It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Group seeks forest restoration to cleanse planet"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Something to attempt to ease nervousness about Japan situation. God bless them all and I wish them luck...

Company is cloning and re-planting forests of ancient trees. Link below:

COPEMISH, Mich. – Redwoods and sequoias towering majestically over California's northern coast. Oaks up to 1,000 years old nestled in a secluded corner of Ireland. The legendary cedars of Lebanon. They are among the most iconic trees on Earth, remnants of once-vast populations decimated by logging, development, pollution and disease. A nonprofit organization called Archangel Ancient Tree Archive is rushing to collect their genetic material and replant clones in an audacious plan to restore the world's ancient forests and put them to work cleansing the environment and absorbing carbon dioxide, the greenhouse gas largely responsible for global warming.

Yahoo ancient tree forest restoration news link !!!

I can definitely feel good about this idea and would really like to get involved on a personal level. If I had millions in the bank, I'd surely really invest in this idea. Really like the idea of planting more green on earth, especially ancient ones. Although, as clones, how similar are they to nature made ones? Will they get the job done as well? Thought inspiring and interesting nonetheless... hope you all like!! Why don't you get one or two in your backyard or local school or park?

Edit: Sorry if put in wrong area or if already posted. I did perform a search.
edit on 11/19/2009 by RadiatorOfTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Im no botanist, but I believe cloning a tree or plant is still a natural process. Now if they were genetically engineered trees, then... wait a second ... what benefits would a genetically altered tree have for the planet? that is a good topic of speculation. Too bad I cant stand reading speculation. O well, sorry earth.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Hope they dont forget the wollemi pine

Wollemia is a genus of coniferous tree in the family Araucariaceae. Wollemia was only known through fossil records until the Australian species Wollemia nobilis was discovered in 1994 in a remote series of narrow, steep-sided sandstone gorges near Lithgow in temperate rainforest wilderness area of the Wollemi National Park in New South Wales, 150 kilometres north-west of Sydney.

In both botanical and popular literature the tree has been almost universally dubbed the Wollemi Pine, although it is not a true pine (genus Pinus) nor a member of the pine family (Pinaceae), but rather is related to Agathis and Araucaria in the family Araucariaceae. The oldest fossil of the Wollemi tree has been dated to 200 million years ago.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Very interesting... from what I've read it does seem they're going for the more "popular" ancient trees although they should work into flat out doing ALL the trees as they can all easily become extinct just as easily as next... thanks for thread contributions

new topics

top topics

join