It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What 10 items would you put in a time capsule?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   
What would you put inside a time capsule to be opened 50 years from now?

Id put in a news paper from that day,and family pictures..what about you?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by sugarcookie1
What would you put inside a time capsule to be opened 50 years from now?

Id put in a news paper from that day,and family pictures..what about you?

sugarcookie1,

Excellent choices.

When it comes to news papers from that day, wouldn't it be wild to include a copy from many different nations/perspectives? I mean, I'd love to get that everyday, so imagine reading these papers 50 years from now. What two generations from now would say!?!?!?

S & F

Cheers!

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   
I believe you're about 8 short.

1. 64GB memory card packed full with music, pics, information about me (not everything, just what I would want to be known), a few random predictions and many various current events. Lots of info in 64 GB.

2. A disk with much of the same info (better chances that they will be able to read the info with future technology)

3. Keys- 1 small, 1 normal size, and 1 extra large size (not to anything in particular), but after someone sees the keys, they will most likely be much more interested in everything else, and look through everything on the memory card, and disk.

4. handwritten map. Not to anything in particular. Just to mess with people lol.

5. My own DNA in a vile (hair sample, blood sample, saliva). not sure why, but just in case.

6. recipe book

7. also, same as you, some real pictures just in case the other files cannot be retrieved from disk or card. Mostly of landscapes, sky, moon, and maybe a few of me.

8. Sealed bag of dirt.

9. Sealed bag of sugar.

10. a lighter

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   
1. My blood
2. My semen
3. My hair
4. My urine
5. My feces
6. My saliva
7. My skin
8. My muscle tissue
9. A carton of milk
10. "Human, all too human" by Friedrich Nietszche.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Hessling

Hessling..what a great idea i never thought of that..what a good choice!

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles
I believe you're about 8 short.

1. 64GB memory card packed full with music, pics, information about me (not everything, just what I would want to be known), a few random predictions and many various current events. Lots of info in 64 GB.

2. A disk with much of the same info (better chances that they will be able to read the info with future technology)

3. Keys- 1 small, 1 normal size, and 1 extra large size (not to anything in particular), but after someone sees the keys, they will most likely be much more interested in everything else, and look through everything on the memory card, and disk.

4. handwritten map. Not to anything in particular. Just to mess with people lol.

5. My own DNA in a vile (hair sample, blood sample, saliva). not sure why, but just in case.

6. recipe book

7. also, same as you, some real pictures just in case the other files cannot be retrieved from disk or card. Mostly of landscapes, sky, moon, and maybe a few of me.

8. Sealed bag of dirt.

9. Sealed bag of sugar.

10. a lighter

That's because i cant count past 2
music would be a great choice that's a universal language everyone understands
Sealed bag of dirt good idea id throw in a pack of see random predictions id do ones like 911 and Katrina
Sealed bag of sugar? why that? Id do salt
all of your ideas were good and thanks:

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

You, of all people, asking "why sugar"? Something about that just doesn't seem right

To answer- because I love sweets. If by chance in the future, they no longer have real sugar, I think it would be a very pleasant surprise.

I don't think sugar would ever go bad would it? I personally will never find out. Seems to vanish quickly in my kitchen. I'm addicted to sweetened iced tea.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Somehumanbeing
1. My blood
2. My semen
3. My hair
4. My urine
5. My feces
6. My saliva
7. My skin
8. My muscle tissue
9. A carton of milk
10. "Human, all too human" by Friedrich Nietszche.

Some of your picks were unusual but hey its your time capsule..I'm thinking the carton of milk might be a problem

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles
reply to post by sugarcookie1

You, of all people, asking "why sugar"? Something about that just doesn't seem right

To answer- because I love sweets. If by chance in the future, they no longer have real sugar, I think it would be a very pleasant surprise.

I don't think sugar would ever go bad would it? I personally will never find out. Seems to vanish quickly in my kitchen. I'm addicted to sweetened iced tea.

BrokenCircles that's true about the sugar the only thing that would happen to that would it would get hard over time and you would have to seal it very tight
I love sugar also i think were all addicted to it its in everything almost.. it don't last long around here either,I'm a tea lover also but i like mine just cold and unsweetened i bet i drink a gallon a day.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
1. CD player
2. CD's from all eras
3. Flashlight/batteries
4. Sugar cookie's
5. Mad magazine and other literary greats
6. Pocket watch
7. More sugar cookies
8. Currency from other countries
9. Flags from other countries
10. And last but not least,you guessed it,more sugar cookies!!

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Neat question. I would find out where other people I knew were burying their capsules, and encourage my friends to do the same. All of us would have a map that showed the locations of all the other capsules in our groups, so if you find one, you can find the rest too.

1. Maps to other capsules.

I really like Dean Koontz, because he said the measure of good literature is simply this: are a lot of people reading it? So I would include one of my favorite romance novels, a favorite thriller, and a favorite horror. Because I think those things really influence us.

2, 3, 4. Three books (popular fiction).

I like to keep a file of good advice I read or hear from people. I'd probably print that out and shove it in the capsule.

5. Good advice from your ancestors.

People would probably want to know what things looked like now. So--pictures, and on the back of those, brief explanations.

6. Photographs.
A. My house. (one for each room)
B. My car. (Two shots, interior and exterior)
C. The contents of my purse.
D. My computer.
E. My office.

Newspapers is a great idea. I'd pick out three of the most important ones for that year.

7, 8, 9. Newspapers.

And just for fun, Pez!

10. My Hello Kitty Pez dispenser, with three refills!

Bam. Capsule done!

~ Aura ~

edit on 15-3-2011 by PrincessAura because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Hrm, interesting...

1) An iPod loaded with a cross section of seminal music from our era, covering all genres, including Robert Johnson, Thelonius Monk, Johnny Cash, The Doors, Public Enemy, among others.

2) A portable DVD player.

3) A pack of DVD's including a classic movie (Citizen Kane) a modern classic (Star Wars maybe), and a few others ( Kubrick most definitely ), a disc from a good sitcom, maybe MASH or The Office, and a few cultural documentaries about our modern society.

4) A portable solar charger with adapters for both of the above devices.

5) Gibbons "The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire". (Book)

6) Photographs and information about extinct and currently endangered animal species.

7) A can or bottle of Coke with a note explaining just now much this one product impacted our modern world - dietarily, and culturally.

8) A copy of Stephen Hawkings "A Brief History of Time" to see if it is still considered applicable in the future.

9) A pack of Pop Rocks - because all time capsules have a novelty item.

10) A personal note, describing myself, listing my genealogy, including the names of my children, and addressing my hopes about what I hope the world has become by the time of reading.

~Heff

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by 43LEO729
1. CD player
2. CD's from all eras
3. Flashlight/batteries
4. Sugar cookie's
5. Mad magazine and other literary greats
6. Pocket watch
7. More sugar cookies
8. Currency from other countries
9. Flags from other countries
10. And last but not least,you guessed it,more sugar cookies!!

Hiya Leo!
I love your choices.but forget the other stuff just fill the capsule full of sugarcookies!! Then put a label on the outside of the time capsule and call it the cookie jar

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   

edit on 15-3-2011 by sugarcookie1 because: brain fart

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by PrincessAura

PrincessAura
Great idea haveing everyone have a map that showed the locations of all there capsules in your group,It would be like a treasure hunt!
I like the idea of the contents of your purse if its anything like mine it would like one of the 7 wonders of the world

My Hello Kitty Pez dispenser, with three refills! That's the best idea yet!

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Heff your going to need a jumbo time capsule that's alot of stuff ,you pack like i do my luggage for a trip

I love the idea of photographs and information about extinct and currently endangered animal species some might not be around in 50 years..
A can or bottle of Coke great idea, Stephen Hawkings "A Brief History of Time"another good idea
A pack of Pop Rocks now that's awesome!

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
One of the best windows we have into everyday life from the past. Personal journals.

10 journals from people in different environments. Sounds silly, but I guarantee it would be a big hit with the future historians and archeologists.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by glitch88
One of the best windows we have into everyday life from the past. Personal journals.

10 journals from people in different environments. Sounds silly, but I guarantee it would be a big hit with the future historians and archeologists.

Hiya glitch88
10 journals from people in different environments that's a wonderful idea nothing silly about that... historians and archaeologists would have a hayday with that kind of info..

Thanks for the reply

top topics

join