It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Killer Wave (Tsunami) threat to UK and surrounding areas

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   
"A Tsunami could hit Britain at anytime according to experts". ?
I have just been reading some news and now the threat seems to be aimed at UK and the West Coasts of Europe including West Africa.
saying the main threat is from a Volcano called Cumbre Vieja on La Palma in the Canary Islands.
en.wikipedia.org...
Prof Bill McGuire of the University of London said if it happened (which is likely) it could trigger a Mega-Wave which could swamp the South-West coast of the UK. He goes onto say that " We dont know when it will go but it will happen at some point ! "
The worst part is that the waves could be 6 - 7 metres high if it hit here (UK)
and us Brits wont have any early warning as there is NO Tsunami Alert System in place anywhere for Europes Atlantic Coastline ????
It also goes on to say that UKs network of coastal based Nuclear Power Stations would be at risk from a Tsunami.

The British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC 2 Channel) transmitted “Mega-tsunami; Wave of Destruction”[5], which suggested that a future failure of the western flank of the Cumbre Vieja would cause a "mega-tsunami."
Day et al. (1999)[6] and Ward and Day (2001)[7] hypothesize that during a future unascertained eruption, the western half of the Cumbre Vieja – approximately 500 km3 (5 x 1011 m3) with an estimated mass 1.5 x 1015 kg – will catastrophically fail in a massive gravitational landslide and enter the Atlantic Ocean generating a so called "mega-tsunami." The debris will continue to travel, as a debris flow, along the ocean floor. Computer modelling indicates that the resulting initial wave may attain a local amplitude (height) in excess of 600 metres (1,969 ft) and an initial peak to peak height that approximates to 2 kilometres (1 mi), and travel at about 1,000 kilometres per hour (621 mph) (approximately the speed of a jet aircraft), inundating the African coast in about 1 hour, the southern coast of England in about 3.5 hours, and the eastern seaboard of North America in about 6 hours, by which time the initial wave would have subsided into a succession of smaller ones each about 30 metres (98 ft) to 60 metres (197 ft) high. These may surge to several hundred metres in height and be several kilometres apart but retaining their original speed. The models of Day et al.[6] and Ward and Day[7] suggest that it could inundate up to 25 kilometres (16 mi) inland. This would greatly damage or destroy cities along the entire North American eastern seaboard, and tens of millions would be killed as Boston, New York City, Miami, and many other cities that are located near the Atlantic coast are leveled.

Its also suggested that a Under Sea Quake off portugal could create the same problems .
I could only find this old news snippet which shows any details of a portugal wave
www.monstersandcritics.com...

Now judging by the pattern that has been happening around the globe since February 2011, and quakes that have started popping up across Africa, maybe the Canary Islands are now next in the firing line and if it does happen then we will be having problems of our own..

Any thoughts one this one guys
('
')

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   
There have been quite a few experts warning of various threats here and there since the combined disasters in Japan. Where were they before the dreadful events last week in Japan?? Scaremongering sells newspapers and after the shock and awe of the Japanese disaster the media and experts are playing on peoples fears to turn a few quid. These threats were there before last week and they will be there next week so maybe an tsunami early warning system for the coasts of Europe would not be such a bad idea.
edit on 22-3-2011 by oddnutz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by psyclops777

Yes this: Matthew 24:7

“Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. All these are the beginning of birth pains.”

This is just the beginning, and there is much pain suffering and death and the real stuff is not here yet.
1.Learn your fault lines, and stay away from them.
2.Stay away from NYC, and London, as they are targets to be nuked.
3.Watch where the wars are going, and move around them.
4.Learn what wild foods you can eat, and how to prepare them.
5.Stay away from coast lines.
6.Learn to talk to God, as he is the only one who can tell you what is coming

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by SpitBallWeaver

Yes this: Matthew 24:7 “Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. All these are the beginning of birth pains.”

"As the moon rises in your birth sign mars, influencing your circle of friends you may meet a man or a woman with dark hair, who will bring you news"

Get a grip man why on earth do you have to introduce your superstitious nonsense into an otherwise decent enough thread ?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Well yes it could happen, and we could get hit by an asteroid. We could fearmonger to our hearts content.
Wikipedia isn't the most well regarded of resources. Can you back this up with something more credible?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by psyclops777

This has been doing the rounds for at least a decade, probably more.

The 'experts' keep on about this Canary Island shelf breaking off and causing a mega tsunami, and tell us that many, many millions will die, trillion upon trillion of £/$/e will be lost and the world will never be the same again.

Yet...nothing is done..not even so much as a warning system being installed.

If i ran the world, trillions would not be spent on war, but on massive civil engineering projects, the likes of which our world have never seen before.

I would physically dismantle the island, or at least the part they keep bleating on about falling off.
Nibbling away at a giant it may be, but better to spend 20 years nibbling away at the shelf, than to have it break off in one huge chunk!

But OH NO...multiple millions of lives, our way of life, our children's futures are not worth the effort..are they!

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by psyclops777
Prof Bill McGuire of the University of London said if it happened (which is likely) it could trigger a Mega-Wave which could swamp the South-West coast of the UK. He goes onto say that " We dont know when it will go but it will happen at some point ! "
The worst part is that the waves could be 6 - 7 metres high if it hit here (UK)

Well I live in the south west, currently I am 5 miles as the crow flies from the sea at an elevation of nearly 60 meters... If I get wet god help everyone else

Didn't a lot of that La Palma data get refuted? Actually maybe I should have read the article thoroughly before posting! I think the worst event would be a sizeable space rock hitting the Atlantic, if that could throw a 60+ meter wave 5 miles in land that is one kick ass way to go! - Also that would kill a couple of billion at least, any bigger and that would be an extinction level event?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by zenius

heres the guy himself www.billmcguire.co.uk... , he seems to look and sound credible so why would'nt we believe what he has to say

and looking at recent to past Quakes and the likes, the Canary Islands are over due an event and the likely hood is rising especially with the last couple of Quakes recently around and in Africa..
A couple of years ago people were saying the volcano in Iceland couldnt/wouldnt cause any problems but sure enough last year, thats exactly what it did..

I am not trying to fear monger anyone, but for people on here who are not aware of what position we are in,( in the UK) and try to educate them that there is a risk. Especially as we dont have a Warning System in place

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Lets assume for a minute that this could happen , how can anyone actually prepare for a tsuanmi coming across our shores? Stay in doors , move to higher ground , live on a boat?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
How weird is that
I have just checked USGS
earthquake.usgs.gov...
to see what Quakes for the last few hours and Wham!

MAP 5.1 2011/03/22 14:45:20 -33.160 -16.017 14.1 SOUTHERN MID-ATLANTIC RIDGE
MAP 6.0 2011/03/22 13:31:30 -33.106 -16.027 14.5 SOUTHERN MID-ATLANTIC RIDGE

this is west africa like I described in my post. except I posted my post early this morning ? a good 6 hours before they happened

and heres one from the early hours
MAP 5.0 2011/03/22 05:44:32 -57.444 -25.831 84.1 SOUTH SANDWICH ISLANDS REGION

like I said there is more activity now in this area where its normally quiet ? just glad that Canary Islands arnt listed as a Fault Line
Phew

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I did a bit of research on this earlier this year (after reading various posts on this site) as I live on the Cornish coast. I found the following defra research interesting....

www.defra.gov.uk/environment/flooding/documents/risk/tsunami06.pdf

I now keep an eye on various earthquake monitoring sites!!

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Athough the media like to pick it up again from time to time, the Cumbre Vieja landside theory has been shown to be incorrect. There is no evidence it has ever caused a large tsunami, nor that it ever will.

www.iberianature.com...

However, Britain did get hit by a 4m+ tsunami around 8,000 years ago.

en.wikipedia.org...

It probably led to the end of Doggerland in the North Sea. No evidence it'll happen again though.

And lets face it, a meteorite might land on Big Ben tomorrow. Should we therefore hide in our caves just in case?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
In East Anglia we are always under threat of floods, as are many parts of the flatter UK. We still do regular drills and our warning systems are very good. Some beaches, like Winterton still have the old WW2 air-rade sirens, don't stand underneith these. We use HAM radio to alert villages in poor reception areas. Each village has its own flood squad and evacuation centres. No sea is always friendly and it can turn on any coastal country in a moment, even the UK. Cornwall has had its fare share of floods. Like anywhere we wouldn't get much warning if something really big hit but we are waiting. We are due another big flood here even with all our sea defences.
Some stats for you.
Area of damage: over 1000 miles of coastline damaged
Sea defences and sea walls breached in over 1000 places
Over 30 000 people were evacuated from their homes
307 people were killed (over 1800 across in the Netherlands, around Zeeland)
Over 20 000 homes were flooded, Power stations, Gasworks, Sewage works and water supplies were disrupted. Saltwater contaminated the water supply in Hunstanton.
100 miles of the road network was temporarily impassable, and 200 miles of railway network was out of action
Over 40 000 head of livestock were lost
Over 150 000 acres of farmland were inundated, and were not usable for several years
Jobs were affected as over 200 industrial premises were damaged
The damage was estimated at £50 million (1953 prices)
I remember my uncles house having a brass plack on the wall showing the water level of 10 foot, don't know what that is in mili-splods, sorry.
If we go, we will go out fighting .

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Tzavros

I live in the west coast of Cumbria near to cockermouth where we had unpresidented floods (biblical they said) once in a 1000 years hmmm what kind of sh1t did they come up with that i wonder but we are still feeling it now

edit on 22/3/11 by psyclops777 because: sent wrong info to wrong post

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Essan

Little info to you guys punkbusting my posts why I am taking a BIG interest in all this Tsunami news. I live in west Cumbria not far from Cockermouth, yes! the place that was plastered all over the news last year for its Biblical Floods of a 1000 years which took out 100 year old bridges and cut off whole towns from each other. I think my posting of education is probably needed right now with all whats happening around the world. Oh yes must not forget the fact that we have Sellafield Nuclear right on our coastline which could be hit by any sea based Tsunami and yes we do have Low Lying land which is submerged quite easily. so I dont really need the ifs and whats, but people to discuss the Probable of If it does hit and how we overcome the consequences..
and I dont agree with the " it wont happen cos it hasnt? thoughts".
If a 30ft Tsunami was to hit the coast where I live then yeh Sh1t I will be very flooded and lose everything I have here....

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I'm sick of these "It could happen at any time" experts!

I think we are all aware that any natural disaster can happen at just about any time

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Wilkspaul

here here paul, thats what I have been trying to say but no one seems to want to listen.... why hasnt the uk got a Tsunami alert system. are we not worthy. doesnt matter if we are not surrounded by oceans we still need one. as for my original posting. we should still listen to guys like this as they have been study-ing these probabilities a lot longer than we have. so they must know something about these possible scenarios

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
History Channel:

Ko3

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I see things this way - if it happens, it happens. I don't want to waste my last days worrying about what might happen.

Live each day as it comes.

We're dead a long time.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by kid_of_3NKi

Thanks for posting that Video. thats Exactly what I was trying to get across to people in my post. thank god we got ATS members like you who can help me in this one

thanks again
S&F added

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join