It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crouching Producers, Hidden Agendas - The WikiLeaks Film Barrage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   
It used to be that a recent historical event could have over a decade between it and its first fictional film account. Sometimes it would be even this long before the documentary would happen. The media would be left at the side lines commentating on an event as it happened to a captured audience.

It seems a lot of that has changed over the last decade. We’ve had films coming out depicting the conflicts in the Middle East before bodies were even cooled, books about Charlie Sheen are hitting the shelves right now while the coc aine is still fresh, South Park writers hurriedly scribble up an episode a few days before it goes to broadcast about the latest political faux pas, books and life story rights on the latest exciting events are being bought up almost before anyone knows by big studios and producers ...

This content is no longer just reporting on events, it is now part of the event or sometimes it even is the event. More than ever, knee jerk reactions from media producers are being taken seriously. How many times has a friend 100% copied their opinion from Colbert or South Park? How many persons even bother to chase down the real facts? How often are the real facts even available? When we watch our screens we are held captive by a constant stream of facts ... How often do we get to see opposing points of view in our 22 to 24 minute slices of viewing? It seems the largest producers avoid the debate more often than not.

This could be changing though. Dreamworks, Universal, Annapurna Productions, Management360, HBO films, and BBC films have all either commissioned spec scripts, or bought material regarding WikiLeaks. Some of these are joint projects, but it equals four separate films based on WikiLeaks.
All the documentaries have slightly different approaches. One is based on the New York Times’s role in the events, another is based around the release of the famous helicopter footage ... Steven Spielberg is listed as an Executive Producer for the Dreamworks project. I wonder if all four films will have the same opinion of Assange’s efforts?

How do we feel about it though? The media commenting on events in real time ... is this a good thing? Even in the good old days speculative media producers made amazingly awesome mistakes ... like when Sly Stallone praised the Taliban in Rambo 3. Could the media influence more stupidity through poor research and knee jerk projects?

These four projects (still only in the development cycle) could set the stage for a massive show down between big weight producers pushing different agendas. Usually content such as Michael Moore’s documentary is released on a grand stage with its only detractors being the youtube rebels and marginalised critics, but this could really be an even footed show down depending on the tact each producer takes.

So far only one of the films has settled on a title which is Management360’s ‘The Boy Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest’. Personally, I hope all the films get a green light rather than the usual one or two big producers cornering a large event with their opinions. Though I do find it worrying that more and more we turn to TV for answers and less and less time is being taken between documenting our important events.

More than ever we are at the mercy of the chaotic mainstream media agendas.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pinke
It used to be that a recent historical event could have over a decade between it and its first fictional film account. Sometimes it would be even this long before the documentary would happen.....
How do we feel about it though? The media commenting on events in real time ... is this a good thing? Even in the good old days speculative media producers made amazingly awesome mistakes ... like when Sly Stallone praised the Taliban in Rambo 3. Could the media influence more stupidity through poor research and knee jerk projects?
More than ever we are at the mercy of the chaotic mainstream media agendas.

There is simply more media today. Its only natural that events get turned into Movies/Documentaries quicker.
It is neither a good or a bad thing....it is simply a thing. Its a business, plain and simple. People that are unwilling to do their own research, and who are uneducated will continue to be ignorant of any real facts. This is not the fault of the media....nor is it a scheme by the media to keep people dumb.....Its simply the fault of those unwilling, or too lazy to do any research on their own.

As for Rambo....he made no mistake in praising the Taliban. Did you forget that this was the attitude of the US government towards the Taliban at the time?!?! Have you yourself neglected to research the fact that the US funded the Taliban, and are one of the main forces in its rise to power? We did so to help them kick the Russians out, and it backfired on us. Yes it was a stupid mistake by our Government, or perhaps even a deal with the Devil.....a risky gamble that forgot the old adage "better the devil you know". At least we knew how to deal with the Russians. 'Rambo' was simply written to have the same attitude as our own military leaders at the time.

Only the ignorant and intellectually lazy who actually use the mainstream media for their main source of news are at the mercy of such a beast......

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by bhornbuckle75
There is simply more media today. Its only natural that events get turned into Movies/Documentaries quicker.
It is neither a good or a bad thing....it is simply a thing. Its a business, plain and simple. People that are unwilling to do their own research, and who are uneducated will continue to be ignorant of any real facts. This is not the fault of the media....nor is it a scheme by the media to keep people dumb.....

I don't think it's a scheme by the media to keep people dumb. I 100% believe the media is an independent entity, but therein lies the danger. It's a mercenary beast that does whatever produces the best results at the time.

You're jumping to conclusions about my opinions a little perhaps?

Have you yourself neglected to research the fact that the US funded the Taliban, and are one of the main forces in its rise to power? [sic ]'Rambo' was simply written to have the same attitude as our own military leaders at the time.

Well aware of this, but you don't seem to see the danger inherent in it. I personally consider the endorsement a mistake. I know why it was done, I know the status quo it was supporting, and I feel it was a poor decision romanticizing stuff that the producer/studio did not have an intimate understanding of.

Just because Rambo made money out of it and America was doing it doesn't excuse either in my mind.

Only the ignorant and intellectually lazy who actually use the mainstream media for their main source of news are at the mercy of such a beast......

People watch what they agree with to support the status quo often. They sometimes use the information contained therein to support and reinforce their beliefs. It's a chicken and egg problem. Did they have the belief first and then add media hyperbole to it? Or are parts of their beliefs due to absorbing media content?

You can find statistics like this but they're hardly conclusive.

Alternatively just glance around the boards. How many persons believe in the most random things because of something they saw on TV? Glen Beck and AJ supporters? Have a peek at some of the threads on sexuality and see how many of those opinions and examples are pulled straight from South Park. Some persons almost quote South Park as an academic reference these days.

Yes, I agree no one is technically controlling media. It's an unchained beast that does whatever gives it an instant rewards. It would almost be comforting if there was an NWO holding the leash to give the whole thing some focus. Not that I would like that.

Even if the ignorant and intellectually lazy are only 1% of the population tell me that isn't worrying? Where I live elections have had as little as 0.25%. between the participants. That and it would be 1 in a 100 persons is a complete moron.

Thanks for your insight anyway.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pinke

Originally posted by bhornbuckle75

You're jumping to conclusions about my opinions a little perhaps?

Just because Rambo made money out of it and America was doing it doesn't excuse either in my mind.

You can find statistics like this but they're hardly conclusive.

Even if the ignorant and intellectually lazy are only 1% of the population tell me that isn't worrying?

Jumping to conclusions about your opinion? Perhaps a little....and It appears I came across harshly in some of my statements....and I apologize for that.

To be honest I don't remember the quote in question....though I agree that it is wrong to romanticize such a thing, I would argue that in an artistic sense the writer was simply being true to the character of Rambo. He was a military man (or at least ex military.....I forget the timeline of the 3rd film) who it can be assumed had dealings with the Taliban, at a time when America portrayed them as fellow freedom fighters, rather than Terrorists. It seems then only fitting that such a character would feel a kinship with his fellow freedom fighters. One centuries freedom fighters are another centuries terrorists. I don't think that this Rambo movie was written in a time period when such Islamic extremism had engulfed the Middle East had it? If so then I'd hardly expect a writer to know the future push towards anti-Americanism, and extremist Islamic practices that would be the future of the Taliban. Now on the other hand the American Military should have had at least a back up plan for such a thing....you don't just arm a bunch of desert folk, which already have questionable attitudes towards everything America (at least is supposed to) stand for....and teach them to fight the Commies, then leave expecting them to be playing baseball and eating apple pie after they defeat the Russian presence. Again though...I don't remember the quote, or much of the movie in general....so my thoughts on the quote may be wrong....just my two cents though.

Actually I read a statistic that said people who watched the Daily Show, were better informed than most that just watched the news (or perhaps it was in comparison to Fox News specifically...I can't remember). That said, of course neither is this study conclusive, or really all that meaningful in the whole scheme of things. No matter what source you are watching, you are going to be better informed if you actually search out information yourself and do a bit of research. saying the Daily Show is better than Fox...while most likely true....is sort of like saying an ice cream cone is less calories than a big mac. Even if its true, if either one of those is all you eat, you're gonna end up a lard butt! LOL! (PS I didn't have the source of that statistic off the top of my head, although I'm sure I could find it....I just didn't think it was all that important, since I was just using it as part of my overall comment....still if you really want it, I'll find it for ya)

1%?......Oh I'm sure its MUCH higher than that!!! LOL! In fact I'd sooner believe that its only 1% that actually do take the time to do research before they come up with an opinion, on matters that are actually very important to this country! And yes....I find that very worrying!!!

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
I only watched this one the other night. By the time it was first aired here it was already slightly out of date.
I don't mind really, it was good to see something on discovery that wasn't 4 years old to begin with.

edit on 10-3-2011 by pazcat because: (no reason given)

top topics

join