It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US states sue over global warming

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I put this in politics and scandals instead of sci-tech for a reason. I don't think science has anything to do with this. This is a political agenda. Nothing more. It goes to show that the lack of credible facts doesn't stop the insane.

Eight US states and New York City filed a lawsuit against five US power companies for their contribution to global warming, in a historic action on Wednesday.

www.newscientist.com...

"If we do not act soon, the steps we will need to take to prevent global warming will be much greater and much harder," says New York Attorney General Eliot Spitzer.

Oh really, and just where do the steps to prevent this phantom menace end?

Carbon dioxide, unlike acid rain-producing sulphur dioxide, for example, is not listed as a "criteria" pollutant regulated by the federal Clean Air Act. Despite appeals to add it to the law, the current administration has refused.

Really, why would that be? Maybe because its a natural occuring element and really not an evil climate changing demon?

The states are invoking a long-held "public nuisance" law aimed at protecting property owners from the actions of their neighbours. "Carbon dioxide doesn't respect state boundaries - we receive all of the pollution and none of the power" from out-of-state plants, Blumenthal says.

Oh really, now thats funny because I thought it went into the atmosphere..in order to cause the "greenhouse" effect? But you're saying its flowing over into your state?

But power companies remain sceptical. "I would like to see their data on that," says Pat Hemlepp, spokesman for American Electric Power (AEP), the country's largest electricity generator.

Quite frankly Pat, so would they. But for now, your just going to have to take them at their word.

Switching from coal to natural gas, for example, would drive the price of natural gas even higher than it is, raising energy costs for consumers

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winnah. Get a law passed that raises energy costs and then blame someone else for it. "California here I come...Right back where I started from".

Outside observers believe the suit could start a trend. "If the states win the lawsuit, this would open up the door for other actions,"

Well, at least this trend would still be preferable to reality TV.

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Yeah i did a post about this about a week ago- its terrible- especialy when you do more reasearch on the net- it is all very scary!

new topics

join