It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Is Not An Aggie Joke....How Many Pens Does It Take To sign Your Name?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I'm writing this thread because of something that bugs the hell out of me every time I witness it and it has to do with the number of pens needed when a politician signs a bill into law. I realize that in the grand scale of things, the cost of these pens is probably insignificant but IMO, it's an absolute waste of money just the same. When you're in the public spotlight, even the appearance of inappropriate behavior is unacceptable. Here are some examples of what I'm talking about;

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cf7c57c66907.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/83066c41883c.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0ec620860019.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/478d44874616.jpg[/atsimg]

There are plenty more photos where these came from and I'm sure everyone knows what I'm talking about here.

As our nation tries to deal with the current economic situation and massive government deficits everyone is looking for places to cut their budgets without causing too much pain in the process. I think that using just one pen to sign bills into law would probably qualify as a "painless" budget cut, however small it may be.

I have no idea who started the practice of using multiple pens, nor do I have any idea what they cost or who's paying for them, but it has gotten to the point that even at the state level, it now seems to be the common practice. All I know is that it's absolutely ridiculous and it amounts to a slap in the face to any person who may be facing pay cuts or the loss of their job all in the name of balancing budgets.

One thing that is quite evident to me, is the fact that these are not 49 cent Bic pens featured in the photos above and if I had to guess, I would bet that these ceremonial pens are probably quite expensive, as far as pens go. I would wager that they're at least $100 each but I would not be surprised to discover that they really cost much more than that. I would also wager that they are being paid for at taxpayer expense.

When I witness such a blatant waste of resources being orchestrated by the very people who are cutting things like school lunch programs and heating oil subsidies for the poor all in the name of balancing budgets, it just makes me sick. Furthermore, judging by this broadly accepted ceremonial procedure, one can only assume that there must be a thousand other examples of useless spending being orchestrated by politicians for no other reason than to pump up their egos.

Another good example would be all the taxpayer money spent creating road signs who's sole purpose is to inform me that a particular construction project is being funded via a bill made possible by this politician or that one. IMO, these expenditures amount to nothing more than taxpayer funded political ads. I know these signs are expensive because when Texas outlawed the use of cell phones in school zones, some cities in my area were paying over $200 per sign to post the new law and these signs are only about 1 ft. wide by 2 ft. tall.

I know this isn't a lot of money that I'm talking about but much like earmarks, enough of these little projects add up to really big and wasteful spending habits and if I were calling the shots, I'd be cutting this crap out of the budget way before I ever considered cutting worker's salaries or aid to the poor. Of course, that's just me.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
The pens are subsequently given as gifts to dignitaries, special visitors to the White House, etc. Given the whole big picture concept - they are probably a pretty inexpensive when compared to other possible gifts.

~Heff

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I love this...knowing someone else thinks that this kinda stuff even not being major is completely ridiculas and a waste of money...I dont understand why they make such a deal when signing,,,maybe its one pen for every law being broken that has to do with whatever new bs bill that theyre signing in

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I cannot believe there is a complaint about this.

I guess there's not enough in the world for the OP to complain about. Let me live your life for a week!

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

The pens are subsequently given as gifts to dignitaries, special visitors to the White House, etc. Given the whole big picture concept - they are probably a pretty inexpensive when compared to other possible gifts.

~Heff

From what I've read, these pens are usually given to congressmen and women who played a significant role in getting the bill to the President's desk. Usually those standing behind him during the signing ceremony. When it comes to gifts for foreign dignitaries, well that's a subject big enough for another whole new thread. I think that if they were to give these pens as gifts to foreign dignitaries, they might be viewed as cheapskates, at least according to this article; www.usnews.com...

On top of that, according to the article, politicians are not even allowed to keep the gifts given to them, so it appears that the entire gift giving extravaganza is nothing more that an exercise in futility.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
If buying a hammer cost the Gov $100, I'm willing to bet those pens cost around $1,500 per pen. You probably could cut about a billion dollars worth of spending if you just cut out all that needless crap they have in the white house, like the white house chef, why can't his wife cook? Or the presidential barber, I wouldn't mind seeing him with an afro.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Just another fine example of how wonderful our government actually is. I have to say that I could not be more thrilled to live in a country where we have so few things to complain about that a box of two dozen pens and a made up price tag ranks up there with "worth even typing out."

America is awesome. We used to have problems.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockdisjoint
If buying a hammer cost the Gov $100, I'm willing to bet those pens cost around $1,500 per pen. You probably could cut about a billion dollars worth of spending if you just cut out all that needless crap they have in the white house, like the white house chef, why can't his wife cook? Or the presidential barber, I wouldn't mind seeing him with an afro.

I'm not asking that the First Lady cook for all those who come to eat at the white house or that the President be forced to grow an afro. Although, I'll bet those pens are indeed quite pricey, let's not forget about the $500 toilet seats. Just remember that this practice is not limited to the White House. Governor Walker did the very same thing just a couple of days ago in the state of Wisconsin, you might have recognized his pens.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Flatfish

I was just joking about, the cooking, and the afro.

But, yes I agree with you.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinnthia
Just another fine example of how wonderful our government actually is. I have to say that I could not be more thrilled to live in a country where we have so few things to complain about that a box of two dozen pens and a made up price tag ranks up there with "worth even typing out."

America is awesome. We used to have problems.

The price really isn't the issue here, it's the fact that it only takes one pen to do the job and anything more than that is just egotistical and wasteful. About the same thing as using gold plated shovels during a groundbreaking ceremony, as if we even need a groundbreaking ceremony.

If I spent as much time as politicians do for things like signing ceremonies, groundbreaking ceremonies and photo ops, I doubt that I'd keep my job very long. Unless of course, my job was being a politician. That's the only field that waste so much time and money on this crap. All I'm saying is that they should just do the damn job we elected them to do and quit wasting our money on egotistical B.S..

Also, I wouldn't underestimate the cost of pens, especially customized gift pens. Apparently most banks have discovered that it's even worth the expense of chaining their pens down to the table, just to avoid having people walk off with them.
edit on 12-3-2011 by Flatfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   

You made me laugh and have to admit curios. So i checked what G W Bush used the AT Cross supplied the president's favorite Townsend midnight blue Lacquer Selectip pens. And you were wondering about the cost you can buy one for 39.00.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockdisjoint

So, every other first family is worthy of having a chef but this particular one?

Somehow I don't believe you were joking.

As for the pens, others have pointed out the reason.

Just gifts.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Yes, it only takes one pen to do the job...But, true to government form, the job is spread out among many pens regardless of redundancy and waste.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   
I made a similar post to this a while back only it was for the cost of Bottled Water...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Like you, I find the wasteful spending ridiculous. While each little waste caught one by one may not seem like a lot, when they are all added up it becomes disgusting very quickly in my opinion.

Complaining about debt while basically striking a match to money we don't even really have right now reeks of ignorance and arrogance.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flatfish
The price really isn't the issue here, it's the fact that it only takes one pen to do the job and anything more than that is just egotistical and wasteful.

The price of the waste you are complaining about is not important? You are going to have to explain the point of complaining about waste with and inconsequential cost. As for "fact," no. It is your opinion that it is wasteful and egotistical. It could even be my opinion too but that would still not make it a "fact." How you feel about something is not a "fact."

About the same thing as using gold plated shovels during a groundbreaking ceremony, as if we even need a groundbreaking ceremony.

Who is doing that? Have you complained to them? Have you studied the cost? Have you checked to see if that gold is reused later or is the shovel tossed into a furnace after the ceremony? I thought this was about pens. How many gold plated shovels is the US tossing away as well and at what cost?

If I spent as much time as politicians do for things like signing ceremonies, groundbreaking ceremonies and photo ops, I doubt that I'd keep my job very long.

Because unlike the president, those are not parts of your job?

Unless of course, my job was being a politician.

Yeah so that is a good point. Chances are pretty good that if I had gone to any job I ever had and cut people open to remove organs, I would have been fired. Unless of course, my job was being a surgeon. Good point.

That's the only field that waste so much time and money on this crap. All I'm saying is that they should just do the damn job we elected them to do and quit wasting our money on egotistical B.S..

And this use of pens for signing statements is even close to the top of the list of things getting in the way of this country running more like you want it to? Really? I think there are a lot of other things that bother me way more. Just comparing the daily cost in both money and lives to run two wars per day really kind of dwarfs a box of pens to me.

Also, I wouldn't underestimate the cost of pens, especially customized gift pens. Apparently most banks have discovered that it's even worth the expense of chaining their pens down to the table, just to avoid having people walk off with them.
edit on 12-3-2011 by Flatfish because: (no reason given)

Yes, pens can be very expensive. 24 can reach into the thousands. Oh noes! Perhaps you should do a cost/benefit analysis of these two situations. Comparing it to a customer driven enterprise that needs to keep a steady supply of pens for its hundreds of strangers a day seems like a stretch. If your concern is waste and redundancy, then a cost/benefit analysis should prove wise.

Sorry but this just seems like really reaching for anything possible to just be critical of. ATS has done a great job of proving to me that my issues with Obama are just plain silly. I should be worried about how many pens he is using,

Originally posted by Flatfish
The price really isn't the issue here,
even though the cost does not matter...
OK.

top topics

join