It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remembering Apollo 11

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 07:09 PM
link   
35 years ago, on the 20th of July 1969
Where were you?

Maybe you weren't born yet.
If thats the case, it probably seems like just another piece of history.
How do you feel about it?

But for those who remember, those glued to the TV sets.
It was something more. the pictures were like magic to me.
The moon, hanging in the sky, was different, there were PEOPLE standing on it!
The astronauts
Armstrong
Aldrin
Collins
Americans, heros, role models. Thats what those guys were, to me.

If you remember that day, it would be nice to hear your story.
Where you were, who you were with, how did you feel?

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I was glued to the television set!

I watched the landing, and Armstrong's step. And I loved watching the clips in the following days of the astronauts working and frolicking around the moon. I remember snippets here and there, but mostly I remember watchingthe grainy images and then looking at the sky overhead, so far away and thinking "we're there!"

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
I remember watchingthe grainy images and then looking at the sky overhead, so far away and thinking "we're there!"

*sniffle* *wipes tear*
good one Byrd

I wasnt born, so i can't really say

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I remember that my cousins, and myself
re-enacted the moon landing, in my Aunt's living room.

I got to be Neil Armstrong..woohoo!

But, how to simulate the 1/6th gravity?
Simple...we tied pillows to our feet, and walked around in slow motion!!!

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Pretty conveniant that they landed on a cloudless night so you could see the moon aint it just wouldnt of been the same if you had of looked out & it was all #ty outside

But being serious i wasnt born sometimes i wish i had of been around to see it & other times im abit annoyed that im alive @ the moment i am now cos id like to see whats coming up but ye if i was alive i would of been watchin pretty closely or like homer in the simpsons sitting on his beanbag listening to music

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Hi all!!

What nostalgia that question posed!

I was 18 at the time of the Moon landing, and took the following day off work, as I knew I'd be staying up "late" (or more correctly early!
) to witness this moment in History.

Based in UK, I remember watching Sir Patrick Moore and James Burke talk us through the intricasies of the build up to the landing itself and the subsequent feelings of elation when "...the Eagle has landed!"

The prospect - then - of establishing long term bases on the Moon, and the subsequent exploration of the Solar System - seemed quite achievable and realistic. What a shame (IMO) that *that* dream ended over the years since...

And I've still got a commenorative record of the event too (vinyl, of course!).

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I have the best storie .How manny of you can rember anything at all from when you were THREE .Yea that right I was born october 13 1965 .
I REMBER sitting on the floor in the living room and seeing the tv and see niel step out and rember hearing his famias Words that Ring out through history .
ONE Small step for man one large step for man kind.
Even though i was only three I understood just how Tremendus The moon landing was and it set a path For my life Space The Never ending frounter.
God at times I feal as if you could just reach up and touch a star.
I real miss thous days when men took on the challanges with out having to have a commity meeting first.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 06:52 AM
link   
I was not born then either but...ohhh i wish i had seen that first hand,

It must have been one real amazing moment, My family often talk about hey they were sat glued to the TV, My dad even had a tear in his eye,

I wish video recorders where house hold item then, Imagin the old family vids of that!

Anyhows heres a great nasa Apollo 30th aniversary page.

www.hq.nasa.gov...

theres some great pics in the gallery.

[edit on 20-7-2004 by asala]

JAK

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Unfortunately, (well for me anyway), I wasn't born then.

But I do have, framed and pride of place on my wall, a genuine Daily Express dated Monday July 21 1969. It is the paper my Nan and Grandad had delivered daily, they kept that one for the obvious reason. What makes it even more personal is where the newsagent has scrawled their house number at the top.

I also have the paper from the day after. Excellent stuff, to me they are treasures encapsulating a world event while also holding a personal flavour.

One thing that does make me smile is the cartoon on the front page of July 21st underneath pictures of Neil Armstrong and Edwin Aldrin. It shows a lady leaning out of a window, looking up at the moon. Inscribed on the moon's surface are the words "Coca-Cola" and the caption beneath reads, "I rather think they've arrived."

Lol - some things never change.

Jack

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 03:02 PM
link   
well, i missed to moon landings but i'm hoping for the mars landings!

i've always wanted to be an astronaut. armstrong is one of my heros, and i managed to get a couple of my little brothers named after astronauts.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I can't wait for a thread like this to appear after we land on Mars!!! Man the moon landings were almost emotional for me. Even though I wasn't there I felt like I was there.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
I can't wait for a thread like this to appear after we land on Mars!!! Man the moon landings were almost emotional for me. Even though I wasn't there I felt like I was there.

i never saw the moon landing live but when i first saw the old film fotage when i was young and i was like "Woah" i remember being glued to the TV when john gleen went up again. i was watching during call in 7th grade.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Genya
The prospect - then - of establishing long term bases on the Moon, and the subsequent exploration of the Solar System - seemed quite achievable and realistic. What a shame (IMO) that *that* dream ended over the years since...

I was too young to remember Lunar Landing. My earliest memory of any space mission was when the US and Soviets linked up in space and shook hands, yada yada yada.

The future of space travel seemed so possible at the time. Every kid I knew wanted to be an astronaut. I agree with you Genya that it is a shame those goals were never met. Hopefully...someday.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 07:02 PM
link   
going to the moon was about one thing: beating the russians, thats all and nothing more

jra

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Here is a great panorama shot on the moons surface. You need quicktime to view it. www.panoramas.dk...

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Conspiracy Moon Landing on NationalGeographicChannel on right now.Replay at 10p.m Central.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 07:13 PM
link   
jra,

That is really cool. Thanks for that link

I like that it has a soundtrack of the comm. as well!

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 03:14 AM
link   
I am lucky enough to remember the first moon landing....(I was13 yrs old)
The whole of the Apollo programme was a truly golden age of space exploration
I remember every mission with great fondness.
Every week Iwould Write to NASA requesting photos and Info...
I still have all the fantastic stuff they sent back to me.
I feel sad that the momentum was lost after APOLLO- That we(MAN) have not been able to escape Earth orbit ever since.

By the way JRA thanks for that great link...Impressive.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt

Americans, heros, role models. Thats what those guys were, to me.

If you remember that day, it would be nice to hear your story.
Where you were, who you were with, how did you feel?

How about the monkeys that went to space, were they heros as well ?

They showed repeats in London, England channel 2. It was when Armstrong said upon landing "one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind." A very memorable quote. Not a soul on earth that hasn't heard that.

As for the question I wasn't born yet, but I did in my young years look up to the moon and see a face. Does that mean anything? NO, it's just a thought that came to me while typing this reply.

[edit on 21-7-2004 by websurfer]

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Hmm..

Maybe the monkeys were heros, especially if they knew what they were getting into, did they? Or would they do anything for a banana?

I know the humans knew what was happening to them.
Humans also have a sense of their own mortality, so
these guys were really heros..
HOWEVER, there was TANG, tempting..
Do they still sell TANG?

also,
Some see a face, some see a Rabbit.
I think it was the Chinese that had a myth about this. Wasn't it?

new topics

top topics

join