It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is a spirit?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
The bible says that God is a spirit. John 4:24. I simply must know what a spirit is!!!.Does anyone have a clue?
edit on 8-3-2011 by Theophorus because: ?

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Spirit is the ghost of a person...or the soul. Damn how could you get this far in life an not know that.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Something that doesn't need to be seen to have knowledge of...like the wind

Something you feel inside you

Something every living and inanimate object has...

Its vibration... which is what all physical matter consists of....

its what is alive inside you, aside from the physical meat of existance....

God is spirit, and so are you...thus God is in everyone and everything.

I could go on but i'll cut it short there

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by RANDOMguess

The ghost of a person or the soul? that doesnt tell me anything. Spirit and soul are two different concepts. whats a ghost?

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Theophorus

How can you know they are two different concepts if you don't even now what a spirit is?

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Theophorus

The ghost of a person or the soul? that doesnt tell me anything. Spirit and soul are two different concepts. whats a ghost?

why would they be different?

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
"The spirit of a human being is thus the animating, sensitive or vital principle in that individual, similar to the soul taken to be the seat of the mental, intellectual and emotional powers"

en.wikipedia.org...

Think you will find I am correct
edit on 8-3-2011 by RANDOMguess because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANDOMguess

How can you know they are two different concepts if you don't even now what a spirit is?

Because only material things have souls. Spirit is not material. God who is a spirit can not have a soul. needless to say this is my problem.
edit on 8-3-2011 by Theophorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

why would they be different?

Exactly. And now he's asking what's a ghost....I think he is messing around.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   

A spirit is a distilled entity of what we are without the pollutants of the corporeal body. The pure essence of us.

A ghost I would assume still has many pollutants in them, which is why they remain behind.

I dunno, I'm just making it up - might write a book about it and get me some followers!

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANDOMguess

Because only material things have souls. Spirit is not material. God who is a spirit can not have a soul.

So when you are in heaven...you think you don't have a soul? then how would you exist? the soul is your essence what runs this pill of meat you call a body.

How old are you???

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

llllol

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Think of it as you are your thoughts.....even if you loose all your limbs you can still THINK! In other words we use our bodies as vessels through this world, but that is not who we ARE!

We start out with a clean slate, like a computer before it's been introduced to software. For us that software is developed by seeing with eyes as well as our other senses.

We were very much made to be spiritual and connect to those sources outside of ourselves. I believe that our precious human spirit has been stiffled.

I really like that movie Avatar and how the Navi connected to the animals in a very spiritual way. The native indians are like this.

We should pay more attention to what history has already taught us by trial and error.

link   
To clear this up once and for all the bit of scrip you reading just means god is not of this world...you can't see him/her/it

link   

I am 41 years old, and a theology major. My question is a valid question.you either answer me or not? spirit, what is it?or better yet, what is the nature of a spirit? It just seems to me the everyone here at ATS is so certain of God, however no one can even tell me what god is.That being a spirit. My question remains.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   

I am 41 years old, and a theology major. My question is a valid question.you either answer me or not? spirit, what is it?or better yet, what is the nature of a spirit?

So are you asking this question in a philosophical manner. Because even then there is not much you can get from it. I have answered you question very clearly....now I am going to bed.

GGGGOOD LUCK WITH THE REST OF THE BIBLE.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
P.s there is no way on earth you are a theology major....just no way

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
A spirit is the entire entity of a person,animal or any living thing.It weighs about 3 ounces and contains all the memories of all the incarnations you have ever had.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Humm, I see this is going to be tough. well anyway thanks for the replies.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   

I for one am not certain about God at all. And I was raised Roman Catholic. I am not saying I don't believe in a creator, and spirit. I don't know for sure. And I believe few, if any, of us do. Why can't we be comfortable with not knowing for sure? And isn't that what having faith is?
I think the most arrogant thing someone can do is claim certainty in matters of religion, reality or the human soul/spirit.
I don't know for sure. And I'm okay with that. I'll just enjoy every minute I can, be kind and loving and promote independent thought. If this is a test/necessary experience like I believe it is, I'm sure it won't matter my creed, culture or dogma.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join