It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan: Explosion at Reactor No. 4

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by xxPUSH0Noo

Sorry to say it has already happened...

Explosion of reactor 3: www.youtube.com...

Post-explosion fly-by of reactor 3: www.youtube.com...

They have yet to know the full extent of the problem over there... The Government are covering it up.

edit on 14-3-2011 by mirageofdeceit because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxPUSH0Noo
Please please puhhhleazee let there be no explosion in #3.

The problem with too many threads on this is that info gets lost and it is impossible to update them all

#3 explode yesterday

It has spent fuel on the upper floor and there is no more roof or cooling for the spent fuel. The white steam you see is coming from the spent fuel. #2 and #4 also have had explosions. Most of the techs have been evacuated

XL5

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I'm not going to make another thread for this but as of the time of this post a few rad sensors moved from around NY and 1-2 seemed to move to Denver, closer to where there would be more radiation if/when it gets that far. If the more populated areas don't have the sensors, people may not panic.

www.radiationnetwork.com...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Best live feed right now is here
www.livestation.com...

They repeat the details every so often

Potassium Iodide Runs Low as Americans Seek It Out
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Temperature is dropping, snow expected overnight... just gets worse
edit on 14-3-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
got this link from Vitchilo's thread -"Tokyo radiation levels 23 times normal : officials"

www.marketwatch.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

just to add, for what it's worth - a brit consultant on bbc radio within the hour, tried to stress the DIFFERENCE between "normal levels" & "safe, legal levels"

although, it's doubtful that's gonna be fully taken onboard & understood by most of us
edit on 15/3/11 by pattonisit because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
deleted - double post
edit on 15/3/11 by pattonisit because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by pattonisit

Cooperated efforts are extremely difficult when the utility is saying one thing and the Japanese Government is saying something else.

First they say noone was injured, then Fox News said on TV that multiple workers were injured and noone knew how many.

Now, the experts say that there is a dire risk of meltdown yet there are reports of reactors being on fire and video of them blowing up to the point that debris is being lofted hundreds of feet skyward.

Then they said they weren't going to expand the 20km limit, it's since been increased to 30km (just a few hours ago).

Neither the utility nor the Japanese government has any idea of what will happen next and noone knows how bad the contamination will get.

We see these immense explosions on video and we keep wondering how bad it can actually get. And just when all the reports are that it can't get worse, IT DOES!

Plus, it's pretty tough for the government to keep you in your house if you don't have one anymore.

-ChriS

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
agree... very confusing & frustrating trying to get legit tabs on things, & trying to glean info & updates across the various related threads

i just queried if/when dedicated forums are considered for major crises situations like this...
i'm new here, so i dunno the way stuff's handled by ATS

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Right now the winter weather front coming in will bring snow and colder temps but the wind is blowing towards the ocean from China so its going out to sea at the moment. They say weather will not break till the weekend

So it will be cold for the survivors but the radiation is blowing east

errrrr towards us

Winds at Japan Power Plants Should Send Radiation out to Sea
www.accuweather.com...

edit on 15-3-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Flyzoid

Since I am not any expert in nuclear fall out, i would not be able to analyse the situation.But i am very interested to see any analysis of the prevailing wind going from japan towards US of A and the rest of pacific region. so i can better prepare my family back home in Asia.

i suggest that if anyone in ATS can perhaps provide us where the wind will carry the radiation besides to USA ?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Well the normal winds for Japan blow out towards USA, I would suggest tuning in a local weather station in Japan to see which way the wind is blowing. No way to predict that

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
Right now the winter weather front coming in will bring snow and colder temps but the wind is blowing towards the ocean from China so its going out to sea at the moment. They say weather will not break till the weekend

So it will be cold for the survivors but the radiation is blowing east

errrrr towards us

Winds at Japan Power Plants Should Send Radiation out to Sea
www.accuweather.com...

edit on 15-3-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

could someone explain to me how "moving East" is closer to the U.S.?I thought Japan was East of us. As in " Far east" etc. So is it moving East or West?

Maybe you could you U2U me and save me the embarassment of my idiocy?
edit on 15-3-2011 by missvicky because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-3-2011 by missvicky because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:06 AM
link   
The wind was blowing the radiation TO the east, but reports on TV this morning (UK) say the wind is now blowing TO the south west over Tokyo.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
I'm not a doom and gloom guy by nature but I've been apprehensive over these reactors since the tsunami hit. Something just hasn't felt right. I thought the government spokespeople have been overly optimistic which is probably understandable given everything else the country is going through. The last thing they need is a meltdown on top of everything else... but this appears to be the case regardless.

I've been making my own notes in my diary everyday about what I suspect is really happening and so far, it's right on point. Very troubling!

IRM

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soulsofwe
According to the BBC, reactors 4, 5 and 6 were offline at the time of the earthquake, and non-operational. They wouldn't have turned them on, so how can number 4 suddenly be able to be on fire and explode?

They say it's reactor 2.

www.bbc.co.uk...

a reactor does not have to be ON to be dangerous.
Even after a reactor is turned off, cooling of the reactor
continues until the rods burn their fuel out. If the cooling
process fails, then the rods can forge together in a clump
or ball and start the reaction again as the meltdown allows
the rods to now touch each other. This is how you can
have an explosion in a non-operational reactor or one
that is shutdown. It has to remain cool afterward or it
auto-regenerates itself.

There are 3 more reactors that do not have sufficient
cooling. 5, 6 & 7. So it may eventually be all 7 reactors
that explode radiation into the atmosphere. Reactor
#3 was the worst as the MOX fuel for it is far more
dangerous than the uranium/plutonium of the other
reactors. And #3 has already exploded and breached
containment. So we may have 3 more in the near
future. from the info I have seen thus far.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   
If i was in Japan right now i would GTFO ASAP!

Japan is a small country, radiation will spread further than what the japanese authorities are trying to make out.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by forklift
If i was in Japan right now i would GTFO ASAP!
Japan is a small country, radiation will spread further than what the japanese authorities are trying to make out.

yes, we know this but we have to remain calm
in our actions. rational thought must prevail.
we do not need mass panic with a bunch
of chicken with heads cut off. We can survive
this. This is not end of the world scenario
even if all 7 reactors exploded.

I believe a better classification of this event
would be equivalent to a temporary disability
which will heal with time.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
This was in to Reuters 20m ago :

Kyodo is reporting that TEPCO has become unable to pour water onto the spent fuel in reactor 4

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by xxPUSH0Noo
Please please puhhhleazee let there be no explosion in #3.

The problem with too many threads on this is that info gets lost and it is impossible to update them all

#3 explode yesterday

It has spent fuel on the upper floor and there is no more roof or cooling for the spent fuel. The white steam you see is coming from the spent fuel. #2 and #4 also have had explosions. Most of the techs have been evacuated

Great pic! Where are the back-up diesel generators located?
I guess now would be a good time for the "20/20 Hindsight Moment". I guess General Electric should
have leaned back in their office chairs and played the "what if" process a little longer. This ALL
could have been averted if GE would have placed the back up diesel generators in a steel
" waterproof enclosure ". We build them in the U.S. Navy all the time.

--------------------------------------------------------------
I think spacing the reactors further apart would also have helped.
I read when Reactor 3 blew, it knocked out the cooling for Reactor 2.

edit on 15-3-2011 by Eurisko2012 because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-3-2011 by Eurisko2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Eurisko2012

Eurisko, sadly no one could have predicted a 9.0 earthquake and a tsunami 10 minutes after.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join