It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Surface Weight Influence Below Surface Dynamics?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Just a quick question , a few centurys ago the worlds Population was less than a billion or so , now it is approaching 7 billion souls.
Estimating the average weight of approx 7 billion souls is around 30kg per soul, then it is fair to say the Earths Surface is bearing 6 billion times 30kg more weight , due to Human population growth than say 2000 years ago?
Add to that figure billions more homes of say an average of 100 tonne per home , billions of more vehicles(cars, rickshaws, bicycless, buses, trucks,trains,ect weighing say an average of 1000kg per vehicle, and the raw materials deducted from the mass of the Earth to provide these weighty objects....do we not have a potential for a cataclystic overload of the Earths crust, in terms of weight?
If you place a wooden disk say 50cm in diameter in mud it will just sit there, have a 40kg child stand on it it will sink a little, place a 100kg plus adult on the wooden disk and the disk will sink noticeably more.
Perhaps Iam completley off the mark , but is ocean rising , because of increased weight on land mass?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Where do you suppose the weight of all those people came from? What are bones made of? What is flesh made of? Where does wood come from? Steel?

Not that the weight is really significant but it really has not been added. It's always been there.
edit on 3/18/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

nevermind
edit on 3/18/2011 by this_is_who_we_are because: nevermind

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Yes, you can't make matter, only alter it

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Going to have to concur with Phage. Every tree knocked down to build new house. every cow killed for food the weight is the same nothing here exists as far as weight that wasn't already here.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack
reply to post by Phage

Two humans approx 70kg in weight, do the magic dance, a child born ten yeras later weighs approx 35kg.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Expired

OK. I have reversed my position on the matter until someone discredits your argument. And I can not at the moment.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Expired

Originally posted by backinblack
reply to post by Phage

Two humans approx 70kg in weight, do the magic dance, a child born ten yeras later weighs approx 35kg.

Yes, and the woman must eat lots of food grown in the ground to sustain that fetus..
You've heard the term, "eating for two" ??

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

I don't understand the argument.
Well, I know where babies come from but...

edit on 3/18/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   
The mass of the Earth has not remained exactly constant over its life as it constantly picks up new matter through asteroids, meteorites and the solar winds as well as losing mass as it gradually drifts up into the upper atmosphere and floats away. Not really sure how the equations work out, but considering the mass of the Earth it would be minor.

Considering the common theory of how the Earth formed then it is expected that the Earth will continue growing as all new matter becomes trapped in the Earth's gravity. I have heard some reports that hydrogen and helium are the two main elements that are able to overcome the Earth's gravity and escape. I am not fully certain though.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   
The point of my perhaps naive argument is in 2011 more by far in weight is above the crust of Earth pressing down , and less is below supporting the added weight in comparison to say 2000 years ago.
Iam just curious if this may be ever so slightly sinking land mass.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

Aha. There's the opposite side of it. Now I'm back to "all the extra weight showed up in someone's dryer one sunny afternoon".

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
The question should be changed to; Does the apparition of 6 billion more humans, plus that of the herds needed for food, has contributed to make the crust thinner?

If matter doesn't vanish, it CAN change form AND place.

Seeing how the Earth behaves lately, you would be tempted to think the answer is yes...

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Expired

The average human being has a mass of approximately 60 kilograms.

which means that all the humans on earth have a mass of approximately 420,000,000,000 kilograms (420 billion)

The earth's land has a surface area of 148,940,000 km^2 (or 148,940,000,000,000 m^2) and is composed of silicate minerals.

the average density of Silicates is: 2.203 g/cm3 or 2,203 kg per cubic meter.

So, the mass of the first meter of crust of the earth's landmasses is approximately 148,940,000,000,000m^2 * 2,203kg = 328,114,820,000,000,000kg (328 quadrillion kilograms)

So, once again, that is:

420,000,000,000kg

VS

328,114,820,000,000,000kg

So... No... not very likely.
edit on 7-4-2011 by ErtaiNaGia because: (no reason given)

top topics

join