It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mayor, police chief arrested in N.M. village

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
MSNBC.com

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — The mayor and police chief of a tiny New Mexico border town best known for a raid by Mexican revolutionary Pancho Villa nearly a century ago were among 11 people accused Thursday of participating in a ring that illegally sent firearms to Mexico.

A federal indictment alleges the defendants have engaged in a conspiracy — based in Columbus, N.M. — to buy the firearms since January 2010. Law enforcement officers executed search warrants Thursday at eight residences, a business and the Columbus Police Department.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   

"Mayor Eddie Espinoza, Police Chief Angelo Vega, and town Trustee Blas Gutierrez were among those accused of firearms and smuggling charges in the 84-count indictment, which was unsealed Thursday afternoon."

I can't help but draw a parallel with their names and illegal activity in Mexico. And no, I won't apologize for sounding racist to anyone that's irrational about it. I am aware that people with the last of Johnson could be just as culpable in this situation and that not all Hispanics are criminals.

/TOA
edit on 11-3-2011 by The Old American because: Fixed ext. text

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I wonder if these people are genuinely guilty or just taking the fall for the ATF smuggling scandal that's been gaining heat in recent weeks.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
I wonder if these people are genuinely guilty or just taking the fall for the ATF smuggling scandal that's been gaining heat in recent weeks.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

That is a very good question. Though if they were working in conjunction with the ATF in arms sales, it doesn't really matter. They just were lucky enough to get caught.

/TOA

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

I did a little post on this yesterday just as they were being rounded up...
and you have to wonder about the Mexican connection since it's right there where all the trouble is happening...
more so when this tiny town wouldn't draw much attention from anyone really...

if I had to make a guess I'd say rather than getting caught up in that ATF mess there working with the other side... there are a lot of very close family ties down there on both sides of the border

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American

"Mayor Eddie Espinoza, Police Chief Angelo Vega, and town Trustee Blas Gutierrez were among those accused of firearms and smuggling charges in the 84-count indictment, which was unsealed Thursday afternoon."

I can't help but draw a parallel with their names and illegal activity in Mexico. And no, I won't apologize for sounding racist to anyone that's irrational about it. I am aware that people with the last of Johnson could be just as culpable in this situation and that not all Hispanics are criminals.

/TOA
edit on 11-3-2011 by The Old American because: Fixed ext. text

Yes. Very interesting that "TPTB" or whoever is arranging all this terrorism-type stuff never picks anyone named "Johnson", etc. to do their dirty deeds. However, this might be the exception.

It was a routine call for Quincy police about two homeless men fighting. Hussain Al-Hussaini was arrested. The victim was taken to the hospital.

Then came the surprise. Readers commenting on a story about Wednesday’s arrest on The Patriot Ledger’s website noted that a man with the same name was mentioned prominently in a book about the deadly bombing of an Oklahoma City federal building in 1995.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
Yes. Very interesting that "TPTB" or whoever is arranging all this terrorism-type stuff never picks anyone named "Johnson", etc. to do their dirty deeds. However, this might be the exception.

It was a routine call for Quincy police about two homeless men fighting. Hussain Al-Hussaini was arrested. The victim was taken to the hospital.

Then came the surprise. Readers commenting on a story about Wednesday’s arrest on The Patriot Ledger’s website noted that a man with the same name was mentioned prominently in a book about the deadly bombing of an Oklahoma City federal building in 1995.

Crazy talk, sir. Anyone with a remotely "Muslim-sounding" name is a victim and a pacifist and must be treated as such.

/TOA

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I just wanted to say I live in N.M. and MS13 or the Mexican Mafia is very strong there. Ever since I moved there I have heard and even seen how this is true. Most of the officials and police there are hispanic and have ties through family relations to organized crime...a lot of cops have family members involved even if it's a 4th cousin. If you know about the hispanic culture family is a big deal kinda like in asian culture. I mean h-ll right before I left to visit back home the last corruption I heard was 2 cops pulled a guy over near the border of colorado near a town called Arroyo Seco, during their search they found 2oz. of coc aine next thing the guy knew the cops were getting in their car and leaving...with the blow. I actually know the guy this happened to so I'm not just telling you something someone gossiped to me. It's a jungle down there and corruption is rife!

ETA: my friend grows bud there he was robbed by police at the end of the summer as well and never saw a charge ever! Thankfully not all of the police are that bad but it seems as if they look the other way quite often till things get outta hand then in comes the feds and they start to act right...
edit on 11-3-2011 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Most of law enforcement here in NM is corrupt. Just look how many citizens where killed in Albuquerque last year alone. Was it 12 or 13? And if you want to know more about the good ol boys down here in the wild west just go to truecrimesdotcom.

Your mind shall be blown.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

It does seem awfully convenient, doesn't it? "Wasn't us! it was THOSE GUYS!"

And thankfully, Agent Johnson managed to find some guy with a Spanish surname to take the hit for him, as posters have noted

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Many, if not most law enforcement agencies, judges, politicians, etc in the border region are are in the pay of the cartels, or took the bribery part of Plata o Polomo (yes the cartels give that "deal" on our side of the border too - though it's not reported by the media). It's a somewhat well known fact but one that is swept under the rug so that the Federal government can avoid admitting that we have a serious national security problem.

The Columbus Police Department has a very poor reputation in the area. They have only 4 officers plus the chief and a very high turnover rate due to officers being arrested for corruption and ties to Mexican drug cartels. They have gone through something like 4 police chiefs in 7 years because they keep getting arrested by the Feds. It has also announced that the department is going to be disbanded and replaced by Luna County Sheriff's deputies and New Mexico State Police officers.
edit on 11-3-2011 by ChrisF231 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I practically poop my pants everytime I get pulled over by APD. I am truly scared of them. APD has killed 2 or 3 this year. Its not just boarder towns. Check out Espanola, NM. Heroin hub of the USA. More people OD per capita in Espanola than NYC. Its a fact.

There is so much smack up there the pigs have to be paid off.

And anyone who lives here in NM knows we all know someone that knows someone.

edit on 11-3-2011 by Frankenchrist because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
The fact that these guys are not Johnson's or Smith's is because of the location; these men are Mexican Descent and it is quite normal to have everyone on the block with a Hispanic last name. So anyone trying to infer that their names are a direct correlation are really fooling themselves.

Heck, in this region of the world "white" is about 6% of the population, so really this is a silly angle for anyone to consider.

The fact remains this is a messed up world and people as a whole do not see past their next mortgage or means to grabbing a bit more of the "American Dream". With such a diminished "pie" to eat off of there are many who will opt to carry out such dastardly deeds. They really do not care outside of themselves except when it deals with them and their family.

However, someone is bringing the weapons into Columbus long before they are going to Mexico, that would be of great interest to find out, and I bet there can be no one else with such far-reaching arms than the ones attached to our own Government.

This Sheriff and Mayor probably don't even know who they are dealing with half the time, they are just selfish souls who thought they could get away with it and probably would have if the PTB did not need a fall-guy. So sad but they will be replaced and this will move along to another area.

Columbus is very destitute and very very poor! They have minimal water and a whole lot of Sun and desert between them and Hell.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Yeah, I agree just because they have spanish names dont mean anything. Heck, I know Hispanics down here with white last names and those kids are brown as my dad.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American

Originally posted by centurion1211

Crazy talk, sir. Anyone with a remotely "Muslim-sounding" name is a victim and a pacifist and must be treated as such.

/TOA

All White Supremists are White.
Therefore all Whites are White Supremists.

All American Italian Mafia are Italian.
Therefore all Italian Americans are in the Mafia.

We can do this all day.

If we choose to embrace logical fallacies, let's at least be consistant.

new topics

top topics

join