It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Buried Soldiers May Be Victims of Ancient Chemical Weapon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   

www.livescience.com... These 20 men, who died in A.D. 256, may be the first victims of chemical warfare to leave any archeological evidence of their passing, according to a new investigation. The case is a cold one, with little physical evidence left behind beyond drawings and archaeological excavation notes from the 1930s. But a new analysis of those materials published in January in the American Journal of Archaeology finds that the soldiers likely did not die by the sword as the original excavator believed. Instead, they were gassed.

Some very interesting research coming out of the American Journal of Archaeology these days. I've heard of throwing plague bodies over city walls and Molotov Cocktail like grenades, but this takes the cake.

www.sciencedaily.com... Diagram showing the Sasanian Persian mine designed to collapse Dura’s city wall and adjacent tower, the Roman countermine intended to stop them, and the probable location of the inferred Persian smoke-generator thought to have filled the Roman gallery with deadly fumes. The Persians may have used bellows, but a natural chimney effect may also have helped generate the poisonous cloud. (Credit: Image copyright Simon James)

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Interesting story OP.

I fear we must keep this info from TPTB, as the headlines tomorrow will most likely read

WMD'S FOUND IN SYRIA, US & ISRAEL PREPARING SHOCK & AWE CAMPAIGN IN RESPONSE

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
People never seem to change do they

Interesting find OP S&F

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Great information that you found! Especially interesting is the Greek's method of heating sand in shields and then catapulting the red-hot granules onto Alexander the Great's army. Ouch!

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Erica1631

Can't forget Hannibal's pots of snakes or Roman bee and hornet nests, both of which would be catapulted at the enemy

new topics

top topics

join