It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iodide alternatives-don't get scammed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   
I have seen and heard far too many people in the last couple of days speaking about going into vitamins stores to buy potassium iodide, only to find out that they are sold out.

What inevitably happens is they get turned to some sort of multi vitamin that contains small amount (mcg) of potassium iodide.

THIS IS NOT A SUFFICIENT DOSAGE TO COUNTERACT RADIATION.

This is not a thread to tell you what doses to take. That info is out there.

This is not a thread to tell you whether or not you should take any at all. That is up to you.

This is a thread to tell you, dont be an idiot and get ripped off by semi-smart retailers trying to cash in on the wave.

Do your research.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   
good info!
already seeing that sort of thing going on

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Red wine is cheaper.
Plus if you go out you'll do so giggling.
Stay clear of eastern Japan and you'll be fine.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
This is even cheaper, and far more readily available on short notice:

"While it is poisonous to ingest (drink/swallow) elemental iodine, like what's in tincture of iodine, or Povidone-iodine solutions (like the Betadine� brand solution), besides being largely ineffective for thyroid-blocking and very dangerous, perhaps even fatal to have a child drink any of them, they can be used topically, on the skin to great effect.

There has been some research with both humans and dogs into topically (on the skin) applied Povidone-Iodine (10%) solution (such as Betadine� or Povidex� solutions), and also with tincture of iodine, to test the absorption rates of iodine directly, and safely, through the skin.

According to research by Health Physicist Ken Miller, Hershey Medical Center, using 24 healthy adult male subjects, an adult could get a blocking dose of stable iodine by painting 8 ml of a 2 percent tincture of Iodine on the abdomen or forearm approximately 2 hours prior to I-131 contamination. The abstract of his study titled "Effectiveness of Skin Absorption of Tincture of I in Blocking Radioiodine from the Human Thyroid Gland" from Health Physics, June 1989, Vol. 56, No. 6, pages 911-914, states:

"Although there were large variations within each subject group in regard to serum-I levels and thyroid uptakes, the increase in serum-I concentration after topical-I application was effective in reducing the thyroid uptake of I131. The authors conclude that in the absence of KI, most humans would benefit from topical application of tincture of-I, and that in some the effectiveness would equal that of oral KI."

Source: www.cosmicgnostic.com...

So there is a short-notice plan "B" that's cheaper, and might hold you till you can the tablets. Personally, I'd paint about 12ml on me.

join