It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian seeking advice

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
This is pertaining to the Canadian UFO files released that im sure most of you are aware of.

so, a couple months back I sent out 3 emails (archives of Canada. local MPP, and Ontario MPP Dalton McGuinty) requesting information as to why the ufo files stop in 1987 and why not release all files up to current. (99% of those documents are a joke btw, not even documents really... basically just a couple of lines saying that someone reported something, and they wrote it down...)

Needless to say, none responded to my inquiry.

my question is-

Is there a law in Canada like the U.S.A freedom of information act where I could legally demand answers and not just ask nicely like a kid wanting ice cream.....
edit on 10-3-2011 by OUNjahhryn because: line1

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by OUNjahhryn

Good question, I would be interested to know that too. I have only been here for about 2 and a half years, been really too busy trying to get the business off the ground to be too involved in politics and laws and such.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Ive been here all my life, 21 years, and know very little about Canadian politics, to a lot of Canadians, our government its just something that is there and no one really worries about. Thats I guess because things go pretty smooth here for the most part.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Here you go ... this link will take you to a wikipedia page. Scroll down and you will get a list of provinces and their respective links to F.O.I. (freedom of information).

Unfortunately if you are looking for one central site provided by the government there is none. Harper shut it down.

The Coordination of Access to Information Requests System, also known as CAIRS, was a database of freedom of information requests made to the federal government of Canada under the Access to Information Act. It was operated by the Department of Public Works and Government Services. It was created in 1989 to internally track requests[1], and eventually allowed for access to previously filed requests, previously released documents, and then current requests.[2] By 2008, millions of documents are available through CAIRS.[3] In 2001, Public Works spent C$166,000 upgrading the system.[1]

Effective April 1, 2008, the Treasury Board has stated that "the requirement to update CAIRS is no longer in effect".[1] Conservative Prime Minister Stephen Harper explained this decision as a result of CAIRS being "deemed expensive, [and] deemed to slow down the access to information."[2] Treasury Board President Vic Toews described the system as a tool used to inhibit freedom of information:

"If anyone made a request that was considered sensitive, the request was shipped to the appropriate Liberal minister. At that point the Liberal minister would manage, control or delay the request. That was the purpose of the system. That is a pretty convenient system the Liberals had, but it is not one that the government will continue with."[4]

In response, Liberal Leader of the Opposition Stéphane Dion described Harper's government as "the most secretive government in the history of our country."[2]

While the government cited Alastair Roberts, a Syracuse University political scientist, as a critic of CAIRS,[1] Roberts publicly commented that he was not in favour of shutting down the system, saying "They really don't care what I think about CAIRS or any other aspect of ATI [access to information]...f they did they would have taken my advice about CAIRS a few years ago when I said they ought to switch on the capacity to make the entire thing publicly accessible."[3]

Source: Wikipedia

If anyone has any information on perhaps another Canadian (not provincial) Government site where one may request information please post a link.

Peace & Respect,

AS
edit on 10-3-2011 by AeonStorm because: added

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   

That was how it was back in NY too, most people just weren't interested, other than voting their party lines. It is pretty scary, this summer, business going strong or not, I am delving into the canadian political and law system. It is really scary living in a place and not knowing too much. I haven't been all that worried up until now because there are no police here lol.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by AeonStorm

The more I hear about harper, the more I dislike him... Seems like the politics up here is very similar to that of the us

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

The more I hear about harper, the more I dislike him... Seems like the politics up here is very similar to that of the us

I think both Harper and Obama serve new masters now. It's definitely not the people.

Welcome to the New World fellow Canadians!
edit on 10-3-2011 by AeonStorm because: added

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   

pure evil

anyways, thanks for the information, It will prove helpful

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Well examining that picture there, I think he was posing with his soon to be snack :p

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Dear OUNjahhryn

It really doesn’t matter if they have a law that says you have a right to this knowledge or not.

If they TPTB do not want you to have it you will not have it.

They are the law.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by MAC269

Well aren't you the optimist, what a beacon of sunshine you are!

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

My dearest TKDRL

Thank you so much for the complement.

Naturally if I were wrong we would all know all about it already.

Their whole job description is to Lie and misinform. That is what they do that is what they have always done, that is what they always will do.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by MAC269
reply to post by TKDRL

My dearest TKDRL

Thank you so much for the complement.

Naturally if I were wrong we would all know all about it already.

Their whole job description is to Lie and misinform. That is what they do that is what they have always done, that is what they always will do.

the greatest threat to humans is apathy,

doing nothing and having no results is better than not trying

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Dear OUNjahhryn

Please try not to confuse realism for apathy. In a country that has a freedom of information act for sure like the USA give me just one instance where people have actually found out any truth about this subject.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by MAC269

I don't know why your on this site if your not willing to try to find answers. you go ahead and do nothing, your grandchildren will thank you I'm sure.

In the meantime, I will continue to try, I don't get discouraged by no results, I get motivated.

The way your thinking about the situation is how they want you to be thinking.

Its not much for me to take a few min out of my day to try to do something for the benefit of knowledge.

but if its too much for you to send a email, than I guess life is pretty tough.

new topics

top topics

join