It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

strange thing's neighbor does

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I needed run this by you guy's. Why in this day and age is my neighbor raising and selling carrier pigeon's? Could this be a new way for terrorist's to communicate? I was thinking about reporting it but to who?
It just seem's very strange to me and on top of the all the traffic there. Awaiting your input on what I should do.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I think it may just be a hobby perhaps? Does this guy do anything else that you feel might be strange? If not...I think it may be harmless.

Where I live there is a particular street light on a busy thoroughfare that is loaded with them and many people wondered why. It is because they have a home close by and they "hang out" there on that street light.

But in this day and age you can't be too careful.If you are ill at ease...keep an eye on him.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 10:00 PM
link   
You're ridiculous...
How do you know they're "carrier pigeons?" Are you absolutely positive that they carry messages? Because there is a breed of pigeon that are identical to doves, and they are very popular for weddings, church services, and other events.

So leave this guy alone unless you're sure he's up to no good.

]

[edit on 21-7-2004 by Xephyr]

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Maybe hes trying to teach himself an alternative method of communication for his future knowing that the possibility of war could wreak havoc in the world? I wouldnt doubt he knows alot of things we may not. I cant honestly say I have ever seen anyone in this day and age raise and train carrier pigeons, anyone besides the obvious poster see anything like that?

[edit on 7/20/2004 by DYepes]

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 10:05 PM
link   
It depends where you are. It's still a common pastime in Europe, certainly in the north of England. There's two or three pigeon fanciers (the proper name for them) within half a mile or so of me. You often see them circling round over head. (the pigeons, not the fanciers!)

EDIT : if he's your neighbour, I'd just lean over the fence and ask him sometime. Most fanciers love to show off their birds!

[edit on 20-7-2004 by muppet]

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Well the only way I could be sure would be if I had a translator of some sort. It is not even legal for them to be raising these i the city I live in.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I live in a suburb of detroit if that help's. The mess that they make is also annoying.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Where are you? In NYC, people keep pigeons and have a 'war' with other pigeon keepers. I forget the name of it, but people launch thier flocks, they mingle with another flock, and whose ever returns home wins, along with other pigeons you 'captured'. Meaning, the other guys pigeons got lost and confused and returned with your flock. Let me try to find a link....

A UK SITE

A US SITE

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 10:14 PM
link   
So WHAT the heck is wrong with raising carrier pigeons? What is the big deal? Are we so paranoid that we have to believe everything that everyone does that we think is a little strange is criminal or not above board? Unless the guy gives him some other reason to be suspicious then I say leave him alone. I would hate to trhink that every little thing I did was being measured for normality by my neighbors.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 10:18 PM
link   
these are 99.9% most likely RACING pigeons. the owner takes them to a specified spot, along with other racers, and releases their pigeons. the first ones to make it back home are the winners. youre paranoid, and youre also a bit too nosey for my liking really, especially because youre calling the man a terrorist over raising pigeons. leave the poor man alone!

[edit on 20-7-2004 by forsakenwayfarer]

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 10:22 PM
link   
They're probably Homing Pigeons not Carrier Pigeons. Same beast different
training...

faculty.millikin.edu...

But on the other hand...LOL

www.interbug.com...

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Although there is probably nothing sinister going on here...don't jump on the guy for keeping his eyes open and thinking. It really is something we all should be doing don't ya think? It's not like he went off the deep end or something. He posted here first, in an effort to get others opinions....give the guy a break!

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I think the guy has gotten a break and I don't think he has been jumped on. I completely understand his concern...but there is a line between being concerned over something strange and different and then being a little paranoid over something that really doesn't deserve the attention.

I think the concensus is to keep his eyes open but let the neighbor live his life.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 10:29 PM
link   
maybe they are police spotting birds? my friend said that some drug dealers had pigeons trained to drop out the sky when they saw a police car. total BS???

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I have never once called him a terrorist's so don't put word's in my mouth. I have also said that it is illegal to do in the city I live in and that they also make a mess. sometime's I wish this site was like it was in the beginning small and a tight community.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by cherokee
I needed run this by you guy's. Why in this day and age is my neighbor raising and selling carrier pigeon's? Could this be a new way for terrorist's to communicate? (SO this isnt implying hes a terrorist and/or terrorist sympathizer? because if it isnt i dont know what is!) I was thinking about reporting it but to who?
It just seem's very strange to me and on top of the all the traffic there. Awaiting your input on what I should do.

you sir, are teh fail. also, the man may have the nessescary permits to raise his birds, dont jump to conclusions. if youre that concerned, sue. everyone else is.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Some people are just excentric, weird, to put it bluntly.
Does he mow his lawn at night?
Do you always see him at home (never at work, not even sure if he has a job) but he seems to have a brand new Mercadies SUV in the drive way.
Is his house covered in dozens of Satillite dishes and comunication antenas?
when I was younger, 10 or so years ago, there was a man in my city who raised wild turkeys. He had a bunch of them in his back yard, as time went on they got loose, the police killed them.

I'd rather have a neighbour who likes birds then one who polishes his automatic assult rifle on the front porch.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 11:57 PM
link   
who the hell would care if they were carrier pigeons or not?

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 12:19 AM
link   
its a hobby. they actually like get together and keep track of how far they can travel back home and have competitions and such....

when i was a kid i burned ants with a magnifying lense

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by spangbr
when i was a kid i burned ants with a magnifying lense

Terrorist!

top topics

join