It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bonnie Raitt Joins in Bush Bashing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Courtesy of Drudge Report

Raitt Hopes Bush Won't Be Re-Elected

STOCKHOLM, Sweden - Winding up her summer tour across Europe, rhythm and blues singer Bonnie Raitt (news) drew thunderous applause at the Stockholm Jazz Festival for dedicating a classic to U.S. President George W. Bush (news - web sites).

"We're gonna sing this for George Bush because he's out of here, people!" Raitt crowed Tuesday night before she launched into the opening licks of "Your Good Thing (Is About to End)," a cover that was featured on her 1979 album "The Glow."

You Bush lovers might as well get used to it, because the great majority of celebrities cannot stand Bush and his gang of corrupt thugs. As the election nears, more and more celebrities are going to be speaking out forcefully against Bush.

Go ahead and boycott their music and movies. Be sure to write angry letters and make angry phone calls to get sponsors to take away their celebrity endorsements. By all means, continue your anti free speech activities. Sure, you have free speech, but you are abusing your free speech rights when you try to cause problems for others who are just expressing their opinion.

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Dr. Evil's voice: "...Riiiiiight..."

Why should I care about what a 'celebrity' thinks? Actors, athletes, musicians... they're just entertainers, not PhD's in Political Science, Economics, Science, Military Strategy, or Government.

A musician says she doesn't like Bush? On a tour in the middle of Europe? Big deal.

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 05:22 AM
link   
I'm really starting to believe that the out dated artists are getting on the bush bashing bandwagon for alittle media attention...
Two words: Attention Whores...

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 05:32 AM
link   

You don't think this 1979 hit musician is in dire need of at least alittle media attention??

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 04:49 PM
link   
many entertainers put there protest in song back in the 60s. This is not a new thing. There is nothing wrong with anyone wanting to express their opinion. It just happens when one is on the opposite side one becomes irritated.

"There will be fighting in the streets with our children at our feet"

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThunderCloud
Dr. Evil's voice: "...Riiiiiight..."

Why should I care about what a 'celebrity' thinks? Actors, athletes, musicians... they're just entertainers, not PhD's in Political Science, Economics, Science, Military Strategy, or Government.

A musician says she doesn't like Bush? On a tour in the middle of Europe? Big deal.

I agree with you. What the hell do they know about such things when they cant even run their own lives. Next thing you know we will see reality tv folks giving their "advice" on the correct way to run things. If they are so smart how come they are not in charge? Whatever an celebrity (who has probably had many plastic surgeries to stay in the game) says will make no change in my support of Bush.

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I mean just look at her, you can see the dire need of a plastic surgeon who has been known to perform miracles. They should have turned off the lights when they took that picture....Let there be darkness. Its like she was hit with a bus and then it backed up onto her several times.

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by donguillermo
Go ahead and boycott their music and movies. Be sure to write angry letters and make angry phone calls to get sponsors to take away their celebrity endorsements. By all means, continue your anti free speech activities. Sure, you have free speech, but you are abusing your free speech rights when you try to cause problems for others who are just expressing their opinion.

Um... What exactly does this mean? If you boycott ther movies etc. are you not just expressing your opinion? How is that abusing your free speech rights? Unless of course you are saying that their opinion is some how more valuable because of their status? Voicing your opinion is anti free speech?

Or is it that the liberal voice = free speech and the conservative voice = anti free speech. That truly seems to be your position.

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seth Bullock

Originally posted by donguillermo

Um... What exactly does this mean? If you boycott ther movies etc. are you not just expressing your opinion? How is that abusing your free speech rights? Unless of course you are saying that their opinion is some how more valuable because of their status? Voicing your opinion is anti free speech?

Or is it that the liberal voice = free speech and the conservative voice = anti free speech. That truly seems to be your position.

Boycotting music and movies is one thing. That is not what I was referring to. Reread my post. I said "you are abusing your free speech rights when you try to cause problems for others who are just expressing their opinion." Notice the immediately preceding sentence. "Be sure to write angry letters and make angry phone calls to get sponsors to take away their celebrity endorsements." That type of activity is an abuse of free speech, in my opinion. It is an attempt to silence, suppress, or punish speech of others with which you disagree. Do your free speech rights entitle you to do it? Of course.

And my free speech rights include the right to express my opinion that people who try to suppress, punish, or interfere with the free speech of others are fascists.

[edit on 7/23/2004 by donguillermo]

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by TACHYON
I mean just look at her, you can see the dire need of a plastic surgeon who has been known to perform miracles. They should have turned off the lights when they took that picture....Let there be darkness. Its like she was hit with a bus and then it backed up onto her several times.

If you hadn't stated earlier of your support for Bush the statement above would be all it would take to tell me what side of the fence you are on. Typical response from that side of the fence. Perhaps you should post your pic where we can critique?

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueLies
I'm really starting to believe that the out dated artists are getting on the bush bashing bandwagon for alittle media attention...
Two words: Attention Whores...

I was just thinking the same thing...who cares what Bonnie says?...Whats next...is Grand Master Flash gonna speak at the democratic convention?

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I think the people went to see a concert not a CNN political debate.

new topics

top topics

join