It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can radioactive fallout reach the U.S. from Japan?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
My first thread on ATS so bear with me

Can Radioactive fallout reach the U.S.? that's the question I have seen time and time again in. many on ATS say it could not because there is no plume like with a blast etc..

as more and more happens to the reactors and more reports of radiation being detected farther away.
I wanted to start a thread to discuss the chances of it happening..

First we know the plants have been leaking/venting/melting etc so will leave that to the other threads.
Radiation has been detected as far as 60 miles from the power plants

Pentagon officials reported Sunday that helicopters flying 60 miles from the plant picked up small amounts of radioactive particulates — still being analyzed, but presumed to include Cesium-137 and Iodine-121 — suggesting widening environmental contamination.

NY Times

so we need a plume of sorts right?

reports of as many as 80 fires have been burning in the north of japan, ABC news reported thick black smoke from the Chiba refinery fire was billowing 3000 ft in the air
ABC news

So much smoke from fires in the area Nasa could see it from space.

The photo from NASA's Aqua satellite was taken at 2:46 p.m. Local Japan Time and shows a dark plume of smoke emanating from the Sendai region. The black smoke can be seen blowing far out to sea.

NASA

now as if that wasn't enough stuff to pick up the radiation, let's add in

Mount Shinmoedake volcano erupts
Not going to debate the cause of the eruption, but needless to say..smoke and ash billowing 6000 feet into the air.

LA Times

now granted the Volcano is south of the power plants.
Map

so it's all up in the air so to speak
wind info.
Jet Stream

windfinder

windguru

I looks to me like it would have no trouble hitting the jet stream and reaching the U.S..
so the big IF is, will it...as the reactor story is still unfolding and there is still radiation leaks/venting/meltdowns/explosions stories coming in..I would say we all should be on alert.
what do you think?

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Well here's Chernoby's radiation map.

en.wikipedia.org...:Chernobyl_radiation_map_1996.svg

Although it was a totally different situation, it could end up that way..

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I've heard from many sources that it's not a threat overseas. It's still rated 4 on the nuclear event scale: "Accident With Local Consequences."
edit on 13-3-2011 by PoorFool because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Apparently yes...
edit on 13-3-2011 by roasted aliv3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Directed to ToTheTenth, your link seems to to show only the wikipedia page for "file". can you help us out with a proper link?

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by PoorFool

but will it stay local? I think if there is that much smoke and debris in the air, it will pick up the radioactivity, thus creating a radioactive plume..now as to how radioactive that is yet to be decided as to how much more leaks/vents etc correct?

It's already been detected up to 60 miles away. so its getting around somehow

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by roasted aliv3

I think that map was confirmed a hoax. I don't remember which thread but it was researched
and apparently it is a hoax.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Shouldn't you have asked this before the U$ dropped those bombs...
ooops
Oh you mean the nuclear reactor melt down..
sorry, carry on

PS
I hope it is not as bad as we fear,,,,over there
PPS couldn't resist the touch of sarcasm...not to be taken personally

edit on 13-3-2011 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I can't seem to find a gov't resource like this at NOAA, but a bunch of volunteers have set up a

Online Radiation Monitoring Network.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I can't give you answers, but I can help define the variables a bit more.

In order to have any radiation level impact the US you would need to have a large emission source with isotopes that could easily float in the air and also will not decay during their trip over. Were talking not just a day or single large emission as it would dissipate quickly over the mid-Pacific and be rained out, but a multi-day, high emission caused by a fire like at Chernobyl.

Likely you would also need to keep in mind the jetstream in relation to the power plant. If it is right over the plant when the high emission starts, then it will move quickly as we've seen some hoax maps illustrate (maybe faster maybe slower, can't be sure). If the Jetstream is further away, it will take longer for any level of radiation to work into it. To get an idea of this effect look at any of the simulations from the BP oil spill. Oil that was not near the Gulf Loop tended to pool in place, while oil that was next to it was drawn in and quickly thrown towards Florida.

Right now its very much a wait and see situation. Especially since some isotopes act differently when airborne due to their weight, reaction to sunlight/water, and other chemicals in the air.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Check the Nuclear jet stream thread here:

Nuclear Jet Stream North America
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
North Pacific Jet Stream Model

This will provide an accurate timeline in the event of radioactive fallout.

edit on 13-3-2011 by MyPathManifests because: Edit: and of course as soon as i post a link, someones got there first. Follow my link to avoid an additional half sec of page loading.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by okiecowboy

mmmmmm... yeeaaahhh kind of.
There will be alot of water filtration from there to here, i wouldn't sweat too much.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Here's a reference to put this in perspective:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7d85f9cfa7c0.jpg[/atsimg]
qed.princeton.edu...

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
This from Youtube:

via The Intel Hub
theintelhub.com...

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   

found this one for what it's worth

link

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

Wow thanks for that
I wonder what the levels in the U.S. were recorded at from that accident..
I know we are not talking about anywhere near that type of release in Japan, but we are also not talking that far to travel..Going to see if I can find out more info on what you posted
Thanks

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are
Here's a reference to put this in perspective:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7d85f9cfa7c0.jpg[/atsimg]
qed.princeton.edu...

The graphite was a huge factor in the span of Chernobyl though, people can't keep comparing the wide spread fallout to whats going on now with that kind of "accuracy" because it's just not the same situation

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by tenhearttkc

I think that map was confirmed a hoax. I don't remember which thread but it was researched

i can't believe that map is still circulating after how many times people have had to say its a hoax. it should be skywritten or something lol

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by tenhearttkc

i can't believe that map is still circulating after how many times people have had to say its a hoax. it should be skywritten or something lol

top topics

<<   2 >>

join