It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bloggers beware: You may be punk'd by the Pentagon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Bloggers beware: You may be punk

rt.com

That annoying teen with a strange political bent on your blog may in fact be an aging US army sergeant spewing American propaganda, while also impersonating a 13-year old girl on your buddies Twitter.

A new US military spy operation takes manipulation to a new level, using social media to tackle the online world. America’s new 'sock puppet' software allows the military to simultaneously create multiple fake online identities to spread a pro-American message.

(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 3/17/2011 by maria_stardust because: Edited title to match actual headline.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Be sure to read last paragraph of the article!

This story reminded me of an article I read about a Pentagon project called LifeLog. See this article for more info.

www.wired.com...

LifeLog instantly made me think of Facebook....which really came from nowhere to being this place that people literally put up their living diary. Sound familiar - LifeLog.

Pentagon supposedly killed this project - and my guess is because they took a vested interested in Facebook. No proof. Just an educated analysis.

rt.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 17-3-2011 by notapersonorcitizen because: needed to clarify which paragraph to read

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by notapersonorcitizen

It about time we caught up with the rest of the World in this area.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Seems there's nothing these bastards want stop at...Entrapment is bad enough...

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I've been thinking; I keep seeing this story about the establishment's cutting edge social networking infiltration software...

It has been reiterated by repetition in multiple media stories all over the place...

There is an oft-reported adage about conflict that says roughly, "When you are strong, feign weakness; when you are weak, project strength."

Could it be that we are being repeatedly subject to information portending that we can't trust the internet for the purposes of communicating generally in forums and blogs, thus marginally reducing the threat the internet might represents to the establishment (or some elements of the establishment, at any rate)?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

It certainly wouldn't stop many of us from posting on here or elsewhere. IMHO, the internet is just way too big to police completely. Surely it is buzz words or certain 'profiles' that catch the snopes attention.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
ya know...if this were taken a step farther, say creating bank/investment accounts, etc., markets could be manipulated up or down.

scary!

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
We are here. Yes I am speaking for myself and not the whole.

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US!

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
yeah we experienced this already on facebook, yahoo, and myspace, as well as alot of local news media forums and blogs... its getting pretty bad.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by gloomyblue707

You are absolutely correct. MySpace was on top of the social media world and then all of a sudden it was spam central with all sorts of other nonsense besides. LOTS of people abandoned and went to Facebook never to return.

Was that the agenda? Perhaps. Move people from uncontrolled environment, to the Facebook-LifeLog with complete access by the snopes.

And of course the troll snopes are on this forum. Just look at some of these responses already.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Guardian reporting this too

The interesting bit for me is this

He said none of the interventions would be in English, as it would be unlawful to "address US audiences" with such technology, and any English-language use of social media by Centcom was always clearly attributed. The languages in which the interventions are conducted include Arabic, Farsi, Urdu and Pasht

A case of thou'st who protest to much?

top topics

join