It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Steps that can help limit radiation exposure

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I was reading up on this, in light of recent events, and then thinking of what the average person (if in Japan) could do to limit their exposure. Here's what I came up with, feel free to add.

In order of importance:

1. DISTANCE - The further you are from the source of the radiation, the better. It's a simple truth, but this is the best way to be safe. Take a vacation, or trip, and get out. Or, at least go visit a relative in another part of the country.

2. WEAR A MASK - Breathing in particles is one of the main dangers and can lead to worse damage than external exposure. Even a simply mask, like those worn during the SARS outbreaks, etc., can help dramatically

3. WEAR HEAVY CLOTHING - This is by no means great protection, but it offers SOME level of protection..layer up!

4. GET BEHIND CONCRETE - Inch for inch, lead is better any day of the week, but it isn't exactly all over the place. Concrete on the other hand. If you can't get out, then the more concrete surrounding you, the better (or underground, etc.)

Granted, NONE of these steps should make you think you are fully protected. That isn't the purpose of the above. I'm simply illustrating ways to LIMIT the exposure, to hopefully a level that will do the least amount of damage. Feel free to add.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Good man! I would just like to add that if you think youve come into contact with radioactive fallout, find a safe and clean area and rub yourself down with soil (as the radiation absorbs into it), Then wash yourself with soap and clean hot water, especially in areas such as behind the ears etc

edit on 16/3/11 by TedHodgson because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
i came across this today..
www.ki4u.com...

just don´t have the ´knowhow´ wether to decide it´s legit or not..
how ironic

s&f

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

From all I've read, it seems these tablets are only effective in helping to prevent thyroid cancer from radiation poisoning...it doesn't protect other organs.

reply to post by Gazrok

Good point. Radiation isn't "contagious", but the dust and soot particles on you (and your clothing) can cause the damage to others (and continuously, YOU)... That is why cleaning it off is so important, and the sooner the better.

Any clothing you had on when exposed should be disposed of (to authorities, if something is in place, but if not, burial is another option, though may have environmental effects). Burning could cause the particles to spread from the ashes. The best solution (non-official) is likely to encase it in concrete and bury it deep. However, hopefully, some kind of official disposal facility could be located.

edit on 16-3-2011 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

potassium iodide capsules...protect you from both idodine and cesium by essentially flooding your body with the non-radioactive versions (cesium mimicks potassium as far as the body is concerned.) www.associatedcontent.com...

Cesium mimics potassium and collects in muscle in the body.
www.nirs.org...

Rosemary -Protection against Radiation Poisoning

Spain found that nothing fights radiation damage to micronuclei like a simple garden herb known as rosemary. They noted that ionizing radiation causes the massive generation of free radicals that induce cellular DNA damage.

www.naturalnews.com...

Common food compound protects lymphocytes against radiation

Caffeic acid pretreated lymphocytes positively modulated all radiation induced changes. This study is found in the 2008 Journal of Biochemical and Molecular Toxicology.

Food sources offering significant amounts of caffeic acid are apples, citrus fruits, and cruciferous vegetables.
www.naturalnews.com...

edit on 16-3-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

top topics

join