It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

What is democracy?!?

page: 1
2

log in

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Hi you guys. I really felt i just need to put this up for my benefit if not for anyone else's. Recently here in Ireland we had an election and the party that has been in government for 14 years uninterrupted got decimated. A new coalition gvnmt is in power now, but I'm under no illusions, nothing is going to change. The Democratic West makes such a big deal out of giving power to the people - this is absolute bull sh*t. Excuse me but i find it outrageous that all the western countries say they are democratic and one can plainly see this is a blatant lie. First off, i dont know how other country's governments work, but here, if the winning party doesnt have a majority, they just pay off other parties to vote for them in the motions they put forward in parliament so they can do what they like then - its a joke. Also, after election day, we dont see the local guys at all, until the next election is coming up. We the people have no power whatsoever. The word Democracy comes from the Greek i think, two words, one meaning power and the other meaning people. This is also another lie. Example:

-The infamous Lisbon Treaty. Basically it meant that most of our governing power when to the EU(Ons World Government, anyone?). Ireland was the ONLY country in the EU to even VOTE on it. The other governments just accepted it straight away without any input from its citizens. We voted NO! to Lisbon. So what do they do? They change the name, and some minor details, and send it on back to the voting polls under "Lisbon 2". The Irish saw that this wasnt going to end until we voted yes so we did. Lisbon Treaty was passed through all of EU (That darn Ireland, holding it up with its voting).

-The EU/IMF Deal. We also were just "bailed out" by the EU and IMF. They forced us into taking the deal, and the interest is so high on this thing, that what our country makes per year is not enough to even pay the INTEREST, let alone the bulk of the money. We never even got a say in this deal whatsoever, no vote, no nothing. And we are going to default, make no mistake about it.

------

The whole western democracy thing is a sham to say the least. I personally hope for the uprisings in N. Africa + Middle East to spread up to EU. Im tellin' ya, if Ireland goes riotin', ill be there at the front lines. Anarchy FTW woot!


So I'm here to ask you, what is democracy, in todays world? Does it even exist or are we under an illusion? Your view/stories/etc welcome.

Thanks for reading
~Para

P.S. mods not sure if this is in right place sorry if it isn't.
edit on 7-3-2011 by ParaZep because: typos




posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
First , liberty , freedom and democracy are not interchangable . Democracy is mob rule whereby 51% get to inflict their values and beliefs on the other 49% . Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner . Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting the vote .



posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
A written and binding Constitution of some type that spells out its Citizens freedoms.
A government that is not overl;y intrusive in abridging the Constitutional rights provided.



posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Democracy is mob rule.



posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by mugger
 


The United States was never intended to be a Democracy. In fact, most of the problems we see today are the result of the democratization of the Constitutional Republic. Democracy was meant to be a tool, not an ideal. A system of government, rather than a cause for government. Why do we see our liberty being trampled at every tirn, the Constitution being undermined at every turn? It is done in the name of democracy, what "the people" want. What is best for the masses, supposedly.

"No matter who they vote for, they always vote for us." ~!Illuminati proverb



posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Democracy only functions benignly when there is no dissent. Otherwise democracy is wolves and sheep deciding what's for dinner.
Seems that most have forgotten the very purpose and intent of 'nation', nation being a state where those of similar values and beliefs assemble to find refuge and support, not a state of improbable and incomprehensible social experimentation attempting for the umpteenth time to render the impossible as the new standard.
edit on 7-3-2011 by FriedrichNeecher because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
ok thanks. im fairly ragin that they trick us into thinking democracy means freedom. a load of lies.



posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Democracy doesn't exist...

Its nothing but a word for an illusion created by the people that lead our little oligarchy

Nuff said



posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by bandito
First , liberty , freedom and democracy are not interchangable . Democracy is mob rule whereby 51% get to inflict their values and beliefs on the other 49% . Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner . Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting the vote .


If Democracy is mob rule, then what is Plutocracy? (Which is what the U.S. is. I wouldn't be surprised if Ireland is headed that direction if it hasn't already. In the name of economic crisis, of course). How is control of the government by corporations any better?

Democracy doesn't take people's Constitutional Rights away. Those are given, or are supposed to be anyway. Democracy is a majority vote that decides on a direction towards the common good with out compromising individual rights.

Unless we believe that there should be no such thing as a "society", then we must believe in some form of social direction. I would prefer a majority vote, but I know some disagree. Some people don't believe that every person should have an equal vote. But that would mean having to change the Constitution. The very thing so many of them seem intent on protecting.



new topics

top topics



 
2

log in

join