It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoke Now Coming From Reactors 2 & 3, Plant Evacuated

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   
As this is a major development which has been ongoing for a couple hours, I thought it should have a thread for those not keeping up with the longer ones.

Just saw live on CNN TV that "white smoke" is now coming from reactor #2 as well as #3.

Not so good.

Here is a link for #3 and the evac from earlier tonight, still looking for a link to the breaking news on 2.

Okay, smoke coming from #2 is the headline story here currently: CNN Live Blog for Japan
edit on 21-3-2011 by sepermeru because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   
As much as I'm a doom hound, I really hope for the best in japan... I'm praying they get this thing under control.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   
If they have totally evacuated the plant, meaning no one is even attempting to mitigate the situation, I suspect that we will be seeing a lot more smoke coming out in the near future.

Activities in Libya have provided quite the distraction from this ongoing catastrophe, at least in Western media.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Started a new thread as soon as #3 started smoking.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   
CNN live TV now adding a build-up of pressure to the smoke from #3, though not sure if that is still from earlier, and confirming smoke at #2. Says they're about to get a report on 2. Very confused -- first he said they were going to spray mortar into #4, then that they were going to try to get the cooling systems running. Okay, live report on #2 coming on right now. Will update this post after.

"We can only assume the smoke contains radioactive material, which is causing some fear..." Nothing really new yet, but...

It sounds like the plant is empty, you guys.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   
noone cares about this. shouldnt we be posting about how the moon didnt kill everyone last night?

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by notsofunnyguy
Started a new thread as soon as #3 started smoking.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Fantastic!

LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIINE

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Doesn't look good...

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   
They really should have started entombing after the initial explosions (Boron in the mix). Michaio Kaku changed his tune even later than he probably should have. At the same time and oddly enough, Bill Nye (The Science Guy) stated on the air that there was no way to get these reactors back under control. I was thinking he would be the guy telling the kids at home everything was going to just fine.

I would say we are on a roll now, globally. I have never been one to fear monger and I have always taken the calm position. I chime in on occasion easing the minds of those whom seem anxious reading some of the outlandish threads here on ATS....Right now, I am very seriously concerned about what is happening in the world for the first time and the reasons for that have been showing up all year long.

We have some serious issues to conquer and I mean all humanity. I know not the extent but I do know whatever comes from all of this will not be a walk in the park.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   
I just read that the smoke has now stopped coming out

2nd

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRemedial
They really should have started entombing after the initial explosions (Boron in the mix). Michaio Kaku changed his tune even later than he probably should have. At the same time and oddly enough, Bill Nye (The Science Guy) stated on the air that there was no way to get these reactors back under control. I was thinking he would be the guy telling the kids at home everything was going to just fine.

I would say we are on a roll now, globally. I have never been one to fear monger and I have always taken the calm position. I chime in on occasion easing the minds of those whom seem anxious reading some of the outlandish threads here on ATS....Right now, I am very seriously concerned about what is happening in the world for the first time and the reasons for that have been showing up all year long.

We have some serious issues to conquer and I mean all humanity. I know not the extent but I do know whatever comes from all of this will not be a walk in the park.

Great post man.

I could not agree more. It's pretty clear how close to the brink we are of a potential unprecedented catastrophe.

The way I see it I guess is, if we have one of the reactors meltdown how are they possibly going to stop the rest? If they all meltdown it is literally bye bye Japan forever. Japan will be but a memory in the pages of history... And if that happens you can see what will happen to the global economy. Bye bye global economy!

It's about as simple as that in my eyes
edit on 21-3-2011 by Nomad451 because: spelling

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   
This is a poor timr for thre winds to shift to the south.Two days of those winds will send the stuff towards more heavly populated areas.
They are going to have to hurry with the entombment to avert the worst of it.God help the people of Japan.....

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Workers evacuated after smoke at nuke plant

Some workers were temporarily evacuated from the quake-hit Fukushima nuclear plant in north-east Japan after a plume of grey smoke rose from reactor No. 3, plant operator TEPCO said.

There are now reports of white smoke coming from reactor No. 2 at the complex.

The news came after TEPCO confirmed power cables had been connected to all six nuclear reactors at the stricken power plant

japan nuclear plant
edit on 21-3-2011 by usanews because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Just now: CNN live reporter in Tokyo says TEPCO has confirmed smoke at both #2 and #3. "We don't know the cause or what's in it."

They're not mentioning that earlier reports said the smoke at 3 was coming from the area of the spent fuel.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Just watched a video called "The True Battle of Chernobyl" on Google Videos. One thing I didn't appreciate was the risk of an explosion that would have wiped out everything in about a 300km radius and rendered Europe uninhabitable.

I know there's been lots of media/information about how this is nothing like Chernobyl, but what does strike me as similar is the flow of information (or lack of it) and authorities not informing the population of the risks.

Now, there's a big difference between the Soviet government and the Japanese government, but from 9 years living in Japan I do know that the government in general likes to "keep things quiet".

I really hope there is no risk of catastrophe here. I have family living in Sendai just 100km north of the plant. I thought they were far enough away to be OK, but now I am not so sure. I've been trying to encourage them to come to Australia and stay with us if they can, but they think I am being paranoid.

I really hope the authorities can keep this under control.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by EyesWideShut
As much as I'm a doom hound, I really hope for the best in japan... I'm praying they get this thing under control.

praying the best for Japan..are you kidding me??..you have to pray for the whole world or you still dont get it that this disaster may well encircle the whole planet?

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   
I can't see how they'll be able to control the other reactors if one goes into meltdown. Wouldn't it theoretically cause all of them to meltdown? And at that point, how could anyone say it isn't as catastrophic as Chernobyl? The word of the smoke coming from reactor three is alarming, I don't think things are quite as "controlled" as they would want us to believe.

It looks like the world may be in for a shock... Be prepared everyone, my thoughts and prayers are with you all.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Ok, from the pic I've posted couple of posts back, it looks like #3 suffered another explosion. I mean #3 didn't look like that before...phew...

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by MoonandStar
Ok, from the pic I've posted couple of posts back, it looks like #3 suffered another explosion. I mean #3 didn't look like that before...phew...

Good catch. I noticed the same thing, too. It looks like reactor 3 building is almost completely gone now. Looks like it totally exploded or something since last time I saw it. But of course the Japanese government and media are telling us everything, aren't they?

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   

9:27 a.m. Monday ET, 10:27 p.m. Monday Tokyo] Tokyo Electric Power Company will resume rolling blackouts in the Tokyo metropolitan area on Tuesday as power demand is expected to surpass supply, Kyodo News reported. The blackouts could last several hours between 9:20 a.m. and 10 p.m., the Kyodo report said. Monday was a holiday in Japan, reducing demand for electricity in businesses.

[8:57 a.m. Monday ET, 9:57 p.m. Monday Tokyo] "The crisis has still not been resolved, and the situation at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant remains very serious," Yukiya Amano, the director-general of the International Atomic Energy Agency, told its board of governors Monday after a visit to the site. "Buildings have been damaged by explosions," he said. "There has, for the most part, been no electric power. Radiation levels are elevated. It is no exaggeration to describe the work of the emergency teams as heroic."

CNN Live Blog

Anyone else find the timing of these suspicious? Are the Tokyo blackouts related to the situation at the plant?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join