It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Compasses going crazy...Theories and Research

page: 51
<< 48  49  50    52  53  54 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Liberterius

Yes 40 Miles per year now, up from 5 miles per year, a decade ago, 800% increase in magnetic pole change, was the figure, that was posted that may not be up to date and current, as it does not sound like it getting slower, hope that we all agree....

There was another related mention of the scientific name of the anomaly possibly causing the unexplained sound in Florida and elsewhere, that was quoted in the article, that might be entertained in this thread www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   

But by all means lets start another paranoid schizophrenic thread about the powers that be....

How did you get this from my simple question?
And quite frankly I think you have a crappy attitude throughout this whole thread. You have stated your opinion over and over. Maybe you need to go for a long walk. Be certain to take your compass with you.
edit on 3/21/2011 by VeniVidi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
With 2012 fast approaching, there has been a lot of speculation about the poles changing place or moving. While the possibility of a polar shift is quite possible, and appears to have happened in the past, another possibility needs to be considered.

There is strong evidence that the surface of our planet — the thin skin called the “crust” — has suddenly shifted in the past. While the Earth remained in its normal axis, this shift caused entire continents and oceans to move, changing climates and altering entire ecosystems and weather patterns.
For sure Big events are Happening!

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by VeniVidi

If you think I have a crappy attitude you would be correct and I cannot fault you for that but agree with you, and I think I'm done posting because it is very likely I have become too enamored with this post (I do find it fascinating, but more of as a compass "how to" so to speak), kudos. But I truly believe everything I have stated is accurate and I have no regrets whatsoever.

Peace brother!

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by VeniVidi

They do.
Monthly
edit on 3/21/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Faith2011

Find it very interesting that there are doubters of the facts, presented that are not in question and any subject of debate, would need some form of creditableness, to even remotely quantify and/or qualify...

As, fact is now the planet magnetic field is changing, magnetic north, is moving at 40 miles per year now, an increase of 35 miles per year, a less than a few decades(20 years) 800% increase and it is getting faster and faster, it appears based upon all the data presented and anyone who is questioning or doubting the compass readings, as being valid data findings, really should have their water tested and/or check and make sure the medication they are taking willingly or not, is helping or not, as let's us not go the way of solipsism or some other philosophical path, that does not prove true!

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

and anyone who is questioning or doubting the compass readings, as being valid data findings, really should have their water tested and/or check and make sure the medication they are taking willingly or not, is helping or not, as let's us not go the way of solipsism or some other philosophical path, that does not prove true!

What you're not obviously grasping is that 99.9% of peoples "findings" are non-scientific and carried out by people who never held a compass in their hands nor are aware of magnetic deviation. Hence their "findings" are suspect by anyone who isn't wearing a tinfoil hat. Try to keep up will you, no one is debating the shift of the magnetic pole, the pole has shifted as long as we have been measuring it.

Duh.....winning.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
LIberterius: Just to let you know sweetheart, I am not one of those that falls for any and everything. I do NOT believe in aliens, alien abductions, 2012, the edgar (edward) cayce person's predictions, nostradamous, out of body experiences/astral projections, psychics, "ghosts" (although I admit I enjoy looking at the "photos" sometimes), zombies, or anything else along those lines.

I DO believe in however God, Christ Jesus, the Holy Spirit, angels, demons, heaven, and hell, and although it hasn't been proven, I believe that something is just not right with the 9/11 official story. I also believe that animals as well as people can be affected and sometimes noticeably by the changes in their environment and earth.

So with all that said and now you know a little bit more of what I believe and where I am coming from when I tell my story on here. I am not a scientist but I also do not fall for just any old cockamaime story that pops up in the news or here on ATS. In fact, usually I am a lurker. I have been on here since 2009 and as you can see I have very few posts and most of them are in THIS thread. I don't swallow garbage and really could care less if anybody else in the world is reading a difference in their compass or not. I just care about mine and not that it's any huge revelation or has some dire consequence, but just thought it was interesting and the more you argue with me the more I want to figure out WHY my compass is acting hinky.

So go blow your smoke up someone else's chimney for a while will ya? I just looked and there are numerous other threads dealing with this same thing now for you to go attack. Better yet, bring your perfectly correct compass and your self-induced overblown ego to my neck of the woods and take some readings for yourself there wise guy.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by watchdog

Fair enough, and I'm not aiming to be a debunker, and I truly do respect everyones opinion (just not those opposite of mine hehh hheh hheh heee - joke there). I simply am trying to point out that we have no empirical evidence ( a word I learned along with my math and physics degrees not that they mean anything here) that there was anything other than a momentary shift by the OP in his readings, or the OP has a bad compass, or that the OP is confused. No evidence, but alot of people as I said who don't even know how to read a compass (and I'm not talking about pointing and reading what's in front of them, I would hope you all are capable of that) but how to actually read and adjust what we all (well obviously not all of us) know as our magnetic deviation is and interpret it, well, your observation means nothing to any educated person. Nothing at all. Whatever it was that may or may not have existed to original OP's readings has passed. Whatever it was was clearly no deviation in the earths magnetic field as has been proven over and again but if there truly was any deviation, was entirely local. Yet now everyone on ATS with a cellphone is now learning what most of us learned as 3rd graders, that there is a difference between magnetic north and true north and the monkeys are now running the zoo.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I'm also mapping the rumble sounds on the Google map.

Just for giggles I added the known HAARP installations. Green arrow with asterisk, both Russian and others. Dunno if the Russian one is operating. Feel free to move them to a more accurate location.

Compass readings, follow the directions here. Just enter your zip code and Volia'! It even has a handy compass on a map to show you where magnetic north is.

Thread I created for just the data without discussion. Of course that didn't work.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Liberterius
reply to post by ScorpioRising

These "anomalies" are with certain peoples understanding of basic compass skills and knowledge, not with the Earths magnetic fields. If you perhaps opened your eyes this would be blatantly obvious to you. GPS's and Garmins and phone app "compasses" point to geographic north, this is because they are for people in cities who couldn't find their way across town without a google app. Real compasses point to what is called magnetic North, magnetic north and geographic north are not the same thing, now stay with me here because here is where it gets really confusing for some folks, everywhere on the surface of the planet owing to geologic features and the makeup of the underlying earth mantle there is whats called "magnetic variation" or deviation in some circles, what this means is that how "far off" your compass points to from magnetic North depends on where you are and what the deviation is there. With me? not only do all compasses not point to geographic north they also don't even point to true magnetic north depending upon where you are. This is what everyone posting here about "anomolies" truly and obviously do not understand.

Debunked.
edit on 20-3-2011 by Liberterius because: misspelling

I understand that some people want to make sure that everyone understands how to properly read their compasses, THAT I do not have an issue with at all. It is very helpful. My issue is with certain posters not just giving educational responses as you have done in your response to me.
There is no need for the bad attitude from people.
Say what you have to say, if its an explanation for some of the readings then copy and paste it every few pages if it is that important but lay off the personal attacks and insults. That's all. (not directed at you btw)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Hey gang. Long time lurker, first time poster.

Compass is screwy in Londonderry, NH ("Not the end of the world, but you can see it from here" so says the Chamber of Commerce). Declination *should* be 15° 5' W according to the NOAA site. Used my trusty ol' Boy Scouts compass and an orienteering compass, (and a Droid app for the heck of it). All came back at around 32° East. So that'd be right around 47° off to the east of Magnetic North.

This was something too amazing to sit on the sidelines for.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by XtraTL

Originally posted by ScorpioRising

Originally posted by XtraTL

This thread is totally debunked. I am amused that it is still continuing 50 to the dozen.

Edit: in response to me leaving the thread, I've decided to stay. It amuses me to see how long it will continue.
edit on 20-3-2011 by XtraTL because: See edit

Debunked? You have 'debunked' people saying that they have noticed anomolies with their compasses?! When the OP was simply looking for some kind of explanation?

That's a distortion. The OP originally said that his compass was pointing due east and that it was an old compass he found "this morning" in an old junk box. That's a difference of 90 degrees.

Later in the thread he says its 30 degrees off magnetic north and 40 degrees off true north (which is impossible in his location) and that it's a compass he last used 3 weeks ago.

Moreover, on his map he shows the difference with magnetic north being more like 50-55 degrees.

It's debunked because information posted by the OP has been shown to be contradictory. After asking for clarification multiple times, he has not responded.

On the other people who have posted, its debunked because at least one has retracted and multiple others are comparing their compasses with where they think they remember someone once saying north should be rather than data from an actual map which shows where north really is.

edit on 20-3-2011 by XtraTL because: comma

Right, so what about the people fully able to read the data and yet STILL finding anomolies. The thread is not just the OP, the thread is all the people in it. So to say you debunked the WHOLE thread is a bold statement.
OK you have issues with the OP's differing posts and you raised them, a few people have admitted they made a mistake. Why then start getting smug with everyone else?
No need for immaturity here. You said you were going to just watch this and yet you jumped straight back in, again! If you feel everyone is too stupid then just accept you will never be understood and leave?

I'm all for offering educational information but you seem do it in a way that just gets peoples backs up (I'm good at that in real life btw, wrong tone etc). Maybe structure what you're trying to say a little better.
It would be a shame to end up seeing intelligent people being ignored just because they didn't put their point across very well.

Peace.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by SutekTheMad

Whew thanks, thought I was in the wrong here, but you're right obviously, every government reporting site that shows nothing wrong or governmental aviation administration that would SCREAM to every pilot about to take off on a journey is just hiding the true facts about this whole pointless thread/endeavor, or.... you don't know how to read a compass......Thanks for clarifying.

Isn't funny all these posters who are "measuring" their "offness" in their readings have almost to the one readings of twice what their magnetic declination is......or maybe they don;t understand how to interpret magnetic declination....

Have fun folks, those still posting in this thread are obviously not worth debating the truth with. Must be that I'm a government spy trying to disseminate dis-information, or fools don't know how to use a compass. You decide.

edit on 21-3-2011 by Liberterius because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Liberterius: Seriously??????? Are you going to immediately jump on EVERYBODY that comes in here with an "off" reading??? If you don't agree with what people are saying and think they are crazy, stupid, don't know how to read their compass, compass is broken, then go to another thread PLEASE!!!! You have told us numerous times what you think about this thread and us. Seriously if you think we are off our rockers then leave us to our imaginary Candlyland world and you go play in the Chutes and Ladder thread or something.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Here is a less than compilcated compass 101 please read carefully!!!!!

By no means is this directed at any one person or poster...

www.compassdude.com...

Pay special attention to "To Read Your Compass" right under "Basic Compass Reading" thats where they are finding true north!

Many new comers do not realize how many pilots posted and left this thread, over a lack of basic research..
and lack of using posted info... to try to remedy the issue.

ther is another compass reader posted here in this thread...that also works well .. www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 21-3-2011 by Doc Holiday because: (no reason given)

In short if you do not know where true north is.."which is what you align your compass base" to get a reading, your readings will not be correct...

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by watchdog

I apologize, I thought this website was about denying ignorance and mis-information, while you obviously wish to spread it and silence anyone who doesn't agree with your own skewed interpretations of reality. I do not apologize for pointing out obvious and measurable ignorance. I will always move forward with hope that the uneducated masses should not be in charge of anything other than themselves, and in no way are articulate or intelligent enough to make decisions for those of us whose eyes are not closed to the truth. By all means carry on though. People such as these are moving us back towards the 3rd century.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
and none of your are lying abput it facing east honestly?
2nd

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Hey, I qualified my NOAA stats with a *should* because I'm leery. I also took the readings in open spaces adjacent to known north/south roads. The needles were very definitely pointed in a NNE/NE direction.

I've always accounted for 13 or so degrees west declination for this area. Don't doubt my skills - compass reading was one of the things I learned from the Boy Scouts before I was drummed out for insubordination.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
To the poster who said the earthquake in Japan was caused by the Large Hadron Collider achieving stable beams on 13th March. Well, that rules out the LHC being the cause. The earthquake happened on the 11th.

To the person who asked me for evidence that sensitive magnetometers in Norway, Denmark, Sweden, US, Pacific, South America all show no appreciable deviation in the earth's magnetic field. I did in fact post links to websites which provide this information. I'm not posting the information again. Besides, you can use google.

As for everybody else who thinks their "compass in the end of their torch" is going to be accurate to within 20 degrees and the people measuring north with respect to some tree, or their house, or the sun, or the moon, or whatever. Go and get a decent compass, practice sighting landmarks on a map more accurately and practice taking more careful measurements and you'll eventually find where the problem is.

For those of you who have carefully checked with multiple compasses and get the same reading on all of them in multiple locations, suspect your grid north. Check your map and very carefully sight between known landmarks on a map.

For those of you who know how to identify grid north, have taken multiple careful measurements with your compass, no matter what the brand name on the compass and how much you paid for it, suspect your compass. The fact that it gives the same reading in multiple locations is not an evidence that your compass works, no matter if it used to work or not.

When someone can do all of the following, please private message me, as I'm not going to continue bashing my head against a brick wall in this thread:

* Check your compass is accurate. If it doesn't have a marking on it to state its tolerance it is not accurate. If it does have such a marking, check you have had it stored in a location away from any potential sources of magnetic interference and that you are following the instructions as written in the instruction manual for the compass (you still have that right?) Finally, check that your compass is accurate by checking it agrees *precisely* with at least two other known working compasses.

* Check you can provide a location which can be found on google maps at which you can demonstrate that you can identify grid north. Remember to use the mirror sight on your compass. If it doesn't have one, it is not accurate (if you believe it is accurate anyway, be prepared to defend in detail why you think that is the case).

* Check you have correctly understood and adjusted for local declination, paying particular attention to whether declination is EAST or WEST in your location.

* Check your readings in multiple distant locations away from all potential sources of metallic, electric and magnetic interference (for this you have to go *outside your house* to multiple locations around town).

The standard of basic science requires all these things, namely that you eliminate all sources of error in the equipment, the measurements, environment, and that you have done your computations correctly and accounted for all other potential mundane explanations of your anomalous results. Also check your results are repeatable.

How do I know this is the standard? I have a science degree and a PhD. I did lab work in my degree in Physics and Chemistry amongst other sciences, and used sensitive measuring equipment and over a period of years, I learned what is required to do careful and accurate scientific observation.

If someone can demonstrate, WITH EVIDENCE, that they have done all these things and still found a *significant* deviation from the expected result and there are no known documented magnetic anomalies in your area then that will be of great interest, and I would like to hear of the details by private message.

I am no longer interested in this thread and officially give up on it. At first I thought something interesting might be going on. But every single sensitive magnetometer in the world which measures declination continuously day in, day out which I have checked is not showing this anomaly. After I (and many others) have persisted ad infinitum asking for basic information such as the above it has not been forthcoming (some people began to provide such information and maybe they are on their way to being able to satisfy the above).

If anyone can satisfy the above requirements, I will be very interested. Please post the info in the thread for everyone else to see, and then alert me by private message. Otherwise, XtraTL signing off.

edit on 21-3-2011 by XtraTL because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-3-2011 by XtraTL because: More careful wording

top topics

<< 48  49  50    52  53  54 >>

join