It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Birds and the Bees

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   

The Birds and the Bees

www.the-scientist.com

A recent book exposes what Darwin got wrong about sexual behavior in birds, and what his error tells us about the evolution of scientific knowledge.

...In Victorian England it simply wasn’t appropriate for a well-respected gentleman scientist to draw attention to the existence of female promiscuity, let alone to justify it in biological terms.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Despite centuries of "scientific" dogma stating that female birds are not promiscuous, the truth is finally coming out.

Confirmation of widespread female (and male) promiscuity among otherwise socially monogamous birds came from detailed behavioral observations and, beginning in the mid-1980s, parentage studies using the new, extremely powerful method of DNA fingerprinting.

The results are startling. Almost every bird species previously assumed to be faithful exhibits some degree of infidelity. Certainly, there are a few truly monogamous birds, such as the mute swan, but in most species some females have some of their eggs fertilized by males other than their partner. In species like the European reed bunting, despite the maintenance of a monogamous pair bond, more than 75 percent of all eggs are fertilized by other males’ sperm.

Still, science can't explain why the females like to get around.

The benefit of promiscuity for males is clear—more offspring. But what do females gain from being unfaithful? Despite 25 years of research, and paternity studies of some 150 species, we still do not know the answer. It may be that just as with the shift in evolutionary thinking in the early 1970s, another paradigm shift in our thinking is required to answer this question.

Uh huh. A paradigm shift might do it.

Fact is, "female monogamy" is an invention. It's promiscuity that's "natural." The "women are monogamous" fiction is a conspiracy - a scientific and biological fabrication designed to try and keep women in line.

Didn't work.

www.the-scientist.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 18/3/11 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

I'm not a complete supporter of Darwinism. Too many ifs and buts for my taste.
Having said that, it does give a good starting point. Also can anyone name any 100% fool proof Theory?

Some birds bread as a couple for life and others don't.
Obviously this proves that we don't know all there is too yet.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I'm a male and I believe in monogamy... Now what?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Some birds bread as a couple for life and others don't.

A few are monogamous - MOST are not.

Obviously this proves that we don't know all there is too yet.

I'd say it proves that misinformation is misrepresented as scientific "fact" to serve political and economic purpose.

Read the article - it states clearly that even Darwin knew his female pigeons (at least) were promiscuous. In fact, scientists have observed female promiscuity in birds pretty much forever - but they insisted that the behavior was "anomalous," if they reported it at all. ...Like I said, habitually misrepresenting misinformation as scientific "fact" to serve political and economic purpose, aka a conspiracy.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Hey you left out this part of my reply...

Also can anyone name any 100% fool proof Theory?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by xxshadowfaxx

You don't get to play.

This thread is about observable behavior and misrepresentations of "biology" as scientific "fact" for the purpose of manipulating women politically and economically.

...Well, maybe you could play if you disclose that you have been personally manipulated into supporting the current economic and political paradigm.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Hey you left out this part of my reply...

Also can anyone name any 100% fool proof Theory?

Sorry, I just didn't get that you were a Theory.

...My point was that Darwin lied on purpose - he knew female birds were promiscuous but it was not politic to make the observation. ...and the lie was perpetuated as "scientific fact" for hundreds of years by a string of "scientists" who also knew the truth.

Is nothing sacred?!?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
What is this monogamy thing?

Sounds kinky to me.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
But if GOD created the birds, wouldn't he have made them monogamous? He would have wanted pairing for life in all his creation, wouldn't he?
I'm seriously not trying to support either the evolution nor the creationist viewpoint (not to single them out as the only two theories), however I just can't see monogamy in the animal kingdom neither supporting nor obstructing either point.
But generally all creatures do what they do because it is advantageous to the individual at the time that they do it. Maybe not in the long run, but what other animals, besides man (supposedly) plan far ahead into the future.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by lastrebel

It's only kinky if you're wearing a chastity belt.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
reply to post by xxshadowfaxx

You don't get to play.

This thread is about observable behavior and misrepresentations of "biology" as scientific "fact" for the purpose of manipulating women politically and economically.

...Well, maybe you could play if you disclose that you have been personally manipulated into supporting the current economic and political paradigm.

I would have to agree. The Victorian ideal for women was clearly at play in Darwins suppositions. However I don't think that it was as much to manipulate as was the social/religious blindness that we, as animals are prone to the same "activities" as they. ????
edit on 103131p://03America/Chicago18 by Tinman67 because: additional thought

edit on 103131p://03America/Chicago18 by Tinman67 because: what was said about animal masturbation??

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
And what it took them this long to figure this out about birds. Talk about being a little on the slow side, there are some good reasons that they keep the actual history of the world and how things actually are, from the masses. Reality is what you think it is, as long as you don't probe to far into your assumptions or the facts that you were told are fact. Comfortable illusions are what everybody strives for, as can be seen by this simple fact that was suppressed and about birds of all things.

new topics

top topics

join