It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama wants felony charge for downloading copyrighted material on internet

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I've gone through these stages with Obama:

• Happy
  • Whatever...
  • This guy is useless.
  • WTF?
  • This guy is a JERK!
  • IMPEACH!!!!

edit on 17-3-2011 by harrytuttle because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by billxam

Wow, thanks for sharing. That's scary. I'm confused though - what exactly did they want $150k for? What did they say you were in violation of?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Cosma
This is just a cover up.
They dont care about the copy right laws.
Its all about the wire taps.
Its always about the wire taps
Im streaming right now, good movie by the way.

EDIT: I forgot to give you a star and flag, this is important news I feel.

edit on 16-3-2011 by Dr Cosma because: (no reason given)

Exactly.
Osama Bin Hitler isnt fooling anyone.
He's a worthless neoNazi puke who clearly will resort to any treachery imaginable.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Protected ideas lead to greater innovation and allows a wider base for people to participate.

WOW....really?
I guess youve not seen the size and popularity of sites like Wikipedia, then.
To the contrary..'protected' ideas are all about profits, control and complete lack of sharing thought processes.
When monetary gain becomes irrelevant, THEN minds are free to create and work together.
If Im too damned worried about 'stealing' your ideas and getting a felony charge, frankly Id snub you and leave the room.
edit on 17-3-2011 by americansforgunsdotcom because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by thepixelgarden

Awesome. Star for you.

Most people don't even know what they like unless they've had it crammed downtheir throat by the media.

Thanks for supporting the independents .

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by americansforgunsdotcom

Originally posted by Dr Cosma
This is just a cover up.
They dont care about the copy right laws.
Its all about the wire taps.
Its always about the wire taps
Im streaming right now, good movie by the way.

EDIT: I forgot to give you a star and flag, this is important news I feel.

edit on 16-3-2011 by Dr Cosma because: (no reason given)

Exactly.
Osama Bin Hitler isnt fooling anyone.
He's a worthless neoNazi puke who clearly will resort to any treachery imaginable.

43's granddaddy Prescott Bush was in bed with the Nazi's during WWII so to say Obama is a Nazi is false and a lie. Read my post in this thread as it is factual as this is nothing new.
edit on 18-3-2011 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
my question has been this: how does Netflix work, as far as the Studios making money? Do they get payed on a per-view basis taken from a percentage of the member's fee? I ask this because i've always wondered, if i'm paying for netflix, i have access to pretty much every film i want. Now say I download a film via torrent.....how exactly is it different from me streaming it/ renting it from netflix? Some say it's because i can keep it, but as long as i'm paying for Netflix, i can still also watch the film as many times as i want...

i dunno.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Onix Verumi
my question has been this: how does Netflix work, as far as the Studios making money? Do they get payed on a per-view basis taken from a percentage of the member's fee? I ask this because i've always wondered, if i'm paying for netflix, i have access to pretty much every film i want. Now say I download a film via torrent.....how exactly is it different from me streaming it/ renting it from netflix? Some say it's because i can keep it, but as long as i'm paying for Netflix, i can still also watch the film as many times as i want...

i dunno.

Services like Netflix and all movie/game by mail firms make money by serving as a go between between the manufactuer which is the studio and the consumer. The hardcopy they send on dvd's will be the one your put into your home player and not the digital copy one that allows you to upload it to a portable or a stationary system. They get the dvd's for like $25 each in most cases, get say 10,000 copies, cost would be $250,000 for the dvd's, charge $1 per rental and have it get rented say, 1,000,000 times, you've just quadrupled your initial investment. The copies they get are direct from the master tape reel to reels.

Torrents require in most cases no subscription fee and is typically free as the upside is the download is yours to keep forever, downside no physical hardcopy exists of it.
edit on 20-3-2011 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by TheImmaculateD1

It's possible I'm just not understanding what you're saying, but it looks like you're saying it's not possible to digitally manipulate the movie copy you get on DVD from Netflix, or make a hard copy of a movie download. Whatever you get on DVD from a rental-by-mail company can be copied to a computer hard drive, & from there can be uploaded, or a copy made to a blank DVD. Same goes for a downloaded movie. You just need the right software.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
What's messed up is that once people get enough clue to be expressing their opinions on this, the RIAA will go after them for infringing on a recent C-Lo Green song*. I'm sure many of you know what I'm talking about.

*Actual song not posted or linked, because (ironically) guys in charge here don't feel were adult enough to deal with it.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Like I said in another thread...

They're just making it easier to silence the witnesses whose goal is to broadcast the truth to others---as it happens.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I buy the music and movies that i really like. stop making crappy remake of a remake movies and maybe i will buy your movies. im not going to pay $20 for some crappy movie... Why don't people use sites like IPT,TL,SCL,etc? I stopped using TPB a while ago. How am I supposed to find new music if I can't listen to it beforehand? I'm not going to waste $10 on a cd that i don't even like. How is the artist losing $ if I wouldn't have bought it before listening to it anyway? If i dl a cd and like it enough i will buy it, but otherwise i just delete it afterwords. Does apple really think im going to spend $20K filling my ipod up with music? yeah okay

Torrents require in most cases no subscription fee and is typically free as the upside is the download is yours to keep forever, downside no physical hardcopy exists of it.

Have you never heard of burning movies? I used to have 100's of movies on dvd,that anyone could watch.
edit on 17-4-2011 by CoSMiC_ChAoS because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
i say its high time hollywood starts getting charged with felonies for every single stupid movie they make.

nothing but pure trash comes out of there.

hollywood should be paying us to watch that garbage.

i also say its high time we create an organization names something like citizen against stupid movies.

hollywood or hollylame as i like to call them cant come up with one original thought anymore its like they have ripped off and regurjitated every movie that has ever been made.

you want my dollars come up with a good movie if not dont expect me to pay.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Thankfully the RIAA can only have you charged if they can prove that they own the copyright to the content.

Since I've stopped downloading stupid mainstream music and movies, the only people who can come after me are those from Europe or Asia.

But again, thankfully, it's legal to download for personal use in my country. It's just illegal to share copyrighted content. So no problem.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by TheImmaculateD1

First, thanks for the information, and sorry for such a late response, haha.

When mean streaming, people can literally pay 8 bucks a month for nothing but streaming, so they never get physical dvd's, they just stream the movie on whatever device they have (PC/PS3/etc.) So i was wondering how that works exactly.... i can stream a film a million times, and that wont make the studio any money.....it makes Netflix money because i pay them 8 bucks a month. So if i did have Netflix, and i torrent a film they have on their instant cue, is there necessarily any difference?

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
You are paying Netflix.. without a doubt they have a deal to pay the studios a percentage.

I have a second hand laptop and download torrents only when on a unsecured local network. I don't think I have anything to worry about

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImmortalIntegrity
reply to post by ownbestenemy

I agree with you, thieves should be held accountable.

But a felony? Come on. That's grand theft auto for stealing a skateboard.

Thievery is taking something without asking. Copyright infringement is copying down someone's symbols without asking. So, stealing a skateboard is worse than downloading a copy of a popular song.

As far as I'm concerned I've never seen the case proven for intellectual property rights. Where are the numbers that prove its effectiveness. Before we *hurt* people for non-violent "crimes" maybe we should actually have to prove there is harm being done!

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
felony charge? wtf is wrong with people making the laws...it's almost as if they WANT all the non-violent offenders put in the same bin with all the violent offenders and sicko's

edit on 12-6-2011 by here4awhile because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

From a copyright owner, music and books:

You write a melody line on notes with the words above that, and above that, you write the diferent chords. That..and in that exact order...gets copyrighted to say it was you only who put them, the notes, chords and words..in that order...together for the 1st time as its creator.

Books and articles...pretty much the same...word for word, start to finish...you were the creator and only you created it.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join