It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4x4s

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 03:17 AM
link   
I HATE it when 4x4s are bought by people who don't intend to use them for off roading.

Most of the time people in the UK just buy them for status symbols.

They use them for the school run. They clog up the road more than cars do - Ever see them try to turn in a small space?

Stop buying more polluting vehicles because they make you feel big or let you scare people in cars.

Drivers of those things who only use them for driving to the office etc... should have to pay loads more in tax

Is it the same in other countries?

PS - I don't have a problem when they are used mainly for off road driving. Just when they are used ONLY for on road driving.

Phew...I feel better now

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Lots of the SUVs I see around all seem to be 4x4, otherwise they're just minivans. I know out where I am many have them because of snow. Lots of rural areas and farms with unpaved gravel or dirt roads, so you're kinda "off roading" even if you don't intend to be. But I don't understand the people who get them who don't need that much room. They're not into sports which require hauling kayaks or bikes. They don't have families so don't need lots of cargo space for hauling kids and stuff around. They're just singles who seem to like having a big ol' honkin vehicle.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Actually, you can get a nice tax break for buying SUVs over 6000 lbs. That pretty much includes the H2 (10.5 miles per gallon on the highway:puke
the Navigator, the Suburban, etc.

It's a joke. You can write the whole thing off your taxes if you own your own business. Realtors "own their own business" so they all buy huge SUVs and write them off as a business expense.

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 04:35 PM
link   
yet they grind exceeding fine.

Console yourself in the knowledge that the 4x4 kit ads between 3k and 6k USD to the price.

Bask in the glory of knowing that if you don't actually use the 4x4 at least once every 2 or 3 months, it will eventually seize up, and you'll have to replace the whole thing, running about a 3rd of the retail price for a new one.

They are screwing themselves economically, and you'll see a lot less of them after 2006, when they start turning 7 years old or so. That seems to be the breaking point.

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 04:40 PM
link   
My advice to non off roaders is this. Take the sledge hammer and go out and whack one into one of the quarter panels. You do not have to make it in a really prominent portion. Go out and do this I will wait here

Ok now you do not have to be afraid of putting dings into your pretty truck!! You are now free to go out and get wild with it. REMEMBER TO FOUR WHEEL RESPONSIBLY THOUGH.

top topics

join