It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan: Explosion at Reactor No. 4

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Justaposter
reply to post by Eurisko2012

Eurisko, sadly no one could have predicted a 9.0 earthquake and a tsunami 10 minutes after.

I had to respond to this. Are you being serious because obviously many, many people predicted that Japan could have a large Earthquake and a tsunami. You don't even have to be a prophet - just a historian. Japan has had a lot of >8.0 earthquakes followed by tsunamis and thousands of deaths.

The earthquake history is actually more dangerous than the tsunami history with 143,000 people dying in the 1923 quake.
edit on 3/15/2011 by ararisq because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Eurisko2012
Great pic! Where are the back-up diesel generators located?

Washed out to sea I believe. They will have some answering to do after this settles down.

I think spacing the reactors further apart would also have helped.

Well as of last night there were explosions in 1,2,3 and 4 and one of their experts said they are having issues in #5 and #6 They repeat it every so often here
www.livestation.com...

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
First post. Hi! And a smile to say hello...
Ya have to smile.

I'm in Japan. Nowhere near the quake zone though, right down the bottom in Amami.

I've been here for nearly two decades now. I have been aware the S was going to HTF at this time - right on cue.

News here in Japan is a joke - a sick kind of joke of course. Unfortunately most people will tend to believe the reports issued on the regular media. I say it is unfortunate because I am quite sure the news is vastly understating the degree of seriousness of the nuclear aspect of the disaster.

It is I who provide info to those around me. I felt I had to. I was told a few hours ago that two reactors had blown and that three explosions had taken place and that the inner containment vessels were OK except one might be cracked. I listened rather incredulously and then proceeded to bring that person up to date on there being four reactors blown up and that the remaining two were dodgy. (I didn't know there was a seventh reactor).

I've even warned a few to get out of Tokyo and I explained it was the radiation risk which made it urgent. But I note that levels aren't too bad presently in the Tokyo area.

I don't know what to say really because so many people have voiced what I want to say already on various threads relating to the disaster here in Japan.

I'm on-edge because I just 'know' another big quake is going to strike - further south in Tokyo. And there are clear signs the Mt Fuji area is a bomb with a short fuse.

I keep thinking it's going to be this week. This week will see the final act in Japan's drama and the curtain will come down. All the signs are here for a reasonable person to expect the tectonic plates in and around Tokyo to shift violently.

Japan's media is lying about the known danger from the fallout, and it is lying by omission - specifically on reactor #3 by keeping quiet on the nature of its fuel.

What a b*lls-up! A nuclear accident turned into a disater and now it's more than likely a global catastrophe. I can't help feeling the wrong man was in charge of the emergency team for the nuclear plants. Surely anyone would cut through any red tape and call on the military to airlift in some generators, equipment and technicians. I'd say someone made a call to some government minister and then he contacted his boss and they had a meeting and by the time they'd made out a form and got it signed in triplicate with liability clauses amended suitably - the reactor had decided it wasn't going to wait any longer and blew up.

Another reactor went out of control because the pumps ran out of diesel fercrissakes!

Another reactor which was hobbling on had three generators and pumps to cool it - but two of them broke down ... The land of the rising sun? (sorry, I was dreaming for a moment back there) The land which makes and exports more generating equipment than probably any other couldn't manage to lift a reliable generator and a pump in time to a stricken reactor? Is this a joke? Japan ... the land of contradictions.

I'm getting carried away. Sorry.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
These poor souls...

[3:35 p.m. ET Tuesday, 4:35 a.m. Wednesday in Tokyo] Regarding the staffers of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant, who Kyodo News reported had to abandon the plant control room Tuesday night because of high radiation levels: "Their situation is not great," said David Brenner, director of the Center for Radiological Research at Columbia University. "It's pretty clear that they will be getting very high doses of radiation," Brenner said. "There's certainly the potential for lethal doses of radiation. They know it, and I think you have to call these people heroes."

Source

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by richaado

Originally posted by TheRedneck
I have been looking for a white plume of steam. That may not occur under this situation, since there was apparently little water surrounding the reactor core to begin with.

Well there is a white stream of steam but its from #3 Since the no fly zone was initiated we won't be getting any more pictures

A satellite photo of the Fukushima Daiichi plant showed the damage done to reactors 1 and 3, where there was an explosion on Monday

www.infiniteunknown.net...

Third Explosion Rocks Japanese Nuclear Plant
TheBostonChannel.com
13 hours ago
boston.rawsignal.com...

Okay so the workers are now abandoning the plant

America on radiation alert: Japan faces world's worst nuclear accident since Chernobyl as experts warn fallout may reach U.S.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Fears that America could be hit by the nuclear fallout from the Japan earthquake have dramatically increased as workers prepared to abandon a reactor crippled by the earthquake and tsunami last night in the face of what is set to become the world's second worst nuclear disaster - topped only by Chernobyl.

Damage at the number two reactor at the crippled Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power complex is worse than thought, the Japanese government admitted tonight, sparking fears for human health both in Japan and the U.S.

The Nuclear Regulatory Commission has admitted it is 'quite possible' the fallout could reach America.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Washed out to sea I believe. They will have some answering to do after this settles down.

Well as of last night there were explosions in 1,2,3 and 4 and one of their experts said they are having issues in #5 and #6 They repeat it every so often here
www.livestation.com...

I'm just so confused though.

Everything we hear in the media is contradictory. The people in charge of the utility aren't helping because, put simply, there is no transparency. Thus, the international community is in the dark as to how serious the situation really might be.

Obama said on the day of the earthquake that we were sending ships full of nuclear coolant to Japan. WTH happened to that idea?

All the reports about the generators were about how they simply didn't work because there was no power. The issue wasn't that they were lost or somehow missing because of the tsunmai.

Is that now the case? Are the generators simply gone/missing? WTH is going on?

Glenn Beck last night talked about how the nuclear reactor crisis wasn't really a big deal.. And then he proceeded to talk about how the situation could kill hundreds of thousands of people if the situation continues to worsen. Are you freaking kidding me? Glenn Beck is suddenly the expert on what's going on when he isn't even there?
People make me sick.

-ChriS
edit on 15-3-2011 by BlasteR because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlasteR

Originally posted by zorgon

www.livestation.com...

I'm just so confused though.

Everything we hear in the media is contradictory. The people in charge of the utility aren't helping because, put simply, there is no transparency. Thus, the international community is in the dark as to how serious the situation really might be.

Obama said on the day of the earthquake that we were sending ships full of nuclear coolant to Japan. WTH happened to that idea?

All the reports about the generators were about how they simply didn't work because there was no power. The issue wasn't that they were lost or somehow missing because of the tsunmai.

Is that now the case? Are the generators simply gone/missing? WTH is going on?

Glenn Beck last night talked about how the nuclear reactor crisis wasn't really a big deal.. And then he proceeded to talk about how the situation could kill hundreds of thousands of people if the situation continues to worsen. Are you freaking kidding me? Glenn Beck is suddenly the expert on what's going on when he isn't even there?
People make me sick.

-ChriS
edit on 15-3-2011 by BlasteR because: (no reason given)

1) Nuclear coolant to Japan.
Well, the coolant seems to be flowing out of a crack in the bottom of the reactor. The water
level is going down and exposing the fuel rods. Water then boils -- BOOM !!! --

2) Keep in mind this nuclear power plant operated safely for 40 years.

When the earthquake hit the reactors performed well and shut down.
After the shut down the back up generators kicked on just like they were suppose to.
OOPS! Here comes a 23' Tsunami Wave! This is the bad news.
Unfortunately, the engineers failed to place the back up diesel generators in a waterproof
building complete with waterproof hatches instead of regular doors.
The water rushed in and shorted out the electrical generators. - No Power for the cooling
pumps. - Temperature goes up - water boils - -- BOOM ! --
If you look at the great overhead view after reactor 3 blew up, you can see that the
engineers should have installed the back up diesel generators up on the hill right behind it.
The buildings up there are dry as a bone.

3. Glenn Beck got his information from an MIT guy with a major in mechanical engineering.
I thought he explained it very well. There is risk in ALL power generation.

edit on 16-3-2011 by Eurisko2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by ararisq

Originally posted by Justaposter
reply to post by Eurisko2012

Eurisko, sadly no one could have predicted a 9.0 earthquake and a tsunami 10 minutes after.

I had to respond to this. Are you being serious because obviously many, many people predicted that Japan could have a large Earthquake and a tsunami. You don't even have to be a prophet - just a historian. Japan has had a lot of >8.0 earthquakes followed by tsunamis and thousands of deaths.

The earthquake history is actually more dangerous than the tsunami history with 143,000 people dying in the 1923 quake.
edit on 3/15/2011 by ararisq because: (no reason given)

Yes, give me a break. If i were an engineer from General Electric standing on the shore of
Fukushima, i think i would have been engaged in a conversation about that HUGE fault line
just off the coast. Gee, that looks like it may cause a big earthquake and maybe a Tsunami
wave someday. Lets put the 3 back up generators in waterproof enclosures down here and
also put 3 more back up generators up there on that hill. They really don't cost that much.
During an emergency those back up diesel generators are worth their weight in gold.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join