It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some hide from radiation. Others…..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Try to collect the most radioactive stuff they can find, and bring it home with them.

The antitheses of most of the people on this site.

Those, and other videos of her's shows her looking at the tailings piles of various uranium mines. The tailings are basically the overburden that is removed to get to the ore bearing rock. Not processed in any way. They are exactly the same thing that was pulled out of the ground.

Then there is…….

I think it’s neat where people are commenting that his PPE is a bit overkill for the situation……… But government work requires you wear the stupid junk no mater how stupid it is.

He is basically doing radiological surveys of tailings form different mines. Notice that he is trying to hold the probe a specified distance from the surface being checked so that the reading will be a viable measure of the activity of the source.

There is a lot of places in the US where the naturally exposed rocks are that “hot”. The uranium mine is just a place to go where you know it will be that hot because other people have already found the hot spot and mined it.

Heck, your house, may be setting on natural rock formations and dirt that are as hot, or hotter than the stuff shown in the videos.

I have some uranium rock that I got out of a yard at my relative’s house in AZ. It makes the Geiger click along pretty good, but it was being used as a border rock around their vegetable garden for years. Along with many other hot rocks (that were pulled from the hillside behind the house).

This stuff is what I am referring to when I talk about other parts of the US that are naturally high in radioactivity. Dust blown up from those places is what causes radiation spikes in other parts of the country when it rains.

People have been living in hot spots like these for thousands of years, without problems. So the fear of a little radiation from a power plant thousands of miles away is a bit overblown.

edit on 20-3-2011 by Mr Tranny because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
So radiation is the new "cool" thing is it? Can't wait for this fad to disappear into obscurity like the rest of them. If you're not Japanese, you have no reason to fear radiation at all!! Small amounts are good for you too.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by routerboy

I have my doubts that small amounts of radiation is
good for you.It is like saying that small amounts of
poison is good for you too.Either one will eventually
kill you!

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth

I have my doubts that small amounts of radiation is
good for you.It is like saying that small amounts of
poison is good for you too.Either one will eventually
kill you!

Actually small amounts of poison are good for you. Just about every mineral and drug we take has a lethal dose. The lethal dose is calculated @ LD g/kg

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by routerboy
So radiation is the new "cool" thing is it? Can't wait for this fad to disappear into obscurity like the rest of them. If you're not Japanese, you have no reason to fear radiation at all!! Small amounts are good for you too.

Where in my post, or in the videos, is the implication that radiation is good for you? I am just stating that the fear is overblown, not that it is good for anyone.

Because, if the fears over a few uR of radiation from a power plant across the ocean is well founded, then about three quarters of the US needs to be evacuated because it is a natural radioactive contamination zone!!!!!!!!

I could just as easily state that radiation hysteria was the new cool thing after three mile island, and the cold war, but it’s finally gone out of fad and people are starting to realize that it’s all overblown.

The simple fact is that radiation levels like this haven’t shown any ill effects. And if they did, we would know about it because millions of people have lived around “hot” areas for thousands of years.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Tranny

Eh.. I was just stating a fact. Small amounts IS good for you.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

The LD50 is on of the most popular benchmarks.

The choice of 50% lethality as a benchmark avoids the potential for ambiguity of making measurements in the extremes, and reduces the amount of testing required. However, this also means that LD50 is not the lethal dose for all subjects; some may be killed by much less, while others survive doses far higher than the LD50. Measures such as 'LD1' and 'LD99' (dosage required to kill 1% or 99% respectively of the test population) are occasionally used for specific purposes.

The LDL is another interesting benchmark. Which is the 'lowest lethal dose'. You have seen how many people are interested in getting their hands on potassium iodide...

Potassium Iodide

Lowest Published Lethal Dose: LDL [Human] - Route: Oral; Dose: 28 mg/kg

For someone that weighs about 100lbs, the LDL is 1268mg's or 1.27 grams.

MSDS DATA SHEET - Potassium Iodide

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Good post Boncho. Just goes to show, you should not try to self medicate without getting advice from the appropriate government health agencies first.
edit on 20-3-2011 by routerboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Just because some people shouldn't make up their own mind doesn't mean everyone shouldn't. I have some potassium iodide pills in case good ole' besse blows and I will get more when these expire. If your brain works with at least 9% usage, you should be able to understand self medication without your government telling you what and when to do it. If they spent as much time educating people as they did controlling them our civilization would thrive.
edit on 20-3-2011 by ImmortalIntegrity because: more thoughts

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by ImmortalIntegrity

Yes, by all means my respected foe - keep pills in case of emergency - but an idea would be to keep yourself up to date here www.health.gov... in case any new info comes out. There may be potential dangers people are unaware of. Lethal, potential dangers as highlighted already in this thread.
edit on 20-3-2011 by routerboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Please routerboy I'm your friend. If I was your foe I would be knock knock knocking on your front door.

edit on 20-3-2011 by ImmortalIntegrity because: smile, your on camera

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Tranny
TI have some uranium rock that I got out of a yard at my relative’s house in AZ. It makes the Geiger click along pretty good, but it was being used as a border rock around their vegetable garden for years. Along with many other hot rocks (that were pulled from the hillside behind the house).

This stuff is what I am referring to when I talk about other parts of the US that are naturally high in radioactivity. Dust blown up from those places is what causes radiation spikes in other parts of the country when it rains.

Um, just thought I'd point out that the high levels observed in California/Oregon/Washington coastal cities during Fukushima rainout events cannot be from Colorado/Arizona/New Mexico dust because- the prevailing wind in the US blows from the Pacific. Colorado et al are downwind of California.

Unless you are reminding us that Colorado dust does go global when lifted into the stratosphere

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chakotay
Um, just thought I'd point out that the high levels observed in California/Oregon/Washington coastal cities during Fukushima rainout events cannot be from Colorado/Arizona/New Mexico dust because- the prevailing wind in the US blows from the Pacific. Colorado et al are downwind of California.

Unless you are reminding us that Colorado dust does go global when lifted into the stratosphere

We are having lengthy discussions on radioactive particles blowing over from japan in the jet stream. The jet stream doesn’t care where the particle came from. It will blow it along just like anything else. The rain out you will be getting will also include dust and stuff from Asia and Russia. Not just the stuff from japan.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Here is a PDF that goes into the bases behind the source of the radiation in a “rainout”. The “rainouts” event happened during a Tunguska expedition in 1999. Their instrumentation determined that the source of the radiation in the rainouts was radon decay products.

tunguska.tsc.ru...

Here is another PDF that shows the radiation plot from a normal radon “rainout” in 1979. on page 23

library.sciencemadness.org...

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Just so that non of you can say that you have never heard of the word hormesis or how it applies to radiation...

www.21stcenturysciencetech.com...

radiationhormesis.vpinf.com...

Just as constant exposure to danger breads contempt for it our body has natural defense mechanisms that are turned on when exposed to certain threats and if these threats are not significant, as the body tends to overeact in it's own defense, these biological mechanisms may actually extend your life or lead to better general health.

Stellar

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
S.T.A.L.K.E.R anyone...?

top topics

join