It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Understanding Our Relationship to the Earth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
This is a very good and interesting read.

Understanding Our Relationship to the Earth

As we all know by now, the Earth has shifted once again. Just the slightest change from deep beneath the waters, a crack in the fabric of her lining, and islands quake while tsunami waves rush across shorelines. We awake believing the world – our world – is stable, only to learn again and again that this Earth is as much a living, breathing, moving, active instrument of life as we are.
We are now living at a time when all cycles and systems of life are out of balance, including our system of perception itself. We do not "perceive" life clearly at all and thus, we as a society make choices that are based on endless illusions. And illusions lead to disasters. There was a time not so long ago, for example, when human beings walked more humbly on the Earth and under the Sun, the Moon, and the stars. Before the "Age of Reason,” a person walked into a forest filled with the awareness that the forest was as aware of him as he was of it. He shared the ground with the forest and all the creatures who lived there. They were not his for the taking, for the slaughtering, for dominating.

I suggest reading it in its entirety so it all makes sense. Hope you enjoy.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
amazing post, this really touches home base. thanks for sharing!

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
What I would not give to go back to the time, when humanity did not dominate and destroy everything in its path. We have become a virus on this planet and Mother Earth is doing its best to rid itself of sickness. Our human species needs to TAKE SELF accountability for the actions it is producing on this planet.

No god is going to save them that is why self accountability for personal actions is the only choice left. WE are interconnected with the universe and We or Our species is off balance. Think of what happened to the dinosaurs? All they did was feed , feed and feed with no contribution. Much like a virus..!! Killing everything in the process of self gratification.When a species starts to destroy everything, retribution will be served for the next thing that happens is there is nothing left for the virus to eat or destroy, thus turning on itself....

I really believe it is to late to turn around, we must accept what ever Mother Earth and our Sun gives us. Its time to be held accountable for our collective contribution of destruction. I am saddened we as a species, has come to this, but no one changes their ways, or for the ones that have and are trying are usually attached to false dogmas of religion that even separates our species more. The only chance we have on a individual level is as Gandhi quotes "Be the change you want to see in the world"

Our species needs to learn to Live for the planet and it's ecological system for we are One with It- verses just living for personal quick fixes and self-gratification.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Thank you for posting this. It really resonates with me.
When our bodies are out of balance, they react.
When Earth is out of balance, the same.
Continued abuse is not tolerated by either.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Thank you for this. It puts in perspective every natural disaster. I watched clips of the tsunami and was horrified as everything was being swept away, and it really made me realize, no matter how big we build our cities, no matter how dominant we establish ourselves on the Earth, the Earth beats us everytime. When we get smug enough to assume we are somehow more powerful than Nature, we get hurt. Building nuclear power plants in and of itself is a presumption that the planet likely dislikes, and all of our littering, CO2, etc, everything is just a parasitic hindrance to this planet, and she will make sure we're gone once we really start hurting her. It begs the question, is Mother Nature finally getting rid of us?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacekc929
It begs the question, is Mother Nature finally getting rid of us?

It wouldn't be the first time... But if we lived more in harmony with her, I suspect we would have a more compatible relationship and it would probably last longer... Since we have treated the Earth as we have, I don't think we will be around for long.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Thank you for this thread. I wish I could write like that. I got a feeling of OK when I read it.
Right now we all feel scared. We don't know who to believe. We don't know whats gonna happen tomorrow.

Personally I'm crying my eyes out right now. I'm scared. Of what I don;t really know. I guess its the unknown. Then I tell myself everything will be o.k. Just let go let God.
I'm a Religious Education Teacher in a Catholic school. I have to stay strong, and as educated as I can be about the things going on in the world. I'm trying to do all that and stay calm, and believe that whatever happens we can overcome and rise to be the best we can. To walk with God and know he is with us.
I'm reminded of the poem "Footsteps" We must remember we are not alone as long as we do our best and follow the commandments that he gave us.

And I think we will be around for a long time. Things may be different, but we'll be o.k.
Sorry, I don't want to turn this into a novel.

Good Thread!

edit on 15-3-2011 by crappiekat because: add

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Great topic.. S&F

I am totally speechless when the truth is spoken!

Thank you.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I dunno.............
Her comments seem to suggest that no-one today has any relationship or understanding of nature and that only people from before the Age of Reason had any clue about it.
Nature is just as accessible to us as it has been to any generation, it's simply a matter of being out in nature and participating in life without all the technology that has seemingly become part and parcel of modern humans.

It would appear that the pace as well as the intensity of long-predicted earth activity and climate change is accelerating.

"Climate change" is accelerating, Really? Hasn't the Earth been under continual climatic change? To mention it is to imply that somehow we have a hand in it, otherwise it would just be "business as usual" for the planet. To make a distinction of acceleration also implies some system of measurements which we should suppose comes from the very science she feigns to disparage.

We are now living at a time when all cycles and systems of life are out of balance, including our system of perception itself

Again, this is based on what? Statistical science? Climate science? How do we presume to know what natural cycles are in or out of balance? I am inclined to agree with the last comment, our systems of perception (which would include science) are probably not of a character coherent enough to understand and define cycles within nature.
The catastrophes of Japan and New Zealand have shown the terrible power of nature to us all. I agree, we should pray in addition to actually doing. Everything we do has an effect on the planet in ways which we may never be able to understand. Lack of understanding should not however prevent us from doing that which we feel led to do. Those basic impulses of compassion and care are a natural part of humans that thinking can be made to cripple. Disasters of this magnitude allow us to toss logic aside and indulge ourselves emotionally - we can all be free to shed a tear in public without fear of ridicule, something normally frowned upon in Western culture.

I suspect that the way to understand Mother Nature is best found through the study of the Tao

Study the Tao? Studying nature would be more valuable IMO. No contrivance of man will ever bring us closer to nature than to physically immerse ourselves in it and utilize our senses to the fullest. The true balancing act for us humans is to counterbalance our logical side with the much underused intuitive and creative side. Both are imperative for a real understanding of mankind and our relationship with nature.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Yes I agree, climate change has been happening for ever. We must learn how to live within her means. And treat her like she is the Queen. In other words "Roll with the flow" I really don't believe we can change the climate to the point that life will end. I think that we change things abit. But our earth "Our Mother Nature" will make her own discissions and do what is best for her. Not caring about one species. Just doing her own thing. We must learn to how to live within her boundries, which let us exist.

God I miss my dogs so much. Don't get me wrong I love my husband and kids, my dogs always made me feel safe when Mother Earth was acting up. My baby Stormy was always on alert, and I always knew if he was nervious, I had something to look into. He was my protector. It was usually a skunk or a Cyotoe, but he was doing his best to keep his family safe.

I have to admit Im very sad and scared tonite, so excuse me if my spelling is off. My whole self is off tonite.Im very sad.
edit on 15-3-2011 by crappiekat because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
The earth consists of 70% water.

Humans are comprised of 70% water.

Trees and Plants take in our expired CO2 and
produce the oxygen we breathe in.
Some also produce food for us to eat.

We ain't very smart when it comes to the basics of life on earth.

Not many other animals on the planet s*%t in their own nest.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals

I agree that climate changes have been happening without the need for the earth to balance. I think there is room for both happening.

I guess I look at earth in terms of the body. Our bodies age and change as a natural part of our life. Add in things that the body was initially not designed to digest and it starts to balance itself out with tumors, high blood pressure, etc, etc.

I thought you had many good points.

edit on 16/3/2011 by TravellingFool because: took out italics

top topics

join