in to the USDA (Monsanto) and one from WholeFoods explaining their side of the story. I think it only fair to give both sides to let others make up their own minds on this. Personally I need to do more research but at least these articles will get it out there for those who, like me, had heard nothing of this.

Damning evidence against WholeFoods Market on the Organic Consumers Association website

According to informed sources, the CEOs of WFM and Stonyfield are personal friends of former Iowa governor, now USDA Secretary, Tom Vilsack, and in fact made financial contributions to Vilsack's previous electoral campaigns. Vilsack was hailed as "Governor of the Year" in 2001 by the Biotechnology Industry Organization, and traveled in a Monsanto corporate jet on the campaign trail. Perhaps even more fundamental to Organic Inc.'s abject surrender is the fact that the organic elite has become more and more isolated from the concerns and passions of organic consumers and locavores. The Organic Inc. CEOs are tired of activist pressure, boycotts, and petitions. Several of them have told me this to my face. They apparently believe that the battle against GMOs has been lost, and that it's time to reach for the consolation prize. The consolation prize they seek is a so-called "coexistence" between the biotech Behemoth and the organic community that will lull the public to sleep and greenwash the unpleasant fact that Monsanto's unlabeled and unregulated genetically engineered crops are now spreading their toxic genes on 1/3 of U.S. (and 1/10 of global) crop land.

Article: The Organic Elite Surrender to Monsanto: What Now?

WholeFoods Market's side of the story from their own website blog:

Many people have asked us why we endorsed the coexistence option rather than an outright ban on GE alfalfa. That was never an option in Washington! The USDA presented the industry with only two options that they were considering– deregulation and deregulation with restrictions. Given the pervasive planting of GE crops in the U.S. – 93% of soy, 86% of corn, 93% of cotton and 93% of canola seed planted were genetically engineered in the U.S. in 2010 – the option of an outright ban was not on the table. Whole Foods Market — along with the National Cooperative Grocers Association, the National Organic Coalition, the Organic Trade Association, and other companies and groups — endorsed the path of deregulation with restrictions, or coexistence, not because it was a perfect path, but because it was a path to create meaningful change right now in the regulating of genetically engineered foods and the protection of non-GE foods. Because we supported the USDA’s approach of coexistence, certain consumer groups misunderstood our efforts and accused us of supporting big biotech, endorsing the proliferation of GE crops, and turning our backs on our shoppers’ and their desire to avoid GE food. Nothing could be further from the truth!

WholeFoods Market Website Blog Post

Sorry for the long post, I hope someone out there finds it of some interest.........Cheers!

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
Please see this thread for everyone to be able to sign the petition
abovetopsecret.com...

We Demand to know what is GMO and what is not!

JUst tried to link and got a 404 notice

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
Here we go again with one of the most evil companies on the face of this planet!

This needs to stop and Monsanto needs to be put down as a company, nothing but immoral and illegal behavior left and right surrounds this demonic organizaiton.

The only way to take down such a company is to target the shareholders themselves and hold them personally accountable. It's all men hiding behind the illusion of something without a face to hide from prosecution really.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I hope that India doesn't sell out on this one.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kalki2012
I hope that India doesn't sell out on this one.

Money talks
BS Walks
I think it will sell out.

This has always been the case. The most beurocratic nation in the world with so many political parties, it is very easy to break the grounds since there are so many political parties

Dont you remember the 2 cats and a monkey moral story as a kid ?

edit on 31-3-2011 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Agreed for the full disclosure, and if they don't comply they will be charged for conspiracy. Not just the company as a business unit but all personnel who are involved.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join