It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radioactive plume contaminates U.S. warship.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Radioactive plume contaminates U.S. warship.

bltwy.msnbc.msn.com

SOMA, Japan - The U.S. Seventh Fleet moved its ships and aircraft away from a quake-stricken Japanese nuclear plant Monday after discovering low-level radioactive contamination more than 100 miles offshore.

The aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan was about 100 miles offshore when its instruments detected the radiation. The fleet said the dose of radiation was about the same as one month's normal exposure to natural background radiation in the environment.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
As we start finally getting some radiation data it will tell us a little more and whether we should take precautions against this radiation.

It's very clear watching CNN and such that the U.S. media is taking a "nothing to see here" approach. I'm creating a thread right now to track radiation data in one place. I'll link it below.

Quite a few sources are saying it's nothing to worry about - I hope we know for sure soon:

Radiation can cause cancers. The World Health Organization said the public health risk from Japan's atomic plants remained "quite low."

The Japan Meteorological Agency said that the winds in the area were blowing towards the Pacific Ocean.

"The wind direction is right for people in Japan. It's blowing out to the Pacific," Lennart Carlsson, director of Nuclear Power Plant Safety in Sweden, told Reuters. "I don't think this will be any problem to other countries."

The U.S. is not expected to experience "any harmful levels" of radiation from Japan's stricken reactors, the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission said Sunday

bltwy.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thermo Klein
The fleet said the dose of radiation was about the same as one month's normal exposure to natural background radiation in the environment.

One months exposure is about 30 millirems. To put that in perspective, one hip X-ray is 83 millirems and a full head and body CT is just over 1000. In banana equivalent doses (banana are, relatively speaking, highly radioactive due to the large ammounts of potassium-40) it would be like eating 300 bananas.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thermo Klein
As we start finally getting some radiation data it will tell us a little more and whether we should take precautions against this radiation.

It's very clear watching CNN and such that the U.S. media is taking a "nothing to see here" approach. I'm creating a thread right now to track radiation data in one place. I'll link it below.
It's either going to be a three mile island type scenario, or it isn't.

From what I've seen so far, it seems to be like another three-mile island incident, but that doesn't preclude the possibility that containment could fail later today or this week and if that happens it will be MUCH WORSE than three mile island. But as long as containment holds, exposure to the general population may not pose much of a health threat and the biggest risk will be to those working in the facilities, near the source.

It was probably a good idea to move the ship out of the path of radiation flow just in case it gets worse, which is possible. But if they can keep it under control for a whole week, the chances get much better that containment won't fail.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Thermo Klein

Yet another bogus headline grabbing bit of mumbo jumbo....man people on here are getting as bad as the MSM by putting up glorified headliners that have not base....where does it say this ship was contaminated.

new topics

top topics

join