It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama wants felony charge for downloading copyrighted material on internet

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

Would you really want someone to receive a felony conviction and go to prison for 20 years for "stealing" one of your ideas?

Copyright is the old paradigm. Of course folks should be compensated for what they produce, but you cannot have complete internet freedom and stringent copyright laws on the same platform; they are diametrically opposed.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by IIIiIIIIIIiIII
We can all place some of the blame on Lars Urlich for making such a public fuss about this a few years back.

I always knew there was a reaon I never liked Metallica.

Now, bring on Slayer!

I refuse to listen to metalica anymore. Talk about sell-outs.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Once again Obama tackles the real world issues that the people are really worried about
Dont worry about Saudi Arabia killing innocent protesters in Bahrain, dont worry about Libya and Gaddaffi killing thousands of people that only want freedom and democracy, dont worry about Japan and the current Nuclear crisis, get the guy downloading movies and music for free, get the scum and hang him high
What a dick Obama really is I think he is a waste of blood and oxygen

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I'm on both sides of the fence here.

I make music, and sell some of it. However, if somebody wants to "steal" my music and share it with others, I will consider that flattering, as well as good publicity. I have copyrighted my work to make sure that nobody tries to steal my work and pass it off as their own, not to have a legal basis for suing somebody that wants to share one of my songs.

I never had any music for sale before the advent of the internet, and could understand that the web has cut into the record industries profits for sure. I know, I know....they said that cassettes would do the same, but seriously, how much easier is it to copy and distribute mega quantities of music via mp3 and internet? This lack of sales of course trickles down to the artist. Wouldn't you like to make money for your hard work? I would, so I can understand their point of view.

I think the RIAA is out of control though. Suing people for outlandish sums of money for this is insane when the problem is so damn rampant everywhere you look. IMO the recording industry and the artists need to get with the times, and find a modern paradigm for music sales that works.

Going as far as to wiretap for the suspicion of theft of copyrighted material is insane also. Just another over reaching power that will be abused...........

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Many of you just don't realize how bad this is going to get. When people are able to download their memories, thoughts, and imaginations in the near future then those copyrights and intellectual reaches will spread towards your brain. The sharing of material downloaded from your gray matter will be regulated. People will be prosecuted for sharing of memories. It truly will be a draconian world, as people will be arrested, fined, or forced to "Subscribe" in order to access the data within their own minds.

We are quickly all turning into prisoners of our own making.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by dizzie56
reply to post by ldyserenity

Go to the pirate bay, download whatever you want and wait for the knock on the door. Im gonna stop downloading for a while just in case. Ive allready heard of other people getting hit with huge fines and I dont wanna take the chance. That and ive got pretty much everything i need, mostly older movies that were hard to find in the stores.

I was regarding the wiretapping. I wanted new and creative ways to use the "flagged" terms in a context that would make the wire tappers blush and got WTH?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I wonder sometimes, the way to any company is in it's value image. To get to the heart of the matter it's quite simple, drive down there Stock Price and they will have second thoughts as to what they are doing.

They are only as strong as there Stock Price is, what one needs to do is just create some uncertainty in there stock price and that will cause the short side of the market to get hold of the price and that will drive it down.

You can beat them at there own game, I know one person can't do it all but a hole group, is another story all together. You want free dome well, follow the money and make them pay for it in there stock price and you will see how fast they will change there song.

That's how it's done!

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsettica
I wonder sometimes, the way to any company is in it's value image. To get to the heart of the matter it's quite simple, drive down there Stock Price and they will have second thoughts as to what they are doing.

They are only as strong as there Stock Price is, what one needs to do is just create some uncertainty in there stock price and that will cause the short side of the market to get hold of the price and that will drive it down.

You can beat them at there own game, I know one person can't do it all but a hole group, is another story all together. You want free dome

Sorry to go off topic, but that spelling error just freaked me out, I am reading "Under The Dome" By Stephen King and that's one of the terms used...okay I am glad it's daylight here!!!!

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Have they actually changed the law yet or are they just saying they going to change it? Is it in effect yet?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by John_Rodger_Cornman

Have they actually changed the law yet or are they just saying they going to change it? Is it in effect yet?

I really have no clue I think it's just being kicked around though. I hope they do not pass any more open wiretapping laws, but they probably will, knowing this Gestapo.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by On the level
Once again Obama tackles the real world issues that the people are really worried about
Dont worry about Saudi Arabia killing innocent protesters in Bahrain, dont worry about Libya and Gaddaffi killing thousands of people that only want freedom and democracy, dont worry about Japan and the current Nuclear crisis, get the guy downloading movies and music for free, get the scum and hang him high
What a dick Obama really is I think he is a waste of blood and oxygen

I regret that I can only give you 1 star.
This is total insanity. Total inanity.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Got ya. Id prolly type out a couple of one liners for ya but im willin to bet 100 to 1 that after that shooting in Arizona the feds are definately watchin this forum and I really dont have the time to flagged by some dude in a suit over a joke on the net. Im sure you can be creative enough tho if you put your mind to it.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I should be able to download anything from another user if that user authorizes me to access information if that user gives it to me for free. Thats like letting a friend borrow a CD now if it's stolen material then were talking a different story. If its paid for material then we should be able to share it if the buyer wants to share it.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by John_Rodger_Cornman

Not yet.

But you do know that RAPISTS will get LESS TIME than this? Not to mention ARSONISTS.

Obama, like his handlers, want EVERYTHING to be a crime.

Watch one football match streaming on internet without paying? FELONY! Ain't that nice?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Obama is just the latest POTUS that the entire entertaiment industry being spearheaded by the likes of The Recording Industry Association of America and the Motion Picure Association of America so that they can shut down illegally available downloadable material which is now about to entre it's fourth decade.

Remember when Lars Ulrich of Metallica sued Napster? Well, that was in 2000 and guess who was POTUS? Clinton. This is not Obama. My house was amongst one of about 350,000 ip's that got banned from Napster.

If you own a hardcopy of the album in question you can legally download it from anywhere as the law states you cannot be double taxed, nor double charged for the same item or product twice, ie, you buy a cd new or used, no entity can make you pay taxes or for the product a second time.

Remember when blank cassette tapes and blank vhs tapes were manufactuered and marketed first in the mid 1980's? That is what started this entire mess. When blank cd's debuted around 2002 it caused more chaos, when blank dvd's were issued around 2003 more controversy, when the iPad and portable mp3 tech hit around 2005 it caused even more chaos so in reality this debate is nothing new and to blame the current POTUS for something that the entire entertainment industry has been pushing since the 1980's.

This is an expansion of something called The Digitial Millenium Copyright Act of 2000.
edit on 16-3-2011 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Hey, if they want to tyrannize their audience so much, fine - I won't be part of their audience anymore. As of about a month ago, I only listen to bands on labels that are not associated with the R.I.A.A.

That may sound extreme, but actually if you do some research, you'll find that there are TONS of independent bands out there, from every genre. I have over 100 albums from such bands - all paid for. Why paid for? Because I respect them and want to support them. Which is more than I can say for the R.I.A.A.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
It's already illegal to share copyrighted material via peer-to-peer methods, websites, Usenet, etc, whether you're distributing it by uploading, or receiving it by downloading. The article doesn't go too much into specifics, but I think by "streaming", they're referring to broadcasting audio, video, or both, over the Internet, as is done on sites like Justin.Tv.

Many of the broadcasters there stream movies, TV shows, & music after signing up to have their own channel. Some of the broadcasters download "their" content from pirate sites, peer-to-peer, or rip DVD's for material to broadcast. I don't spend much time there anymore, but at the time I was watching stuff, Justin was very slow to close an account due to copyright violation, & it appeared to be no major feat to open a new channel within the same 24hrs after the cancellation of the old one.

I wondered why no governmental outcry against this practice; now after seeing this, I think the unauthorized streaming of copyrighted material has been in a gray area of copyright law, as it involves new technology, for which specific legal wording must be added.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I yapped about this last night and will again tonight on my show. If you get a forwarded email - and who hasn't (I wish my mother never got on the internet) with all those stupid photos, jokes and videos you are in copyright violation. Somebody made that content and now you have it on your computer.

Big sis and brother are here and they don't like you. I did broadcast 24/7 live for two years. I had the cops and my local ordnance officer here in our home. They loved it. My ISP had not a problem with it. Got their permission. Not a problem. We had 10k viewers a day watching the thing. Earthcam rated it as one of the five best in the world.

Then I was threatened not by the local city or ISP, sent registered letters and got some great legal bills for my efforts. I was showing the animals in the forest behind my home and (gasp) interacted with Raccoons. Apparently, the "live internet video" threats are being bumped up another notch. I can tell you from personal experience that they are serious about this. Internet radio, video - they can and do threaten you. I had to close my YouTube account because of it. The authorities wanted $150k per video that I produced. My own content that I created and made. These idiots are serious as a heart attack about this.

Better sanitize those emails folks.

Edit: No I didn't use any copyrighted material that I didn't create.
edit on 17-3-2011 by billxam because: added content

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   

I cant but help but laugh...

Go O-Man....

I'll explain in two months.... I am all for it....

for now.....

Lets say they missed a huge page..... a huge one.....

lol...

I am curious on what pretext the live video feeds where hit....

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

" Obama, like his handlers, want EVERYTHING to be a crime. "

Even Thought Crimes ? Dear Me !

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join