It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious Glowing Spiral Sighted in a Remote Star System (guesses welcome)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   

None of the world's experts no what the strange spiral structure on the left is. Why the spiral glows is itself a mystery, with a leading hypothesis being illumination by light reflected from nearby stars. NASA astronomers think it is related to a star in a binary star system entering the planetary nebula phase, when its outer atmosphere is ejected. The huge spiral spans about a third of a light year across and, winding four or five complete turns, has a regularity that has never been observed before. Given the expansion rate of the spiral gas, a new layer must appear about every 800 years, a close match to the time it takes for the two stars to orbit each other. The star system that created it is known as LL Pegasi. The image was taken in near-infrared light by the Hubble Space Telescope.

source HERE

this is very strange
first of all nobody knows what it is
its not your "normal" galaxy and i would like anyone reading to have a guess

if no one knows what it is "all guesses are welcomed"
at this point im stumpted

please state what you think it is and what you think has created it

at this stage there are no wrong answers use your imagination

xploder

edit on 8-3-2011 by XPLodER because: add source link

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I think the official explanation makes sense, but it would be cool if this somehow was connected to the Norway Spiral. Like if it was a spaceship, and it traveled all the way from earth to where this picture was taken. I also first thought it might be a black hole sucking up some stuff, maybe light or gas, I would imagine that it would look something like that. Maybe it's a gas giant being formed, I'm sure one of those being created would look pretty crazy. Or it could be the aftermath of an exploded planet or star.
edit on 8-3-2011 by TupacShakur because: Some more ideas

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Oh, ffs...it couldn't have come at a more opportune time, could it!!!

It's pretty, whatever it is. But it did cause a shiver...

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Looks like someone's pulled the big plug in space, and it's all going down the sinkhole.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Don't shoot the messenger but... already posted here... www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Interesting its photographed in near infrared,wonder what it looks like in infrared,I think this will turn out to be a young black hole as light can be seen collecting around the edge,with none in the centre.Normally black holes are unobservable by normal observation,maybe this is the first embrionic black hole,only infrared ,doppler shift will determine its originality.Its certainly not a reflection of light in a dust cloud as there are clear dark region origin point.really it has to be determined if the central region is solid or a void.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

this thread is a guessing sesion
thank you for pointing out your thread
the reason i started this thread was to allow people
to have a guess at what it could be
more of a fun thread than an in depth science thread

im going to guess
this is an example of a lense in space
it is focusing in an object that itself is in a binary motion with something much more massive but "off center"
to our angle of incidence
the spiral itself is a binary unit with a much larger binary companion (hidden) inside a gravatational lense
think gravatational microscope increasing the size and perspective of the smaller binary (spiral)
and the binary partner is "hidden" in the lense because of the angle we are observing the lens

reasoning

there is a very bright object in the foreground of the picture
the same but smaller object is also in the backround
indicating a lensed image

the object itself is not masive enough to create the lens (guess)
so IMHO there is a binary companion "hidden" in the lense that illuminates the image in the infra red
the larger binary object is stripping the smaller binary spiral of gas creating the spiral shape
and the stripped gas is involved with star formation giving off the infrared signature.

a binary spiral losing gas to a bigger binary mass that is hidden in the lense

xploder
edit on 8-3-2011 by XPLodER because: add more explination

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Please direct your comments to this ongoing Thread
Mysterious Glowing Spiral Sighted in a Remote Star System

- closed -

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Please post any thoughts or opinions to this already ongoing thread thank you.

Mysterious Glowing Spiral Sighted in a Remote Star System

Thread closed

Sauron
Super-Moderator

new topics

top topics

join