It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So who is hacking government computers around the world for financial data?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Today we have this article.
www.itpro.co.uk...

Hackers use a Trojan to compromise more than 150 French Ministry of Finance computers.

The French Ministry of Finance was hit by an unprecedented cyber attack in December, with over 150 computers compromised, according to reports.

Hackers got their hands on documents related to the current French presidency of the G20 and international economic affairs, Paris Match reported.

Patrick Pailloux, the executive director of l’ANSSI (Agence Nationale de la Securite des Systemes d’Information), said it was the first time the French state had been targeted by an attack of this scale.

And it was not that long ago we had this article.

www.cbc.ca...

Cyberattack defences in place, PM says
Harper acknowledges 'growing' threats after 3 departments hacked

Prime Minister Stephen Harper assured Canadians on Thursday that the government does have a strategy in place to protect computer networks, following the revelation that at least three key departments had their systems compromised by hackers.

Harper would not comment specifically on unprecedented attacks that targeted the Finance Department, the Treasury Board, and Defence Research and Development Canada.

But he said at a press conference in Toronto that he recognized cybersecurity was "a growing issue of importance, not just in this country, but across the world."

So is someone after the financial data of governments around the world because they want to find corruption or is there a financial war between corporations that are targeting governments to find data or could it be the global elite trying to find new ways to crush governments and there citizens like bugs so they can be all powerful. I say it could be the global elite. They have the money, they own the companies, they own the politicians, they now want to own the citizens. There close to checkmate.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
who else
china

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I guess a government that is able to send its diplomats collect droppings of competitors could do that.
For any kind of competitive advantage, in any kind of negociations.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
i'd figure the "elite" would be in control of governments. why would they need to hack into computers to find out information like that that would be so freely available?

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Maybe Anon is putting together a presentation to expose all the corporate criminals?

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by kwakakev

I doubt it, Anonymous only usually attacks people or parties directly related to it, unless they are actually becoming the proclaimed hero nobody ever thought they would be, lol.

I'd feel better knowing it was one of them though.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Here is another country attacked. And they did not just come from China.
www.washingtonpost.com...

Saturday's attacks on sites including South Korea's presidential office, the Foreign Ministry, the Defense Ministry, some financial institutions and U.S. Forces Korea followed two rounds Friday in which damage was also limited.

Lee said that 40 websites were originally targeted Friday, though only 29 came under actual attack. A total of 29 were targeted Saturday, he said.

The National Police Agency said the attacks originated from 30 servers in 18 foreign countries or territories including the United States, Israel, Russia, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Thailand, Japan, India, Brazil and Iran.

edit on 7-3-2011 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Maybe Israel is digging up current dirt on it's whipping boys so when it decides to attack Iran they have "support" from those who may not necessarily want to give it.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by JBA2848
Here is another country attacked. And they did not just come from China.
www.washingtonpost.com...

The National Police Agency said the attacks originated from 30 servers in 18 foreign countries or territories including the United States, Israel, Russia, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Thailand, Japan, India, Brazil and Iran.

One really cannot point fingers at the actual people on the internet. It can be a one man show or a one party show from a one country show using IP's from other nodes in other countries. Only selected few can really trace the origins.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
joongangdaily.joins.com...

According to the Korea Communications Commission, a total of 219 hard disks are reported to have been destroyed in the latest distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attack as of 1 p.m. yesterday. The number could rise in the coming days. Nonetheless, it is fewer than the 396 hard disks that were destroyed in 2009.

The KCC said the number of “zombie” PCs reported in the latest assault was 77,207, fewer than the 115,000 reported in 2009.

“As of Monday noon, we have discovered 98 overseas servers that were used to carry out the DDoS attack,” an official at the National Police Agency (NPA) Cyber Terror Response Center said. “The number could rise even more. First, we have sent official requests to law enforcement agencies of 35 nations, where the servers are located, to copy the servers’ hard disks.”

There are strikingly similarities in the attacks.

For starters, both attacks targeted high-profile government and corporate entities, and it remains unclear who is behind the assaults and why.

Seems in this article there saying the target is to destroy hard drives. I wonder what effect this would have in a paperless society. Even the banks are having a hard time in court now because they can't find the original paper work. If there computers get wiped out would that mean the average joe could become debt free?

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by WilliamRikeronaSegway
i'd figure the "elite" would be in control of governments. why would they need to hack into computers to find out information like that that would be so freely available?

False flag and diversion techniques. Thats why. They can just smear and fearmonger the public this way.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by John_Rodger_Cornman

care to elaborate?

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Hmmm...I'm just wondering if these attempts are Round #2 of a old thread I have...

Welcome to The Real Matrix: Time for The Red Pill?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Notice the Indian Software Co claims of hacking back in 2008 also...

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dyax-
who else
china

Yeah. China and Russia profit from hacking government files.

Also US government controllers can hack their own computers/databases (via a payrolled proxy group) and blame it on "X" group of choice. Very convenient for them.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I think that the hackings are legit. The group(s) doing this are really trying to find weaknesses in the various government's defences. Overall, nothing complex. But by hacking into SOny, Citigroup, and other low level systems, they perfect the skill of breaking higher level systems, thus are getting better. This is an issue that is constantly ignored but should be focussed by the government.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
ok, this may not be a huge deal but it is funny to me and is related. I have a little website I put some doodles on for fun... WELL

About two days ago someone started opening support tickets through my hosting service requesting my login info. I'm not just talking about a couple of times, I mean I am getting lot's of these emails concerning opening tickets, trying to retrieve the password. I wouldn't think it would be that hard for a hacker. I'm taking it as some kind of warning or planting of ideas. This began happening RIGHT after emailing and speaking to someone who claims to have quite a bit of information concerning very interesting things... I am not going to say who because the name would be recognized and I do not want to make that an issue of what I have been discussing with this person certainly not at this point in time. Interestingly, this person informed me that they had received an email about these support tickets addressed to me and couldn't figure out why. I'm not sure what this means. It certainly is a strange coincidence. this person was extremely polite and appeared to have a tone of wanting to be informative and help, but then he tells me this. Is he just being honest or perhaps trying to make suspicious? Too early to know but yeah... fun times.

i mean if it really was a hacker, surely they could bust the password... which is definitely what they seem to be trying to do. they accessed my email address obviously, which would probably not be hard to do since i used my yahoo spam address. I suppose i will have to complicate my password and completely forget it a hundred times... for a spam account.

maybe this is his way of inferring our mode of conversation is unsafe... well, I already knew that. i didn't expect to get the code for the red phone or anything or whatever that mess is.
... but I don't understand why he just would not say that. He did talk a lot sooo... I don't know. funny stuff, to me anyway.

top topics

join